Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Apple and getting points [includes hardware and iTunes]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by roki
Many people purchase AppleCare for the convenience, and for those people, AMEX's extended warranty doesn't quite have the allure. In general, I completely agree, though.
To clarify: AMEX's extended warranty and Apple Care are not mutually exclusive; you may stack Apple Care with AMEX's extended warranty, effectively extending Apple Care by a year. I've done this 3-4 times.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
To clarify: AMEX's extended warranty and Apple Care are not mutually exclusive; you may stack Apple Care with AMEX's extended warranty, effectively extending Apple Care by a year. I've done this 3-4 times.
Thus extending your warranty to 3 years? I was not aware of that. It doesn't exactly seem in line with AMEX's T&C, although I definitely could be reading this incorrectly. Interesting thing to note:

Excluded Items (From T&C):
10. items still under installment billing;
So would Next/similar systems not be covered by this?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 2:10 am

Undecided if I should buy the iPhone 6 with Ink (Staples or AT&T 5x) or AMEX for extended warranty. If I use Ink, I'd probably get Applecare, whic his superior to AMEX extra year warranty.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:39 pm

Ink Plus extended warranty

Doesn't the Ink Plus have extended warranty feature like AMEX?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:04 am

Be sure to note the rewards mall terms; they've recently been changed to state "Not eligible on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus or pre-order purchases." I had to send a direct message to get the points (as my order was placed before the change in terms).
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Saw on Big Habitat today that there is a MacBook Pro-R 15 on Groupon for $2399 ($99 off)

Groupon is currently offering 10x on SouthWest portal.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by trouble747
Be sure to note the rewards mall terms; they've recently been changed to state "Not eligible on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus or pre-order purchases." I had to send a direct message to get the points (as my order was placed before the change in terms).
IME, there can be some favorable flexibility in what the T&Cs say and what is credited with Apple. I've been pleasantly surprised twice with excluded items, though not specifically with the iPhone 6/Plus.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 4:59 pm

Anyone with luck getting the bonus through the carrier when upgrading? AA offers 3300 miles for new activations through t-mobile, for example - are there any that offer the miles on an upgrade?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
What is the cheapest way to get a 2 year warranty on the iPhone 6?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
What is the cheapest way to get a 2 year warranty on the iPhone 6?
Buy it with an Amex that automatically doubles the warranty?

I guess that only really helps for an unsubsidized phone since they will only cover an amount up to what you charged.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:13 am
Suspended

I need to get a few iPhones and am trying to figure out a good way to leverage the Discover 5% and Freedom 5% for some interesting discounts. Any ideas? I was thinking gift cards but can't see a retailer on the Freedom list who sells Apple store gift cards. The ShopDiscover portal excludes the iP6.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:49 pm

Here's a data point..

I just picked up an iPhone 6 directly through Apple. I clicked through the UR Mall which said 3x Points for purchases, but phones require a 2 year contract. Booo! But I figured why not give it a go!

I have a Freedom but needed to use my United to hit my min spend (Yeahh 50K miles!) so I grabbed a T-Mobile unlocked for a painful $790 using the United and didn't really expect to get a bonus...

Well, as it turns out I just did, they gave me another 1498 points which took about week!

Extra Bonus, gotta love that!!
Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA, Hyatt
FYI, if you buy the new iPhone directly from ATT and use your Ink Plus card, you get 5 points/$ because it falls in the cell phone landline and internet services category.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:46 pm

I see my local grocery stores (Vons, Ralphs) are selling Apple gift cards now (not the same as iTunes). They're silver in color. I can get 5% off with AMEX Blue on these, but I'd rather get the AMEX warranty.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like the best B&H portal bonus is now 1.65%.

Anyway have a better way to get a new MacBook Pro?

If I use the Apple Store I'll have sales tax . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.