Search

Airline Status Match Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2024, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Airline Status Match Via Dual Citizenship

I am eligible for a U.K. passport through my dear, departed Mum, but never applied because since 1975 I have been an on-and-off employee of the U.S. government, which looks askance at dual citizenship by its employees. However, now that I am a Federal Employee Retirement System (FERS) annuitant, the only thing holding me back is finding a U.K. citizen to attest to my good moral character. I do not know any British Subjects here in the CNMI, and "family members" are excluded, which presumably precludes my Australian second cousins.

If anyone is familiar with some of my FlyerTalk posts over the past two decades, and is willing to attest to my character, please send me a Direct Message (DM), so we can discuss further by e-mail.
Check the tax rules before applying for a British passport. I don't think the UK has the same taxation system in the US. The US tax system is pretty insane that US citizens/long term green card holders are subject to US taxation even though they don't live in the US.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA 1P, HH Silver
I've been racking my brains and I just can't find the ideal solution. Basically I'm on Star Alliance Gold with United based in US, but just recently moved to Australia. I'm trying to see if there's a good way to get status match, or easily gain status with airlines that fly from/to Australia. Obviously I can't book flights through United unless it's going to US, and my future destinations will mainly Australia and South East Asia. The flights I'm currently thinking of flying with - Singapore Airlines, Garuda, Qantas, ANA.

Would anyone be able to help me retain my Gold status? I'm not ready to lose it after having the status for the past 15 years or so. Help my flyertalk you're my only hope.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kampret (Post # 2177)
I'm on Star Alliance Gold with United based in US, but just recently moved to Australia. I'm trying to see if there's a good way to get status match, or easily gain status with airlines that fly from/to Australia. . . . The flights I'm currently thinking of flying with - Singapore Airlines, Garuda, Qantas, ANA.
Singapore Airlines (SQ) and All Nippon Airways / ANA (NH) are both members of Star Alliance (*A), so you will not be able to status match directly from United Airlines (UA) to SQ or NH.

Garuda Indonesia (GA) is in SkyTeam (ST); Qantas (QF) is in oneworld (OW).

In Post # 1968, supra, from 4½ years ago, the list of 8 airlines which GA will match does not include UA.

A logical choice would seem to be QF. In Post # 422, supra, from 10½ years ago, it states that QF did not do status matches. I would check the Qantas FlyerTalk forum to see if there have been any changes since then and whether QF currently has status match offers. (Searching this thread for "Qantas" indicates a lot of folk trying to match out of QF.)

​​​​​​​Sorry.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Mar 3, 2024 at 11:13 pm
Old Mar 4, 2024, 6:50 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by jms_uk
As is the fact that UK passport doesn't prove residency (driving license does have address on it).
I have a still valid UK drivers license, think it expires in 2047. And I have not lived in the UK since 2006 lol
Old Mar 4, 2024, 12:55 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I have a still valid UK drivers license, think it expires in 2047. And I have not lived in the UK since 2006 lol
That would be your driving entitlement? The card licenses are only valid for 10 years and need to be renewed.

2047 date is on the back, you'd find a different one on the front (card expiry date).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 10:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K
Originally Posted by kampret
I've been racking my brains and I just can't find the ideal solution. Basically I'm on Star Alliance Gold with United based in US, but just recently moved to Australia. I'm trying to see if there's a good way to get status match, or easily gain status with airlines that fly from/to Australia. Obviously I can't book flights through United unless it's going to US, and my future destinations will mainly Australia and South East Asia. The flights I'm currently thinking of flying with - Singapore Airlines, Garuda, Qantas, ANA.

Would anyone be able to help me retain my Gold status? I'm not ready to lose it after having the status for the past 15 years or so. Help my flyertalk you're my only hope.
Get the HSBC Star Alliance card which get you Gold on one of Air NZ, EVA, Singapore Airlines, or THAI with 4k spend in the first year. After that, you should have enough flying activities to maintain status, or just spend 60k a year instead .
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 10:38 am

Hey,
QR gold for a new more weeks, is there any no obligation status match worth trying?
Thanks.

Last edited by sdm1985; Mar 7, 2024 at 11:48 am
Old Mar 7, 2024, 11:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sdm1985
QA gold
Do you mean Qatar Airways? Their code is QR, not QA.
sdm1985 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 10:53 pm

Programs: TK Elite, KQ Platinum
I have TK Elite, Aerolineas Argentinas diamond (SkyTeam) and Asante Platinum. What's my best shot for a oneworld status match?
Old Mar 11, 2024, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Coifman
I have TK Elite, Aerolineas Argentinas diamond (SkyTeam) and Asante Platinum. What's my best shot for a oneworld status match?
I need a OW status match as well (from *A or SkyTeam) and have yet to find any realistic options (at least for those of us with a USA address).
Old Mar 11, 2024, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by nacho
Check the tax rules before applying for a British passport. I don't think the UK has the same taxation system in the US. The US tax system is pretty insane that US citizens/long term green card holders are subject to US taxation even though they don't live in the US.
There is a foreign-tax credit available to U.S. citizens whose income is also subject to taxation abroad:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...ign-tax-credit

("If you paid or accrued foreign taxes to a foreign country or U.S. possession and are subject to U.S. tax on the same income, you may be able to take either a credit or an itemized deduction for those taxes.")
debonair58 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 1:37 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Richey66
Finnair Gold matched both to Turkish Elite and Asante Gold.
(Asante) "We regret to inform you that this offer was halted and therefore we can not be in a position to do the status match".
Old Mar 11, 2024, 2:42 pm

Programs: hahaha
Originally Posted by kampret

Do you happen to be Bonvoy Gold Elite by any chance? (or have access to it via a credit card that grants the status). there's an SQ Silver fast track for Bonvoy Gold, and Bonvoy Platinum/Titanium/Ambassador qualify for the SQ Gold fast track

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I need a OW status match as well (from *A or SkyTeam) and have yet to find any realistic options (at least for those of us with a USA address).
I see you're UA 1MM, how about the Alaska status match? It bestowed oneworld benefits on me a few times
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
BA is currently offering a status match for elites in USA and Canada programs. No cost! (well except for flights if you want to retain status past the initial period)

https://www.britishairways.com/conte...Ff2rjggdXzsBIw

https://viewfromthewing.com/hot-how-...estic-flights/

Originally Posted by asovse1
I see you're UA 1MM, how about the Alaska status match? It bestowed oneworld benefits on me a few times
Unfortunately have already done that twice (even though once per lifetime LOL) so I am not eligible.
asovse1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.