Are Bloggers Ruining Flyertalk??? - Take 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are Bloggers Ruining Flyertalk??? - Take 2

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
FWIW I offered to let my readers pose suggestions before I went and then posted this as I left Chase HQ: http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.ph...8433#msg248433

Nothing nefarious was going on, we gave them feedback on what benefits we'd like to see in the future and they appreciated the feedback. They consider bloggers to be the conduit between the bank and the target market and appreciate the analysis that bloggers give that they could never attain in a 30 second commercial spot.
Thanks for the link.........Did you get a chance to address the Citi TY points future ability to transfer to airlines? Anything you can share?
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
By getting rid of zombie referrals they both win.
Bingo! When we apply through "dead" links, the bloggers don't get a referral, which takes money out of their pocket, and makes their referral links much less valuable. Of course Rick brought it up to them, he wants his share. The more dead links out there, the less he makes. Pretty simple.

Anyone who thinks the mainstream bloggers are in this game for anyone but themselves is being foolish.

I personally find several of the mainstream blogs quite valuable, and read them daily, but I also understand their motivation...cash, points, and perks...for themselves. I find nothing wrong with that. If I was well spoken/written and motivated, I'd consider as a pretty exciting way to make a living.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by jethro
Thanks for the link.........Did you get a chance to address the Citi TY points future ability to transfer to airlines? Anything you can share?
I'm pretty much in the Citi doghouse since that bizarre episode, you'd have better luck posing the question to Rick to find out what really happened (reps saying transfers to BA/SQ were live/not knowing which way is up).
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
I'm pretty much in the Citi doghouse since that bizarre episode, you'd have better luck posing the question to Rick to find out what really happened (reps saying transfers to BA/SQ were live/not knowing which way is up).

^ thanks
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: BAEC, A*A, SW RR
Originally Posted by jonnydoe1234
Citi: "We want to find ways that our relationship can be mutually beneficial. We want to maximize the revenue we get from credit cards and the money you get from affiliate links."

Bloggers: "We agree. One way to do that would be to get rid of some of the expired application pages. They have better offers for our readers, thereby costing you more money, but they don't give us any commissions."

Citi: "We'll get on it."
bingo. sad.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:25 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
We signup for various cards. Some just for the signup bonuses, others we keep for the ongoing benefits.

Some keepers are the following:

Chase Priority Club
Chase Marriott
Chase Hyatt

Non keepers: United. Chase Sapphire Preferred have 1:1 transfer w/UA & with the travel 2X bonus, the reason is obvious.

The above cards are for the annual free hotel night. Since the above cards charges annual fees after the 1st year, the Marriott & Hyatt are slightly better than a wash. The Priority Club is a better keeper due to not limiting category like the Marriott & Hyatt. and top PLT status keeping the card.

The real keepers & where we spend the money ($!) are the Starwood AMEX & Sapphire Preferred. If the other cards were as good as those, we would put some permanent spend on those.

As for the question of bloggers, I believe the banks are getting info about what works & what doesn't. I believe they already know but I believe they wanted some confirmation of what they already know. I could be wrong, however.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by jjmiller69
Yes the CC companies want to make a as much as they can and so do the bloggers. By getting rid of zombie referrals they both win. Lets be honest the CC companies are partners with the bloggers. They may offer new deals but it's for a mutual gain.
Banks win.
Blogger win.
We win.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: Several dozen
The banks want us as long term customers? Really? Flyertalkers?

To quote Bugs Bunny:

"Eh, he don't know me very well, do he?"

I suspect old Cardinal Fang would roll up the carpet, lock the doors and hide the women and children if he knew this group of financial barbarians were at his gate.

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
...The heart of the question is what do the credit card companies really want out of Rick and others? Is it more people to sign up and use their cards which generate more money to Rick? Yes, but only to a degree. They want a long term relationship with the customer, and the bloggers, particularly Rick and Miler, are experts on how to "milk" max value out of a card for minimum spending. What am I getting at? THAT isn't what the company is looking for. I am sure the companies struggle with paying the bloggers, even though they bring in lots of folks, I am sure many of them, like me, aren't very profitable.

So, the companies are bringing them in to pick their brain to figure out how to get that long term relationship. They want those merchant fees, and when I don't do many 1X transactions, it is killing them. If I was working for the bank, I can't think of better folks to ask for advice to achieve that goal and I hope they paid the bloggers for their time in providing it. I think the Sapphire Preferred is a good example of a bank "getting it" as I do plan on keeping that card and do more profitable charges for Chase on that card than many others. They were also clever keeping a big sign on to get me on board. If this is what comes out of meetings with bloggers, I am all for them.

