Search

Locked thread and AC cert giveaway

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2005, 2:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Locked thread and AC cert giveaway

From yet another locked thread:

"Discussion of moderation -- as in several of the most recent replies -- is hardly the subject of the Air Canada Aeroplan forum even under the most liberal of interpretations. Issues of moderation can be taken up with our host."

Why can we not question or dicsuss decisions made by moderators? I believe my request about leaving cert giveaways within the forum was made reasonably, fairly and without offence to anyone. The question was related to Aeroplan, in the sense of the unique nature of Air Canada upgrade certificates that cannot be used by anyone without AC status, and also to the nature of this forum. I don't see why a question about this issue is so bad, nor a public discussion around it.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
FBYVR, I'm confused as to what you're talking about?

Giving away AC UG certs for free is perfectly ok to do, because we're not selling them. People on this forum also ask others if they have any spare certs that they are willing to give away... so are people saying that you're not allowed to ask for certs either (because it is essentially the same thing)? Confused...
Old Jan 31, 2005, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Since you are in need of discussion, and I really don't think that metadiscussion belongs in the miles and points forums (nor do I want one closure of a raucous thread to spawn additional threads that distract members), I'm going to move this to the Only Randy Petersen forum.

If he chooses, he can comment on why coupon giveaways don't belong in a specific airline forum (as he's done in the past). Or he can correct a misunderstanding. BUt let's not drag the forum into this discussion.

Thanks,
Gary
Old Jan 31, 2005, 3:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

yyznomad - it is kind of something and nothing but any threads relating to certificates are now being moved by a mega moderator to the Coupon Connection board. I have raised the question that in the case of AC upgrades (that cannot be used by anyone without status) it makes more sense to post in the AC forum about these. Often people assume that AC are like UA and can be used by anyone, and thus lots of unncessary messages are generated to the OP around this. Also, I think there has been a tradition of give away within this forum that does not always exist within the CC forum. To me it has always felt good to give and receive on this forum. However, it appears there is no flexibilty nor understanding on the part of the moderators over this issue, and any questioning of a moderators decision seems to result in a locking of a thread or perhaps a banning.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Oh ok... I understand now.
I agree with you, FBYVR. It only makes sense this way. AC upgrade certs and their usage are different than other airline upgrade certs. In addition, yes, it does bring a sense of kindness and good-will to this forum. Unfortunately though, we are under the mercy of the moderators, but I hope maybe there's a mechanism in where we can meet halfway on this? Perhaps a compromise? Perhaps have a sticky on AC cert giveaways with some rules attached to it (i.e. no selling of certs, no selling of points, etc.)? Just thinking out loud...
Old Jan 31, 2005, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I too would voice my concerns about moving the "giveaway" threads to CC. I don't think it is appropriate if for any reason but the fact that we have a kinda a "help each other" type of culture.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 4:00 pm

I agree that it makes absolutely no sense to move AC cert/pass giveaways or trades to the CC. Only AC status fliers can use them so it makes no sense. I can't recall anyone wanting to trade certs for car rentals or hotels. We either give them away for free or establish a fair trade value. When they are given away they more often than not go to regular posters in our forum and only ask for people to pay it forward when they can.

Putting otherwise useless certs onto the coupon connection is only going to add confusion for the members there as they won't be able to use them which a) frustrates someone who can't use a cert they were counting on b) takes away a cert from someone who could benefit from it.

No one was being hurt the way we did it in the past and no one will be hurt in the future. If they fly AC and want certs why aren't' they visiting the AC board to begin with where they would see them clear as day?
Old Jan 31, 2005, 4:15 pm

Programs: AC Elite
A discussion on this subject is warranted

Given that this subject in this forum has moderator approval, I will add my voice (to my alrady submitted private message to a moderator) and say that the original decision to move the threads in question was a mistake and hope that we can get back to normal soon.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 4:23 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
I just have a quick question regarding this ordeal, but let me see if I get things straight
  • The certificates in question, cannot be used by anyone else, but a member of aeroplan with elite status
  • I am certain that there are similar coupons for other airlines, that cannot be used unless you have elite status
  • Everyone else uses CC for their exchanges

Why should AC be the exception?

