Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Locked thread and AC cert giveaway

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2005, 9:53 pm

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jfe
What concerns me is that gleff's action is being looked at in such a negative way.
Think of it as "food for thought".
Old Feb 1, 2005, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by jfe
Not trying to understand how AC forum works, as I rarely frequent it, I am close to south of the border, not north of the border
Normally, when I don't understand a subject, I try to listen and learn before I wade into a discussion... but that's just me.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Not everybody.
Care to elaborate?
Old Feb 2, 2005, 1:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Let me offer some clarification, re the placement of upgrade or other coupon giveaways or proposed exchanges:

1. There were exactly two threads offering upgrades that were moved to Coupon Connection by me. They came to my attention when someone used the "Report Bad Post" feature concerning the two threads.
Can we ask who "reported" them? I find it incredible that anyone could be that petty or bothered by this to run to the teacher. I would be amazed were it a forum regular (and I think that does matter).

2. Those two threads were not "locked." A re-direct for them remains in the AC forum.

3. Randy Petersen has said that he prefers
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=26
all "coupon" offers to be in Coupon Connection (bolding mine):

It is only appropriate and gracious for Randy's volunteer staff moderators to follow his wishes, no?
Surely a key word here is "prefers"? That suggests to me that they could be left where they were, in light of some of the reasons given to you that you chose to ignore and not even to discuss in any way. Also, moderators can and do use discretion all the time, are you really saying you are not allowed to think at all?

4. While Randy's "regardless of origin or program involved" settles the issue imo, I would also comment that I believe the "special" nature of AC upgrades and the fact that they have this or that restriction is just not that different from certain other airline or hote upgrades or other certs that get offered on Coupon Connection. Those interested in such certs can learn the restrictions. If those offering such certs don't wish to be bothered with responding to questions about who can use the certs, then don't answer the questions that get asked of you.
On this clearly we (and many other AC regulars) disagree. Sadly though while you have power, what can we do? Will you clarify that you will still continue to move threads giving away certs despite all the reasons given against this?

Thanks for the opportunity to clarify what is, after all, simply not that big a deal, imo. Threads get moved to the appropriate forum every day on FlyerTalk. It's helpful to the members. It honors the owner's wishes. It helps keep things orderly. Why is this particular case such a huge deal that causes some folks (naming no names here) to send borderline abusive PM's to me about how horrible this all is?
If it is not a big deal then why not just leave it alone and spend your time moderating serious issues rather than trivial things in a forum that you are not a moderator nor regular user of? As for the PMs perhaps people simply feel frustrated at arrogant actions?
Old Feb 2, 2005, 2:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
It is true that Randy Petersen once wrote:

I wholeheartly agree with the moderators here. For you Punki, let me take a few minutes to pass along some information that may put the role of moderators in a different light. First of all, the move to put the offers in Coupon Connection was correct. For the reasons offered by others, it makes sense to me that these types of offers, regardless of orgigin or program involved be allocated to CC rather than an airline/hotel specific program. The clutter and other comments offered here ring true to me.
I have known Randy a good long time, like him tremendously, very much enjoy his company, and appreciate his gift of FT. I do not, however, view him as an all-knowing godhead, who is always right about all things at all times. Sometimes even he can be wrong, as I am sure he will learn once he gets married. :

He has offered his opinion on this subject, without substantiation, other than it "makes sense to him". In this particular instance, I, along with all of the AC posters above, just happen to disagree. I do believe that it is still within the TOS to politely disagree, is it not?

Out of respect for Randy's opinion, with which I still wholeheartedly disagree, I stopped posting gifts on FT, and started giving away upgrades to total strangers at the airport (which is actually a lot more fun).

