Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Apple and getting points [includes hardware and iTunes]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2013, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
5x UR points for buying new iphone

Six months ago, I bought a prepaid Samsung Note II on tmobile.com with my ink card, thinking I would get 5x on the $700. But no, turns out the fine print says not valid on devices, only the monthly fees.

Well, now my wife wants an iphone 5s. Is there a way to get 5x on this purchase? We are considering tmobile again, this time rather than paying the lump sum when you buy, you pay a small downpayment and then monthly payments. Does anyone know if the monthly payments (of the phone, not the plan) count towards 5x on ink cards? Or if there's a better way to get 5x on the phone purchase? I read someone on the blogs/FT that paying in store gets the 5x, anyone verify?
Old Sep 22, 2013, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Six months ago, I bought a prepaid Samsung Note II on tmobile.com with my ink card, thinking I would get 5x on the $700. But no, turns out the fine print says not valid on devices, only the monthly fees.

Well, now my wife wants an iphone 5s. Is there a way to get 5x on this purchase? We are considering tmobile again, this time rather than paying the lump sum when you buy, you pay a small downpayment and then monthly payments. Does anyone know if the monthly payments (of the phone, not the plan) count towards 5x on ink cards? Or if there's a better way to get 5x on the phone purchase? I read someone on the blogs/FT that paying in store gets the 5x, anyone verify?
Purchasing a device doesn't net the 5x points.

However, noted on some blog I was perusing yesterday, you can put the cost of the phone on your normal monthly bill, with some carriers. Specifically, VZN was mentioned. This *may* make the purchase act like being billed for services and qualify for the 5x points. Report back if it does. ;-)

You're probably better off using some of the trade-in deals that are going on, where you get $100 off (essentially a 5c for free), for trading in an old cell phone. That's equivalent of 10k points.. vs. maybe 2500 or so for a $500 purchase @5x points. Discount > pts value, if you can get it.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by PtsJunkieWI
Purchasing a device doesn't net the 5x points.

However, noted on some blog I was perusing yesterday, you can put the cost of the phone on your normal monthly bill, with some carriers. Specifically, VZN was mentioned. This *may* make the purchase act like being billed for services and qualify for the 5x points. Report back if it does. ;-)

You're probably better off using some of the trade-in deals that are going on, where you get $100 off (essentially a 5c for free), for trading in an old cell phone. That's equivalent of 10k points.. vs. maybe 2500 or so for a $500 purchase @5x points. Discount > pts value, if you can get it.
Thanks. Do the trade-in programs accept Iphone 4 with busted front and back glass?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like Chase is still working here. 1 pt/$ max of two phones in 30 days.

I will probably get three, so I'll just order one through a different Chase account. All will be paid for with Amex.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:05 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3.2MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Thanks

Thanks for the information that device purchases don't count on INK for telecom. We will be purchasing five new iPhones soon. Thanks to rufflesinc for posing my next question - although in our case it is a iPhone 4s not a 4.

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Thanks. Do the trade-in programs accept Iphone 4 with busted front and back glass?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by olddallas
Thanks for the information that device purchases don't count on INK for telecom. We will be purchasing five new iPhones soon. Thanks to rufflesinc for posing my next question - although in our case it is a iPhone 4s not a 4.

I don't personally know about the trade in particulars and details. I got an iPhone 5 last year, and see no reason to incrementally upgrade.

Here's a link to some info about theBest Buy offer, though this is from 10 days ago
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...free-iphone-5/

I saw a more recent one on Flipboard, 2 days ago... But apparently it was very limited time and looks like it might be over already
(Google results)
http://www.bby.com/iphones/
Free iPhone 5c Trade-in Offer – Through Sunday, Sept. 22, customers who trade in an iPhone 4 or 4s at Best Buy or Best Buy Mobile specialty stores will receive a guaranteed minimum trade-in value of $100, making the iPhone 5c 16GB free. For complete details, visitwww.bestbuy.com/tradein
You might find an active offer in store or elsewhere. Google is your friend.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 7:59 am

Staples to sell iPads/iPods online next month 3x-8x UR's

http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/26/apple-...al-next-month/

Assuming that there will be no exclusions iPads and iPods are expected to be available at Staples online as early as Oct 1. Hopefully we can buy directly through the UR portal for 3x points for those that want to use an Amex card for the extended warranty. Ideally the 8x point strategy will work as well.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
Is there any benefit to trying to purchase in store, like at a AT&T or T-Mobile store? I did a quick lookup of the MCC for Visa, and the T-Mobile ones at least are listed as "PHONE SERVICES & EQUIPMENT - 4812", so my guess is it wouldn't qualify?

Does this also mean that any refill cards bought in store to top up a prepaid plan won't qualify for the 5x bonus too?
Old Sep 28, 2013, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by y2chen
Is there any benefit to trying to purchase in store, like at a AT&T or T-Mobile store? I did a quick lookup of the MCC for Visa, and the T-Mobile ones at least are listed as "PHONE SERVICES & EQUIPMENT - 4812", so my guess is it wouldn't qualify?

Does this also mean that any refill cards bought in store to top up a prepaid plan won't qualify for the 5x bonus too?

I've read people not getting 5x for refill cards. I usually buy them at OD to make sure I get 5x.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 2:59 am

Programs: airberlin gold, club carlson gold, hhonors gold
ive searched high and low through this thread and just wanted to be clear on this and appreciate the help:
being located outside the u.s, having no chase or any other u.s credit cards, having no purchase protection for amex and not being able to get an education discount - my best strategy is to just go through the mileage plus shopping portal to get 1x points right?

pretty grim
Old Oct 23, 2013, 9:54 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Manufacture Spend for new Apple laptop

I'm trying to figure out the best way that I can manufacture spend in order to get a nice "discount" on a new Apple laptop. It seems to me the best way to do this would be via the $200 V GC from OD. I'd be getting 5x points plus could then purchase via the UR portal and use my freedom card in order to then use the points for a statement credit.

If I could find a way to get a decent point value for Membership rewards I would do that (2x for $500 GC at grocery stores)... but I can't find a way to get point per penny value like I can with UR. Anyone have any luck doing something like this with Membership Rewards?

Before the flaming starts... yes I know that using points for merchandise is not the best use of points... but with a new baby cash is tight and I'd rather save a certain dollar value on a laptop than a plane ticket at this exact moment.

Thanks!
Old Oct 23, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
It depends on what outlets sell Apple computers...where can you get them besides Apple and Best Buy? That will expand your options.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
Start recycling ink
Old Oct 23, 2013, 10:10 am
wcj

deleted

Last edited by wcj; Jun 29, 2014 at 4:40 pm
Old Oct 23, 2013, 10:15 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by wcj
I guess I don't really see this as manufactured spend. Seems to me you are just looking for a discount or a way to rack up more points when buying a laptop to then use as a discount, so I would refer you here.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...re-itunes.html
Yeah I am not sure the best place for this thread. I'm not necessarily interested in getting the points for purchasing the laptop though. I am interested in the best way to manufacture the points to pay for the laptop (or get the best discount via points). I am curious if anyone has had luck getting a good redemption value via UR or MR...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.