MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
Figured this was the best thread to post this to since it applies to Canadian credit cards and applies to multiple airlines...

If you have a Canadian VISA Infinite Privileged (such as the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privileged, CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite Privileged or the RBC Avion Visa Infinite Privileged), you may be entitled for 12 free GoGo WiFi internet passes to use on flights.

I received the email last year but missed the deadline to sign up. I kept the email and tried again and the link takes me to this year’s offer. You need to provide your VISA Infinite Privileged card number to validate the offer and pases appear immediately. Must activate by Sept 28.

Passes expire in 12 months. Not sure if they can be used on International AC flights, according to their terms and conditions, however Air Canada only sells regular NA passes for all its flights. If you’ve been on an international flight with wifi and used wifi using a pass, I’d love to hear feedback here or on the wifi thread within the AC forum.

If you received last year’s email and kept it, you can use that link or click here:
link
Not sure if another email blast will be sent for 2018

Remember, this is for their privilege card product which has a much higher AF ($399)
unclepants, jerry305 and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond, AC 50K
Originally Posted by jerry305
So, you walk up to the front desk at a Marriott property and buy a $250 gift card?
I would guess that that should work, because it's a purchase through that Marriott hotel's Amex merchant account.
Confirmed this works. Received an email with the $50 statement two days after purchasing the $250 Marriott gift card at a participating property in downtown Toronto.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by turbov6

Confirmed this works. Received an email with the $50 statement two days after purchasing the $250 Marriott gift card at a participating property in downtown Toronto.
Yep me too!
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by turbov6

Originally Posted by Watkin
Yep me too!
May I ask which property? Having trouble finding a location in the burbs that has gift cards.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:58 am

Did mine at Courtyard downtown. I've tried Marriotts in the past in the burbs, always ended up going to a courtyard. I'd call first.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond, AC 50K
Originally Posted by raspyrogue
May I ask which property? Having trouble finding a location in the burbs that has gift cards.
I picked the Marriott Gift card up at the Marriott Downtown Toronto Eaton Centre

I ran a quick search for other full service Marriott properties and could only find the Toronto Airport Marriott and the Markham Marriott. There was also one in Niagara Falls. Good luck!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
Figured this was the best thread to post this to since it applies to Canadian credit cards and applies to multiple airlines...

If you have a Canadian VISA Infinite Privileged (such as the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privileged, CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite Privileged or the RBC Avion Visa Infinite Privileged), you may be entitled for 12 free GoGo WiFi internet passes to use on flights.

I received the email last year but missed the deadline to sign up. I kept the email and tried again and the link takes me to this year’s offer. You need to provide your VISA Infinite Privileged card number to validate the offer and pases appear immediately. Must activate by Sept 28.

Passes expire in 12 months. Not sure if they can be used on International AC flights, according to their terms and conditions, however Air Canada only sells regular NA passes for all its flights. If you’ve been on an international flight with wifi and used wifi using a pass, I’d love to hear feedback here or on the wifi thread within the AC forum.

If you received last year’s email and kept it, you can use that link or click here:
link
Not sure if another email blast will be sent for 2018

Remember, this is for their privilege card product which has a much higher AF ($399)
I'm guessing the offer doesn't give 12 passes every year right? We'll have to wait and see if the offer comes back for 2019? It would be very interesting if this works for international flights with different carriers.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
I received the offer last year, but never took (forgot to take) the offer. It worked for me this year, but haven’t received any email yet.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:05 pm

There is a promo right now for CIBC Aventura® and CIBC Gold Visa* - FYF $100 travel credit and 15,000 Aventura points.

Do we have any data on if anyone has been able to apply more than once and not be charge the annual fee?

1 You are eligible for this annual fee rebate only if you apply and are approved for your first CIBC credit card. If you are a current or former CIBC cardholder, we may approve your application but you will not be eligible for the annual fee rebate
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Does the AMEX rewards transfer 40% bonus to Avios apply to Canadians as well or just down south?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:23 am

Just US
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait

There's a new batch of PointBreaks hotel room specials from IHG / Holiday Inn hotels, for now till November 30, 2018.

PointBreaks are reward stays available starting at 5,000 points.
They also include offers for 5,000, 10,000 or 15,000 points... I'd consider 10,000 or 15,000 as "not bad", but 5,000 can be a really fantastic deal.

If you don't have points, you can purchase points from the IHG website.
Better yet, (I believe) there is a way that IHG members who already have at least 5,000 points can buy 5,000 points for US $40, or buy 10,000 points (2 nights' worth) for US $70. This workaround is discussed in other threads. PM me if you have questions.
Other methods are discussed starting around post 3925 of this thread...

Full list of PointBreaks hotels in Canada, US & overseas:
https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/content/us/en/redeem-rewards/pointbreaks ​​​​

Hotels in Canada available for
5,000 points:
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Saskatchewan

for 10,000:
Holiday Inn & Suites Grande Prairie-Conference Ctr
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Sherwood Park-Edmonton Area

for 15,000:
Holiday Inn Calgary-Macleod Trail South
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Calgary
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Calgary South-Macleod Trail South
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:28 am

What's the best signup bonus for Canadians?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by olwagner
What's the best signup bonus for Canadians?
Signup bonus for what? AFAIK there's exactly 0 IHG credit cards.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:02 pm

For anything. I'm looking at airlines miles, but all I see is 15,000 miles, which simply doesn't compare. Is there a Canadian credit card worth churning with more than 15,000 airlines miles as a signup bonus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.