This policy may well be FT approved and accepted, but it will always create a bone of contention, because it is illogical, despite the fact that it has somehow earned the "Randy" seal of approval.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
Neither, since you asked. I'm in the "leave things the way they are" camp as for the most part I feel things work well without full-time moderation. And since signing on my opinion on the subject has changed a few times, I'll admit. And BTW, I don't think there's in any way a general disregard for TOS among forum participants, or an expectation that anything can be said without fear of punishment. I was just asking why so flagrant an attack has gone seemingly unpunished while other arguably more minor cases in recent months resulted in time outs being given.
You would almost think that "the boss" needs to support his moderators when a decision to ban is made,whether he agrees or not with the ban.

Could be why there is a difference.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I just stumbled upon this one now in ORP. It seems to me there is a concerted effort to get a member banned. That's one sure way to keep a person from getting banned - make it look like it's a witch hunt.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 7:26 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Fatboy, I apologise for my part of having taken this thread OT over bannings.

I am afraid that the moderators fail to be able to "logic me" as to why it is good the for the AC forum regulars to have to trade/giveaway certs in the Coupon Connection.

The trading/donating of certs in the AC forum has been highly successful. I have no interest in giving away a coveted SSWU in the CC forum. I will be bombarded by trolls who do not contribute to AC on a regular basis, and some of the same trolls will be looking to profit from my giving.

To the mods, can I start a thread in the AC forum to give/trade away a 2005/6 SSWU? Yes or no?
Old Feb 2, 2005, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Punki
Out of respect for Randy's opinion, with which I still wholeheartedly disagree, I stopped posting gifts on FT, and started giving away upgrades to total strangers at the airport (which is actually a lot more fun).
Except, of course, for those four SWUs that just expired:

Here is one sad result--today we allowed 4 UA SWUs to expire rather than offer them up on CC.
How very, very sad for the total strangers!
Old Feb 2, 2005, 9:02 am

Programs: AC Elite
Originally Posted by taupo
To the mods, can I start a thread in the AC forum to give/trade away a 2005/6 SSWU? Yes or no?
A good question indeed - If so, I will post the availability of a SSWU expiring Feb 28, 2005
Old Feb 2, 2005, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
When the rules changed, requiring all offerings to be posted on CC, I quit offering any perks on FT. I hate posting freebies on CC because I always get inundated with e-mails from people I don't know and (based on the greedy tone of their requests) honestly don't want to know.

Here is one sad result--today we allowed 4 UA SWUs to expire rather than offer them up on CC.
What, no takers on TOBB or OneList?

FewMiles..
Old Feb 2, 2005, 9:19 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Cloud Lounger
A good question indeed - If so, I will post the availability of a SSWU expiring Feb 28, 2004
I hope that you meant February 28, 2005...
Old Feb 2, 2005, 9:19 am
Suspended

taupo writes:

I am afraid that the moderators fail to be able to "logic me" as to why it is good the for the AC forum regulars to have to trade/giveaway certs in the Coupon Connection.
Precisely! The rule appears to be a rule because it is a rule. Beyond that, there does not appear to be a logical reason.

The trading/donating of certs in the AC forum has been highly successful. I have no interest in giving away a coveted SSWU in the CC forum. I will be bombarded by trolls who do not contribute to AC on a regular basis, and some of the same trolls will be looking to profit from my giving.
That has been exactly my experience, taupo, which is the reason I will no longer post gifts in CC.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 9:52 am

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
That has been exactly my experience, taupo, which is the reason I will no longer post gifts in CC.
I am curious as to why you never offered those SWU's on moremiles or to your friend ozstamps who was so badly needed SWU's very recently. Of all people on flyertalk, I know you have email friends who would have enjoyed these.

It would be horrible if they went unused despite so many oppotunities to share them just because you wanted to spite Randy.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 10:21 am
Suspended

robb writes:

It would be horrible if they went unused just because you wanted to spite Randy.

What a very odd interpretation. I do, in fact, disagree with Randy on this particular issue. We are, however, both mature adults, who are perfectly capable of disagreeing on a specific point without any negative implications attaching to that disagreement. One would think that this would also be a required skill for all Moderators.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.