Buying Apple and getting points [includes hardware and iTunes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Apple and getting points [includes hardware and iTunes]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2012, 9:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt, SPG, CC, US, BA
Another option is to buy amazon gift cards at office depot for 5x and then buy an apple computer from them and can possibly earn Hawaiian miles at 0.5x. But Hawaiian is bad about miles so I wouldn't count on it. I'd rather buy gift cards from office depot and pay the 4.95 fee for each one to get extra points. If you're worried about purchase protection, buy gift cards at 5x then buy VR and load on Bluebird. It's my understanding that they offer the same purchase protection on bluebird that they do on their regular credit cards.

Another thing to consider is that you may not have to pay sales tax if you purchase from somewhere like amazon. On a $3500 computer this is worth more than the miles easily.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 2:27 pm

Iphone5 with T-Mobile

I am planning to buy two unlocked iphone5 from apple.com for T-Mobile carrier . Anyone has alternate suggestions for an online store other than apple.com to avoid taxes on phones and still obtain some miles.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 9:36 pm

Nope, it's best to buy it from apple as no other merchant sells unlocked phones out the door. I looked around and winded eating the tax and buying it from apple
Old Feb 9, 2013, 9:16 pm

Getting most points from Ipad Purchase?

Looking to get ipad 4 16 gb wifi. Have ink plus, amex plat, csp. How can I optimize number of points I get? Didn't see any at OM, OD, Staples. 1 point extra at Apple.com or Bestbuy.com via UR.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by webazoid
Looking to get ipad 4 16 gb wifi. Have ink plus, amex plat, csp. How can I optimize number of points I get? Didn't see any at OM, OD, Staples. 1 point extra at Apple.com or Bestbuy.com via UR.
Not points, but you can get 6% cash back at Best Buy using TopCashBack. I know some have had issues with TCB, but I've used it for Best Buy many times and always gotten the cash back. You can also double dip and get Best Buy Reward Zone points worth two cents a piece. So, ends up being 8% cash/points back - which I value more than 1 UR point. I'll PM you a TCB referral link to use if you are not already signed up.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by webazoid
I picked one up in December. Best I found for miles was Target. Took a few extra days to ship but I think it was 3x points in UR mall.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Also see if you can buy gift cards at a discount for the purchase. Hre is one comparison site. http://www.giftcardgranny.com/

You can also (quadruple dip?) get cash back when buying qgift cards through one of these sites.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by freakflyer
Also see if you can buy gift cards at a discount for the purchase. Hre is one comparison site. http://www.giftcardgranny.com/

You can also (quadruple dip?) get cash back when buying qgift cards through one of these sites.
But u would lose extended warranty from cc
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:09 am

Getting most points from Ipad Purchase?

Target red card 5% off is nice too.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 5:20 pm

Amex extended warranty if the cc is cancelled

I bought a macbook recently (via an online reseller, didn't get many points/miles but saved almost 10% sales tax), I put the full amount on Amex plat for the best extended warranty, but I'm not sure I will keep the plat card as long as I keep the macbook due to plat's high annual fee. Do I need to keep the cc in order to use Amex extended warranty?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 5:40 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by tonyflyer
I bought a macbook recently (via an online reseller, didn't get many points/miles but saved almost 10% sales tax), I put the full amount on Amex plat for the best extended warranty, but I'm not sure I will keep the plat card as long as I keep the macbook due to plat's high annual fee. Do I need to keep the cc in order to use Amex extended warranty?
yes you need to keep the card (you can find the info in the welcome package)

and plz keep the card, just pay $450

you get $200 credit / SPG gold / Priority select / $25 small biz Sat / ......

just keep it...
Old Feb 10, 2013, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by teddy25
I bought couple of iPads, and I used discover and got 10% back.

Shop Discover to apple store 5%
online shopping 4th Q of 2012 5%
Yep, I think either UR mall or Discover 5% will do.
Plus, use Amex card to pay in full, get +1 year warranty.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 5:59 pm

I guess I'll keep the card at least a bit longer, I agree the benefits are pretty good.

Originally Posted by nxw152
yes you need to keep the card (you can find the info in the welcome package)

and plz keep the card, just pay $450

you get $200 credit / SPG gold / Priority select / $25 small biz Sat / ......

just keep it...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:19 pm

Staples to start selling Apple

Staples appears set to start selling Apple products. This will bump Apple UR points to 5X on Ink vs the usual 2X through the shopping portal.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...executive-says
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:26 pm

Yeah 7x might not be worth it vs purchase protection from the Amex plat card...around 20x might be, but for 7x vs extended warranty?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.