MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 8:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
I'd be really shocked if Aimia had the balls to devalue Aeroplan now, after all this. I would think the miles would be safe for another year or two at least, up to the point where they'll be discontinuing their contract and Star Alliance seats will stop being available - then the miles will be worthless.

I wouldn't hesitate to keep miles in the account now, though maybe not in the millions (as the credit card churners might have).
Old May 13, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: SPG,Marriott,Hilton,Delta,US airways,Hyatt,Fairmont,American A,Priority Cub,Discovery,etc
Same message

Just applied by link given in wiki and received same message! Best Western cc.
Old May 14, 2017, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by jerry305
Data point:
I tried again. I get the same error message.
So, early in May, twice, I went through GCR's website to apply for an Alaska MBNA MC.
As you may recall, the GCR website is up and referring the card, but MBNA's website had de-listed the card.
Each time, at the end of the application, and after a long wait, I got an error message.

Good news:
Despite getting an error message at the end of the application, I just received an Alaska Airlines MC in the mail.

I made 2 applications over the span of about a week.
I'll let you know if I get a second envelope from MBNA, too.

Bad news?:
I'm not very familiar with GCR's interface...
- I have tracking ID's in my Click History for both card applications
- GCR interface says "• You have 0 active referrals."
Should it say that I have 1 (or 2!) active referrals??

Last edited by jerry305; May 14, 2017 at 5:15 pm
Old May 14, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Originally Posted by jerry305
So, early in May, twice, I went through GCR's website to apply for an Alaska MBNA MC.
As you may recall, the GCR website is up and referring the card, but MBNA's website had de-listed the card.
Each time, at the end of the application, and after a long wait, I got an error message.

Good news:
Despite getting an error message at the end of the application, I just received an Alaska Airlines MC in the mail.

I made 2 applications over the span of about a week.
I'll let you know if I get a second envelope from MBNA, too.

Bad news?:
I'm not very familiar with GCR's interface...
- I have tracking ID's in my Click History for both card applications
- GCR interface says "• You have 0 active referrals."
Should it say that I have 1 (or 2!) active referrals??
Active referrals are people that you've referred to join GCR. Don't worry about that
Old May 14, 2017, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teriyaki
Active referrals are people that you've referred to join GCR. Don't worry about that
Thanks!
Old May 15, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: SE 100K
I read the previous page but anyone have other suggestions / thoughts on new CC / points strategy with the recent AC 2020 Loyalty Program announcement? Burn AE?

Collect / save AMEX points for their versatility?
Old May 15, 2017, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanadianMike
I read the previous page but anyone have other suggestions / thoughts on new CC / points strategy with the recent AC 2020 Loyalty Program announcement? Burn AE?

Collect / save AMEX points for their versatility?
Here's a thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...gies-here.html[/QUOTE]
Old May 18, 2017, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Is there any way to get the Canadian Diners Club Rewards Mastercard ?
Old May 19, 2017, 6:50 am

So...my experience with the CIBC Aeroplan Privilege card turned out pretty well.

This card has a $399 annual fee, but 50k Aeroplan points and zone 2 boarding on AC are pretty good return on that fee.

The fine print said that if you had a CIBC card previously you wouldn't be eligible for the bonus. My points just posted today (25k + 25k for hitting $1000 spending). Sa-weet.
Old May 19, 2017, 4:03 pm

Earn 400 AIR MILES Bonus Miles when you spend $200 or more at eligible gas stations

Just received this offer by email for my American Express Air Miles Platinum.
Filling up could bring you closer to a future flight. Welcome to the first offer in the American Express Soar into More program.

Between June 1 - July 31, 2017, when you use your enrolled American Express®* AIR MILES® Card to make purchases that total $200 or more (in a single purchase or cumulative purchases) at eligible gas stations in Canada, you could earn 400 Bonus Miles! That’s on top of the Miles you already earn using your American Express AIR MILES Card!

Enrollment is required: Only the first 50,000 eligible Basic American Express AIR MILES Consumer and Small Business Cards to successfully enroll between May 15 - May 22, 2017 are eligible for this offer.1 So don't miss out – enroll today.
I value AIR MILES at a minimum of 10.5¢ each (wich is what I would get if I switched to Cash Miles) so this bonus alone is worth $42 to me.
The return on that $200 "gas" spend will be 420 AIR MILES, or 22.05% based on the above valuation.

The enrollment deadline is May 22nd, 2017.
Old May 20, 2017, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by efe83
For RBC avion cc holders, there's a little promotion with American A now, 20% bonus for converting RBC rewards points to AAdvtantage miles.
Not really a 'bonus" considering the devalued it by 30% two weeks ago.
Old May 21, 2017, 7:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by imverge
Not really a 'bonus" considering the devalued it by 30% two weeks ago.
nor really a bonus since the post you quoted was from four years ago.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:18 am

so if the recent bonus isn't a bonus but the bonus was a bonus 4 years ago, then it must be a bonus .
Old May 22, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAAdvantage
Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
Yes, but at a rate on par with other "third party" cards -- which will make them as useless as Air Miles for getting a business class flight to Asia.
I think that is the key statement in the Air Canada press release. I suspect there will be no more J class redemptions - putting this program on a par with all the other mediocre 1% return programs. Ughhhh. What to do except collect Amex MR and see where that program leads? I plan to burn my remaining Aeroplan miles. Anyone have suggestions for an alternate Star Alliance program in which to collect miles?
Old May 22, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by pjcanoe
I think that is the key statement in the Air Canada press release. I suspect there will be no more J class redemptions - putting this program on a par with all the other mediocre 1% return programs. Ughhhh. What to do except collect Amex MR and see where that program leads? I plan to burn my remaining Aeroplan miles. Anyone have suggestions for an alternate Star Alliance program in which to collect miles?
Yes. Singapore. MR-SPG-Singapore. No regrets...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.