Are Bloggers Ruining Flyertalk??? - Take 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2012, 8:50 pm

Programs: Curr Noob, Ex Road Warrior
Blogging is profitable if you can attract readers and if you have followed boarding area you would see the explosion of new bloggers. Only a few have original content and most others recycle the same info. I do think Rick @ FTG has good intentions and wants to help others. Infact I do think other bloggers like FrequentMiler etc fall in to the same category. However each of them also have a business to run. As FTG pointed earlier each of them benefit from these deals as well and they dont want to share all the info to card companies either. From time to time things might slip through and its only natural. I don't think there are any sinister intentions on their part.

As Jeanie mentioned earlier in big companies often one hand (should i say finger) doesn't know what the other hand does and often they work towards opposite goals. The sole aim of a marketing guy is to gain new accounts. Whether those accounts are profitable or not is not his main concern. So don't worry about things getting revealed too much. FT community is a small portion of their overall target audience and deals will keep coming to attract new accounts. The last couple of years have been dreadful for bank profits, so budgets for marketing depts do get cut and so does the beanies for us. But its a cycle and eventually they will go up again before going down. Just be patient.

Whats good for FT community is most likely not good for Card companies. Don't anticipate a card with everything you ask for .
Old Jun 29, 2012, 8:52 pm

Are all blog readers FTers? Are they all 'gamers'? I think not. It could be that a significant proportion of blog readers use the referral links but don't game the system significantly.
Card issuers either know blog readers are a risk, or they know blog readers, by and large, turn into the type of customers they want. Or it could be that card issues just don't care what blog readers do. They may trust their own systems to weed out gamers.
Either way, the bloggers don't deserve venom. Not much is changing here. If you were gaming, you will keep gaming.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
To think I would be stupid enough to bring up churning of cards that don't profit the card companies. Many of you seem to forget, I Play this Game Too. Why in the world would I want to highlight "churning" Makes no sense.

And as far as an earlier comment that I'm in Citi's pocket, that as nuts. I call them as I see them. Sapphire Preferred and SPG are best. Ba card is really a 50K offer for most of us. The only Citi card I promote is the forward card for restaurant spend and I have had the two browser trick in my private emails to readers since it started. I flatly told Citi if they want me to promote their cards they needed to improve their offers by bumping the sign up bonuses.

Our visits are not always pleasant for the card companies.

As hard as it seems for some of you to believe there was not a blogger there not trying to get better offers for all of us. We want better offers same as you do. Dan H put it perfectly as always. You Win, Bank Wins and Bloggers Win. They have an acquisition budget for new card holders. Do some of you actually think we would tell them to lower an offer as they are being too generous? They spend the money on promos based on what we think will move the needle. And as far as I know, we always want more, not less. And if they are low, we tell them
All true but not to my point. As if they don't know about churning?

Would it have been that risky to ask "I've had readers report that you are (shutting down accounts) (demanding copies of tax returns). Could you outline what customer actions trigger these extreme reactions? I think most of my readers want to play within the rules and to help them do that, I want to let them know what the rules are."

Maybe we'd know if it is mostly too many apps or which of the other plays ruffle their feathers. Don't be greedy, we've heard. How do they define greedy?

Missed opportunity, lessons learned. Onward ever.

Last edited by Mountain Trader; Jun 29, 2012 at 10:52 pm
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
I question the idea that the credit cards companies (CCCs) don't make money on us churners.

The CCC's need customers with very good credit to balance out their risk portfolio.

I don't know their ratios, but for each 700+ credit score lets say they can have 3 high-risk customers. These high risk customers are where they make their money, with 20% interest rates and the like.

That is the real reason for all the bonuses.

Take Chase, do they really care if you're churning? If they did, they'd stop it. They just want you to keep your low-risk $20k of credit in their system so they can farm out the credit to other more profitable (high risk) customers.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 4:33 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by saacman5033
The previous thread was closed for going too far down the road of blogger bashing and had nothing "Buzz Worthy" to continue. This thread may need closure as well if it goes the same way, but I think there might be some interest in the insight provided by Dan and Rick in their responses so we'll see where this goes.

I'm not sure how the conversation developed and I find it hard to believe there was anything sinister involved, but I'd be interested to know more. Rick, can you comment any further on the discussion that took place re: expired links?
they know the links are out there and have indicated they are trying to clean them up. when they ask why I don't push their cards more its pretty obvious as I don't have the best offer and I refer you, more discreetly than others, to the better rouge link. I'm not a computer geek but it seems their practice has been to take down the offer page and for some reason not take down the application page at the same time? from a business standpoint it makes no sense to me, but heck, that is Citi.

Btw: this is not a new discussion with citi. it has been going on for three years now and I expect it may take three more before they figure it out. as somebody else pointed out up thread, in large corps one department has no idea what the other is doing.

Last edited by ingy; Jun 30, 2012 at 4:38 am
Old Jun 30, 2012, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by JCary
Do you know who owns FTG?!
Since I can't figure out if you're serious or not, I'll answer your question. FTG is owned by Internet Brands. And just in case some readers don't know, Internet Brands owns Flyertalk.

