Wiki Posts
Search

Locked thread and AC cert giveaway

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2005, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by skofarrell
So the AC forum's "self moderation" is the preferred course of action unless someone does something that annoys you (or one of your friends)?

Can you have it both ways?
So since AC is an unmoderated board, I am unable, you're suggesting, to ask a question about penalties for TOS violations?
Old Feb 1, 2005, 12:11 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by senor_jefe
And we can get back to talking about points and miles (and all else Canadian) in our little isolationist world.
I sincerely hope this statement does not portend the division of the Air Canada forum into two separate FlyerTalk forums:
  • Air Canada — Québec
  • Air Canada — Remainder of Canada
Old Feb 1, 2005, 1:15 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by FatBoyYVR
From yet another locked thread:

"Discussion of moderation -- as in several of the most recent replies -- is hardly the subject of the Air Canada Aeroplan forum even under the most liberal of interpretations. Issues of moderation can be taken up with our host."

Why can we not question or dicsuss decisions made by moderators? I believe my request about leaving cert giveaways within the forum was made reasonably, fairly and without offence to anyone. The question was related to Aeroplan, in the sense of the unique nature of Air Canada upgrade certificates that cannot be used by anyone without AC status, and also to the nature of this forum. I don't see why a question about this issue is so bad, nor a public discussion around it.

Let me offer some clarification, re the placement of upgrade or other coupon giveaways or proposed exchanges:

1. There were exactly two threads offering upgrades that were moved to Coupon Connection by me. They came to my attention when someone used the "Report Bad Post" feature concerning the two threads.

2. Those two threads were not "locked." A re-direct for them remains in the AC forum.

3. Randy Petersen has said that he prefers
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=26
all "coupon" offers to be in Coupon Connection (bolding mine):

...the move to put the offers in Coupon Connection was correct. For the reasons offered by others, it makes sense to me that these types of offers, regardless of orgigin or program involved be allocated to CC rather than an airline/hotel specific program....

It is only appropriate and gracious for Randy's volunteer staff moderators to follow his wishes, no?

4. While Randy's "regardless of origin or program involved" settles the issue imo, I would also comment that I believe the "special" nature of AC upgrades and the fact that they have this or that restriction is just not that different from certain other airline or hote upgrades or other certs that get offered on Coupon Connection. Those interested in such certs can learn the restrictions. If those offering such certs don't wish to be bothered with responding to questions about who can use the certs, then don't answer the questions that get asked of you.

Thanks for the opportunity to clarify what is, after all, simply not that big a deal, imo. Threads get moved to the appropriate forum every day on FlyerTalk. It's helpful to the members. It honors the owner's wishes. It helps keep things orderly. Why is this particular case such a huge deal that causes some folks (naming no names here) to send borderline abusive PM's to me about how horrible this all is?

Regards,

cblaisd
Senior Moderator, and
Moderator, United and Coupon Connection
Old Feb 1, 2005, 1:55 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
I didn't know there was a Senor Jefe in FT

It could be a handle my dad would use

Old Feb 1, 2005, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by tcook052
So since AC is an unmoderated board, I am unable, you're suggesting, to ask a question about penalties for TOS violations?
No, I was just wondering if you were in the "leave us alone, don't worry about the TOS, we'll take care of it ourselves camp" or in the "I want a moderator camp".
Old Feb 1, 2005, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, I was just wondering if you were in the "leave us alone, don't worry about the TOS, we'll take care of it ourselves camp" or in the "I want a moderator camp".
How about....... "the we want the TOS applied evenly camp with regards to violations".
Old Feb 1, 2005, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Neither, since you asked. I'm in the "leave things the way they are" camp as for the most part I feel things work well without full-time moderation. And since signing on my opinion on the subject has changed a few times, I'll admit. And BTW, I don't think there's in any way a general disregard for TOS among forum participants, or an expectation that anything can be said without fear of punishment. I was just asking why so flagrant an attack has gone seemingly unpunished while other arguably more minor cases in recent months resulted in time outs being given.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Thanks for the reply. I thought that gleff had already answered the question as to why the post was initially left (and subsequently removed).

In my former career as a mod, as far a bannings/suspensions/punishment go, every case is different. I also know that in every case it is between the mod and the poster (and sometimes Randy), not the railbirds...
Old Feb 1, 2005, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Back in the day, when we could give away upgrades to whomever we wished, wherever we wished, on FT, I loved to gift my "program mates" with my excess bennies.

When the rules changed, requiring all offerings to be posted on CC, I quit offering any perks on FT. I hate posting freebies on CC because I always get inundated with e-mails from people I don't know and (based on the greedy tone of their requests) honestly don't want to know.

Here is one sad result--today we allowed 4 UA SWUs to expire rather than offer them up on CC.

I don't understand the logic for these FT restrictions and, until it is clarified, I just prefer to not participate in CC.

As a result, everybody loses.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 8:53 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Not everybody.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 9:14 pm

Greedy?

It is not always the person that replies to the offer of a coupon that is greedy. Often a member will offer to take expiring certificates off someone's hand and claim that he is doing them a favor.

BOHICA
Old Feb 1, 2005, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Punki
Back in the day, when we could give away upgrades to whomever we wished, wherever we wished, on FT, I loved to gift my "program mates" with my excess bennies.

When the rules changed, requiring all offerings to be posted on CC, I quit offering any perks on FT. I hate posting freebies on CC because I always get inundated with e-mails from people I don't know and (based on the greedy tone of their requests) honestly don't want to know.

Here is one sad result--today we allowed 4 UA SWUs to expire rather than offer them up on CC.

I don't understand the logic for these FT restrictions and, until it is clarified, I just prefer to not participate in CC.

I don't get it.

What do you mean by "until it is clarified"?

Randy clarified it perfectly last time you complained about his policies, he even addresses you personally, was he not clear enough? You might want to email him or PM him if you didn't understand his answer:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=26

If by "until it is clarified" you mean "until I get my way" then you might be in for a long wait, otherwise accept it or move on. I'm sure the people in CC won't miss a couple of coupons, and I am sure you'll find a different way to offload them. Many people manage to do successful trades there, take Ozstamps for example who completed a very successful trade a few weeks back when he was in need of some SWU's.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Punki

Oh give it a rest! So now you feel our host is not logical? Why do you bother posting on FT if it causes you so much anguish? What part of this don't you understand:

I wholeheartly agree with the moderators here. For you Punki, let me take a few minutes to pass along some information that may put the role of moderators in a different light. First of all, the move to put the offers in Coupon Connection was correct. For the reasons offered by others, it makes sense to me that these types of offers, regardless of orgigin or program involved be allocated to CC rather than an airline/hotel specific program. The clutter and other comments offered here ring true to me.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could we please not take this thread off-topic! Fatboyyvr' posted with regards to his thread being moved. It should also be pointed out that "strangely" a thread about giving away certs started by a talkboard member was not moved or deleted ( so if we are applying the rules correctly this thread should also be moved ! ) .
Old Feb 1, 2005, 9:45 pm

If a coupon giveaway is indeed inappropriately posted in an airline/hotel forum, please use the "Report Bad Post" link and it will be appropriately moved. Whether TalkBoard member, moderator, or whoever....

Otherwise -- and despite the knowledge of how much the AC crowd and I now love each other -- I don't much tread in the forum.

The two previous moved giveaway threads were removed in response to being reported.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.