I am pretty new, so I am sure it WAS more fun around here when less folks were doing this, but many of us never even knew about the world without Rick and others. I will always support private business owner trying to make a living and it what makes America great.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by freeloader
Overall, i was suprised that any blogger would go talk to the credit card companies. Seriously, there is no gain for the "readers" when this happens.
Credit card companies are no different than any other company and they all have PR and social media outreach programs.

Hotels, airlines, car manufacturers, they all reach out to these groups.

As a journalist, I get invited to a lot of car launches but I'm fairly picky about which ones I ultimately attend to ensure they are relevant to readers of Frequent Business Traveler and The Diesel Driver magazines. We also get invited to a variety of other meetings, briefings, and fam trips.

On the social media side, this past week, Ford invited almost 400 bloggers and a handful of journalists to become more familiar with Ford's future plans covering vehicle technology, the environment, and social issues. Ford had Bill Ford and Alan Mulally present at various times both speaking and mingling.

Therefore, I'm not surprised that credit card companies do host bloggers. I also don't see anything terribly wrong in such outreach.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 3:30 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jspira

Therefore, I'm not surprised that credit card companies do host bloggers. I also don't see anything terribly wrong in such outreach.
I get this, I think it makes perfect sense for the credit card companies. My point was that most of these bloggers blog about how great it is to "churn" cards... hit the bonus, and move on to the next ones (something that is obviously a money loser for the CC companies); some of the more reputable ones will find and report the zombie links, even when they don't get referral credit. All of this costs the CC companies money; one biggest gains (the 100k cards, the 50k + $50 one purchase United card) are their biggest losses.

The idea that bloggers' summit to discuss these issues WITH the credit card companies is somehow beneficial to the reader is questionable. that was my point. There is no benefit in any of this for the readers. Other the the CCs, the benefit is to the bloggers - to get a scoop of what to promote, to network and promote their affiliations, etc. any other spin is silly
Old Jun 29, 2012, 3:38 pm

The idea that bloggers' summit to discuss these issues WITH the credit card companies is somehow beneficial to the reader is questionable. that was my point. There is no benefit in any of this for the readers. Other the the CCs, the benefit is to the bloggers - to get a scoop of what to promote, to network and promote their affiliations, etc. any other spin is silly
I get your point, but I DO think we all stand to gain if the banks come up with a card program we all like and I do think that is more likely, not less, by meeting with the bloggers. I guess I have a half full attitude.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 3:39 pm

I loved the blogs shortly after getting into FT. But recently I do think they have come to rehashing what's on here. I don't mind someone (cc companies) trying to make a profit, and someone else (bloggers) selling them a service to make a living for themselves. What bugs me is the bloggers repackaging FT and getting paid to do it. I don't see the value-add in that, except maybe for the very new (like I was a year ago) or very lazy.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
The banks want us as long term customers? Really? Flyertalkers?

To quote Bugs Bunny:

"Eh, he don't know me very well, do he?"

I suspect old Cardinal Fang would roll up the carpet, lock the doors and hide the women and children if he knew this group of financial barbarians were at his gate.
Well, if they can keep us doing 1X and 2X, I'd say yes. However, it is at their own peril.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I get this, I think it makes perfect sense for the credit card companies. My point was that most of these bloggers blog about how great it is to "churn" cards... hit the bonus, and move on to the next ones (something that is obviously a money loser for the CC companies); some of the more reputable ones will find and report the zombie links, even when they don't get referral credit. All of this costs the CC companies money; one biggest gains (the 100k cards, the 50k + $50 one purchase United card) are their biggest losses.

I can tell you from years of personal experience that one of the ultimate goals of these kinds of PR programs is to try to control the journalists and bloggers.

A lot of the (less experienced) bloggers at the Ford event were clearly wide-eyed and blown away by Ford paying for (coach) air tickets, putting them up in a Hyatt Regency (which is in sad shape IMO and probably won't be a Hyatt much longer), and wining and dining them. I suspect Ford will have little trouble getting the Ford message out, exactly as intended.

As for me, I did get to learn a lot about Ford products and technology, drive on their proving grounds and track, and watch some idiot blogger forget to put his seatbelt on on the off-road course and get thrown across the back of the truck and bang his head pretty hard against the side window (he was wearing a helmut, there were about 50 signs all over the place saying to buckle up - and that's no exageration - plus the safety talk at the beginning of the day emphasized this as well). But I digress.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jspira
As for me, I did get to learn a lot about Ford products and technology, drive on their proving grounds and track, and watch some idiot blogger forget to put his seatbelt on on the off-road course and get thrown across the back of the truck and bang his head pretty hard against the side window (he was wearing a helmut, there were about 50 signs all over the place saying to buckle up - and that's no exageration - plus the safety talk at the beginning of the day emphasized this as well). But I digress.
that sounds awesome - i think i picked the wrong career!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.