And the answer of "it's the way it's always been done" is not a valid one, CC was designed for that purpose, to cover all travel related exchanges.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 4:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jfe
\
And the answer of "it's the way it's always been done" is not a valid one,
Is it really such a bad answer? It encouraged a spirit of giving and community on the forum for specific AC items. No-one was bothered and it seems most liked it. Why bother messing with it? Does every forum have to be the same - I am not sure there is anything wrong with AC being different - though you suggest this is a bad thing?
Also there is history on the CC forum where AC certs always caused so much confusion (mainly with UA certs using similar designations) that posters were often advised (with success) to go to the AC forum. I think they probably are one of the few airline certs that do tend to be given away, as only a few people can use them.
Why would you worry about this except because you are a moderator?
Old Jan 31, 2005, 4:41 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FatBoyYVR
Why would you worry about this except because you are a moderator?
Worried, I am not.

What concerns me is that gleff's action is being looked at in such a negative way.

It's not bad per se that you want to limit the certificates for AC members only, but AC is a public forum, the same way that CC is.

Then again, by moving it to CC, you have the 100 post minimum, which should eliminate some of those duplicate posters that have appeared in occasion at the AC forum, trying to scam certificates.

You can always make a guideline of how the certs work, and have it posted in the stickies that are in the CC forum.

Who knows, by isolating your certs to AC only, you could be missing on some really good opportunity
Old Jan 31, 2005, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jfe

The AC Forum is an exception in many ways and it works very well that way. Giving away coupons that are of value to no-one other than AC Status Members, news topics of interest primarily to Canadians, recipes, where to stay, local information (such as which is better taxi or limo?) are all exceptions to the TOS but hurt no-one.

If the AC Forum is to remain as quirky, unique and helpful as it is, then threads like giving away AC certs need to remain in that forum.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 6:43 pm

Programs: AC Elite
Originally Posted by jfe

Ever hear of a little thing called "Distinct society"

Oh and by the way, it was not Gleff's actions that started all of this.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by jfe
The AC forum is unique and Randy himself has commented on this fact. Also, why should every forum be the same? Should we be forced to stick to the TOS then all the people who come the AC forum for help as Maple Leaf said would be be out of luck. Would you suggest that FT is hurt or helped by the helpfulness of the AC group? Does the wide ranging info given out by the AC forum actually go to the spirit of FT or hurt it? You know, travelers helping travelers

You suggest that we might benefit from offering certs on the CC. Maybe that's the biggest difference between us and the rest of the board (in general). We don't expect anything or want anything more in return for giving our certs away to other travelers That may not be in the TOS but it is far more noble than the rules being enforced IMHO
Old Jan 31, 2005, 8:31 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cattle
The AC forum is unique and Randy himself has commented on this fact. Also, why should every forum be the same? Should we be forced to stick to the TOS then all the people who come the AC forum for help as Maple Leaf said would be be out of luck. Would you suggest that FT is hurt or helped by the helpfulness of the AC group? Does the wide ranging info given out by the AC forum actually go to the spirit of FT or hurt it? You know, travelers helping travelers

You suggest that we might benefit from offering certs on the CC. Maybe that's the biggest difference between us and the rest of the board (in general). We don't expect anything or want anything more in return for giving our certs away to other travelers That may not be in the TOS but it is far more noble than the rules being enforced IMHO
So, if those are Randy's wishes, we will abide by them. I just can't believe that one little thread that was moved is the source of such controversy. So, it was moved, if this is against what is the nature of AC, it won't happen again, no big deal. We all can make mistakes, I am sure we all have

Originally Posted by Cloud Lounger
Oh and by the way, it was not Gleff's actions that started all of this.
So, what was it then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.