I for one enjoy reading the analysis that each blogger brings to the table. They all have a different take on things. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to reduce my credit score by a point or 2.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 5:05 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
All true but not to my point. As if they don't know about churning?

Would it have been that risky to ask "I've had readers report that you are (shutting down accounts) (demanding copies of tax returns). Could you outline what customer actions trigger these extreme reactions? I think most of my readers want to play within the rules and to help them do that, I want to let them know what the rules are."

Maybe we'd know if it is mostly too many apps or which of the other plays ruffle their feathers. Don't be greedy, we've heard. How do they define greedy?

Missed opportunity, lessons learned. Onward ever.
+1

With being granted a chance to speak directly with the CC companies - if bloggers would bring to the discussion these sorts of things...that would be very beneficial to the community. It doesn't sound like the recent interactions provided anything more than obvious information to or from the banks.

Maybe the banks won't answer directly, maybe their marketing hacks who interface with the bloggers don't care...but at least let them know that these stories are more widely known nowadays and can dissuade people from becoming longterm customers that they supposedly want more.

Last edited by 84fiero; Jun 30, 2012 at 5:06 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 30, 2012, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I would have liked to see the bloggers that met with the banks solicit questions from their readers, for the bankers, a few days BEFORE the event.

Discussing expired links to CC offers was a big no-no IMHO. Many of us have profited from them.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: Amex MR, UR, AA, UA
Originally Posted by philemer
I would have liked to see the bloggers that met with the banks solicit questions from their readers, for the bankers, a few days BEFORE the event.

Discussing expired links to CC offers was a big no-no IMHO. Many of us have profited from them.
You could argue they already know some of the questions from the comments on their blog posts or reading FT, but do agree it would be worth it to solicit questions directly
Old Jun 30, 2012, 9:49 am

Philemer: I like that idea. I posted my attendance before this trip and had no reader questions sent to me, but will gladly ask next time before I go.

And I just got approved for a Citi two browser trick myyself. Called status line when I got home from NYC

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Since I can't figure out if you're serious or not, I'll answer your question. FTG is owned by Internet Brands. And just in case some readers don't know, Internet Brands owns Flyertalk.

I for one enjoy reading the analysis that each blogger brings to the table. They all have a different take on things. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to reduce my credit score by a point or 2.
And just so you all know, Internet Brands has so far given me 100% control of content without interference.

Last edited by mia; Jun 30, 2012 at 10:24 am
Old Jun 30, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold
question for FTG

At your meeting with Citi, did you mention to them that one reason people may not be applying for their AA cards and are dropping them is the lack of premium cabin award seats on AA metal for international destinations? When my Citi cards come up for annual fees, I plan to cancel them for this reason. I am applying for, getting, and using Chase products because of Ultimate Rewards/UA affiliations and more award seats. I am a very heavy spender on credit cards and used to put all spending exclusively on AA Citi cards, but not anymore. My Citi card usage has been highly profitable to them. Now it will be profitable to Chase.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan
At your meeting with Citi, did you mention to them that one reason people may not be applying for their AA cards and are dropping them is the lack of premium cabin award seats on AA metal for international destinations? When my Citi cards come up for annual fees, I plan to cancel them for this reason. I am applying for, getting, and using Chase products because of Ultimate Rewards/UA affiliations and more award seats. I am a very heavy spender on credit cards and used to put all spending exclusively on AA Citi cards, but not anymore. My Citi card usage has been highly profitable to them. Now it will be profitable to Chase.
I did not as they really have very little contact with one another. Several weeks ago Citi Card reps were telling people if they closed their credit cards they would lose all their AA miles. We had to go to the head of AAdvantage to get that straightened out and then it happened to a reader again 10 days later. When I talk to them again I'll mention it but really think that is not a Citi issue. Should get up I a retention bonus or two though
Old Jun 30, 2012, 5:42 pm

Completely agree. If you are trying to represent us. . .represent us. If you're going to hose us, you might at least not want to mention you are doing so.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Bttc
Completely agree. If you are trying to represent us. . .represent us. If you're going to hose us, you might at least not want to mention you are doing so.
I have never thought that I represent you, and if I hose you, I hose myself. That makes no sense.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Bttc
Not taking sides here but bloggers are not ombudsmen.

A blogger, while this term is somewhat ill-defined, isn't quite a journalist yet many bloggers write as well as some of the best journalists and perform quasi journalist-like functions. And while you wouldn't expect a journalist to represent readers in a PR meeting like this, bloggers and journalists can voice reader concerns.

Despite the fact that I have access to many of the same corporate and PR resources that the bloggers being discussed here have, I don't really spend that much time covering cards and miles and points in what I do (I've zoomed in on a few things that I've tried personally such as Amex Platinum benefits and the JP Morgan Palladium card but it's not really my beat) - so I do read some of their blogs from time to time and I find them valuable and generally well written. I also learn a lot from members here on FT for that matter.

No one can be all things to all people and expecting anyone to fulfill this expectation is going to be disappointed in certain respects.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.