Buying Apple and getting points [includes hardware and iTunes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Apple and getting points [includes hardware and iTunes]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by milesmuncher
Careful - I noticed that several portal explicitly say that pre-orders for the iPhone 5 do NOT count (UR, Citi TY)
I bought mine through United Mileage Plus Shopping, which did *not* have any exclusions at the time I bought it, and I have the screen shots to prove it. Of course, it does now. Lets see if I win the inevitable battle on this one.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:46 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Jesperss
AMEX doubles the manufacturer warranty however it only provides 90 days for accidental damage. The chances of something going wrong with the phone (outside of accidental damage) within year one to two is pretty nil.
I disagree sooooo strongly with this. I've had a few instances of issues in that time with Amex easily covering it.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:21 pm

Even if warranty pays -- payout is limited to the purchase price $199 and not the replacement costs of an off contract iphone.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
if you use Hilton AMEX you receive 6 points per dollar with Telecom/Cellular spend.

Off topic, but I was looking at the new Razr M and I note Wirefly and LetsTalk have some interesting portal points/cash back. For instance United Mall states 1600 miles flat for phone purchase with plan at Wirefly. No points for accessories purchases. I don't believe either of those retailers though sell the iphone.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, most hotel programs
Does anyone know of any Verizon cell phone contract signup deals for points or miles? I think AA used to have one but doesn't seem to now. The only thing I've found through shopping portals is points on purchasing the actual phone not contract signups.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by koctail
if you use Hilton AMEX you receive 6 points per dollar with Telecom/Cellular spend.

Off topic, but I was looking at the new Razr M and I note Wirefly and LetsTalk have some interesting portal points/cash back. For instance United Mall states 1600 miles flat for phone purchase with plan at Wirefly. No points for accessories purchases. I don't believe either of those retailers though sell the iphone.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the Hilton Amex only earns 6x back on "service payments" for wireless phones - not the actual phones. Would be nice if it included phones!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:00 am

Anyone have advice on how to upgrade to the iPhone5 from an older model, while keeping the same number AND getting the most points possible.

I have the Ink card, so my thought is to call up AT&T, order the phone through them, pay with Ink, and have them ship me a phone which I can then activate and keep the same number.

Any thoughts?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by flyerM
Anyone have advice on how to upgrade to the iPhone5 from an older model, while keeping the same number AND getting the most points possible.

I have the Ink card, so my thought is to call up AT&T, order the phone through them, pay with Ink, and have them ship me a phone which I can then activate and keep the same number.

Any thoughts?
Read the previous 33 posts, excluding those that ask stupid questions and you will be golden.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:51 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Any extra bonus for Apple hardware?

Mrs nwflyboy is clearly hinting that she wants Santa to bring her an iPad for being such a good girl all year and churning credit cards whenever her dear husband suggested doing so would be a good thing to do.

So before I whip out my stack of credit cards, I figured I would be remiss if I didn't investigate what options I had to optimize the purchase.

What are the best ways to leverage this purchase? I don't suppose they sell iPads at Office Depot, do they?...

Thanks!
Old Nov 6, 2012, 2:40 am

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
I would try your best to use AMEX when buying for the extended warranty. In the past years Apple increased there x on chase UR during the holidays so I would be hold off a few weeks at least.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
discover has 5% cashback on apple.com and 5% off online purchase this quarter up to $1500. I believe both stack..
Old Nov 6, 2012, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by MSPDeltaDude
I would try your best to use AMEX when buying for the extended warranty. In the past years Apple increased there x on chase UR during the holidays so I would be hold off a few weeks at least.
I heard Apple was 10x for 1 day (Black Friday) last year, don't know if this was true. Was it increased on any other days?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:12 am

Best Buy is in the 5x UR bonus category for Chase Freedom this quarter. They sell iPads.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:06 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Mrs nwflyboy is clearly hinting that she wants Santa to bring her an iPad for being such a good girl all year and churning credit cards whenever her dear husband suggested doing so would be a good thing to do.

So before I whip out my stack of credit cards, I figured I would be remiss if I didn't investigate what options I had to optimize the purchase.

What are the best ways to leverage this purchase? I don't suppose they sell iPads at Office Depot, do they?...

Thanks!
Last year on Black Friday Chase had a special for Apple purchases through the Ultimate Rewards mall of 10x. Why not load up your BB with some vanillas... and then hoping that they make the same offer this year you will be getting 15x on your purchase. You still have plenty of time until Christmas so I would wait and see what they do in the next couple of weeks.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
Any extra bonus for Apple hardware?

I made a decision to ignore bonuses when it comes to expensive electronics and only use my am ex due to extended warranty. It paid off big time the other day. My HP laptop bit the dust 2 days after the warranty ended. Thank goodness I bought it on my Starwood am ex. After filing the claim they couldn't fix it so they gave me my full purchase price back! Within days I had an $800 credit on my card.

So in the last month we have purchased some items at best buy. As much as I wanted to use my Freedom for the 5% bonus I went with Am Ex to get the extended warranty!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.