Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Apple and getting points [includes hardware and iTunes]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond
Buying Apple and getting points [includes hardware and iTunes]

Has anyone had success configuring a custom computer you know to be available at a local Apple store and purchasing it online for in store check out.

I bought a stock model Apple via the UR mall for in store pick up a few weeks ago, but the gf is about to buy the fully loaded Retina MBP and I'd really hate to make a 3500 purchase with no point multiplier...

EDIT: side note, is it just me or are all the Apple portal offers really crappy right now... thanks AMEX

Last edited by DC777Fan; Aug 15, 2012 at 12:00 pm
Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
Best deal is Upromise.com 5% off apple. It's not points but I think I'd rather save the money. Or you can try and buy the product from a authorized re-seller site that doesn't charge any sales tax would be even better.

Apple tends not to give a very big discount anywhere, they do run promos for points here and there though like you said.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 3:43 pm

Not to hijack the thread but have some fun watching your custom Apple model make it over to the the USA. You can see the factory in China etc just by tracking the fedx number and using google. Last time I was issued a fed x tracking number before the apple model exited the factory. The speed of the entire process is just amazing.

It is kind of amazing and also kind of depressing realizing why the USA economy is done as we know it.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:52 pm

Airlines Miles for Iphone 5 purchase with Contract?

Hi,

I am wondering if earning airline miles for Iphone 5 purchase with contract.
Thanks.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
You can buy the phone through the Apple Store and earn miles/ points through most airline/ hotel shopping malls.

Not sure on other options.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: AA,Platinum AmEx, SPG Gold,WN CP
Can you buy from At&T using the Ink Bold to receive 5 points per dollar?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by normandy7
Can you buy from At&T using the Ink Bold to receive 5 points per dollar?
That would be pretty huge if Ink classifies ATT as telecom.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:45 pm

Just an FYI, when I purchased my Galaxy S III from Sprint with my Ink Bold it did classify it as telecom and I received 5x on it.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by giantreesemar
That would be pretty huge if Ink classifies ATT as telecom.
Of course ATT is in the 5x category for the Ink Bold...at least for monthly billing. I assume hardware purchases are processed the same way.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:00 am

There is a report somewhere on these boards of someone paying their bill in person at verizon and not getting 5x because it was coded as merchandise. They ultimately got the points added manually, but FYI.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: All of the Above
Keep in mind if you purchase the iphone w/ anything other than an Am Ex, you may be limiting your purchase protection guarantee, as Chase's isn't as easy and consumer friendly as Am Ex's.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by DavidAL
Keep in mind if you purchase the iphone w/ anything other than an Am Ex, you may be limiting your purchase protection guarantee, as Chase's isn't as easy and consumer friendly as Am Ex's.
What kind of purchase protection are ou considering? Breakage? Personally I'm hard on my phones and buy AppleCare+.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA,SPG,Carlson,Hertz
Buy bean with ink, then feed bean to amex pp. Then use amex pp to buy iphone if amex pp offers same protection as regular amex card. You need to verify this if you want to go on that route.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:48 pm

i actually just learned about extended warranty with credit cards recently (i know i'm slow ) and after reading up about it have decided to buy my iphone5 with an amex rather than my chase freedom, even knowing i could earn 5% back in october with the freedom at best buy where my phone has been reserved. my iphone4 is somewhat dysfunctional after having been dropped and i've been suffering with it for the last many months. of course i'm still too cheap to buy apple's warranty but from what others have reported amex seems to have a great extended warranty program so hopefully i wont have to suffer again if i have a problem with my iphone5 after the warranty ends (and before i'm eligible for another upgrade )!
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I bought our iPhones (iPhone 4s in 2010) and I'm not sure if the AMEX Purchase Protection was for 90 days or for a year. Still was glad to have that safety net.

I'd look into possibly doing it with beans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.