Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are bloggers ruining Flyertalk????

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2012, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
once again belfordrocks is dissing avios
Its quality/potential lucrativeness is grossly disproportional to the amount of airtime it gets...
Old May 14, 2012, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by HansGolden
You know, when a newcomer jumps in with criticism and knowing all the answers ...
Nonsense. They made very good points.

It's ok to disagree with them, but not to disrespect somebody like that. Regardless of how many posts they have.

-David
Old May 14, 2012, 9:22 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Get off the kool-aid please.
+1. I might not have many posts and have a fairly recent join date, but i'm completely with gregorygrady.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:43 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by jonnydoe1234
I also don't really understand the obsession that some bloggers have with hotel rooms. My view is that if you're doing much more than sleeping and showering in your hotel room, you're missing the point of the vacation. I expect a certain level of cleanliness, but that's about it.
I totally agree.

Also, I wish people (not you!) would learn how to use the quote feature and not try to edit quotes then mess it up. Happened several times the past few pages. Makes it REALLY hard to read!
Old May 15, 2012, 3:53 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Its quality/potential lucrativeness is grossly disproportional to the amount of airtime it gets...
that i may give you, but it has some value (as i have detailed) and thus i'd say the amount you bang on it is disproportional to it's flaws

i agree it is over-blogged, but there is real cash value to be had out of it for some people, myself included
Old May 15, 2012, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonnydoe1234
My view is that if you're doing much more than sleeping and showering in your hotel room, you're missing the point of the vacation. I expect a certain level of cleanliness, but that's about it.
If all you expect from a hotel room is cleanliness, I suspect you've never examined the sheets with a blacklight.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
If all you expect from a hotel room is cleanliness, I suspect you've never examined the sheets with a blacklight.
No, but I've stayed at a number of places where the sheets and towels were getting so heavily bleached at every wash that they still stunk of bleach when I used them. Clean is expected, but I consider that overkill.
Old May 15, 2012, 1:43 pm

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/05/tues...+Points+Guy%29

show me a single post on FlyerTalk or any forum for that matter that can provide me the same information as that linked above?

it is my job to obviously dig deeper if I want more information, and FLyerTalk is the place to go for that, but for a quick summation of the above topic, how can anyone say Bloggers ruin FlyerTalk?
Old May 15, 2012, 2:12 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DrSifu
show me a single post on FlyerTalk or any forum for that matter that can provide me the same information as that linked above?
No one would or should expect that particular blog post to be repeated here on FT. Or do you think FT should be ruining the blogs?

More seriously, an article such as the one you link to is of little use if it contains numerous errors. Unfortunately, even after corrections the author made to some IC redemption rates following a reader comment, there's still quite a lot wrong. Two examples: nonsense about Hilton Point Stretchers and the ludicrous claim that PC PointBreaks availability is based on a "rotating list" -- the implication being that if you wait long enough you'll be able to stay at top Intercontinentals in Paris or Polynesia for $30 a night. In both cases, FTers know better.
Old May 15, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by F105ThudDriver
My very 1ST post in any forum since 1999, other than the obligatory and ubiquitous facebook page and this is the ideal thread to take that step as I believe I can provide a different perspective to this debate.

Until 2 weeks ago, I had never heard of FlyerTalk or any blog dedicated to travel. Point in fact, if I stumbled onto any Blog by following a link from some story and I was greeted with animated versions of credit cards, saying " Me.., Pick Me...", I would simply close the tab and never return.

Wow, My intro to this post was written just a few days ago but due to other commitments I was unable to complete my thoughts and post. Since then, the tone of this thread has morphed to the point the title has nothing to do with the trend of the conversation. THIS IS WHAT’S WRONG WITH FLYERTALK
It has nothing to do with bloggers.. it has all to do with FTers. The sad part is that this attitude is only ubiquitous in "FD" (and yes, I know what FD is and how to work it) and “How can I abuse the system to get my CC spends up” threads. How petty as, FT is so much more. Has everyone forgotten what Randy’s original vision was? Does anybody know who Randy is?

What a shame and this thread held such promise at the beginning. So, yes, add my voice to those to say "close it". Never came close to 5 pages, did it?
Flyertalk is a difficult forum for a newbie. Some people would call it labyrinthine, and that wouldn't be far from truth. So I'm really glad that in mere 2 weeks you've figured out all there is to know about flyertalkers from reading a few threads. Although, since you know how to work FDs and (even more importantly) who Randy is, I guess this forum has been an easy nut for you to crack. Congratulations! Now you could move on and share your expertise with other newbies who, unfortunately, lack your colossal learning abilities.
Old May 15, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by IMH
No one would or should expect that particular blog post to be repeated here on FT. Or do you think FT should be ruining the blogs?

More seriously, an article such as the one you link to is of little use if it contains numerous errors. Unfortunately, even after corrections the author made to some IC redemption rates following a reader comment, there's still quite a lot wrong. Two examples: nonsense about Hilton Point Stretchers and the ludicrous claim that PC PointBreaks availability is based on a "rotating list" -- the implication being that if you wait long enough you'll be able to stay at top Intercontinentals in Paris or Polynesia for $30 a night. In both cases, FTers know better.
I get your point, but I'm going to have to agree with DrSifu here. Posts like the only TPG has today won't be found on FT, and it's a fantastic reference point. Maybe all info isn't 100% correct, but it's useful as a reference point.
Old May 15, 2012, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Sure, I don't want nasty sheets. But how do you know in advance (or even once you get to the hotel, if you don't take a blacklight) how clean the sheets are? Maybe the $500/night hotel has cleaner sheets than the $100/night hotel, but maybe not. And if the $500/night hotel has nasty sheets, then it won't matter much if you get the coveted upgrade to a suite, which seems to be the focus of many bloggers.

Also, if you're concerned about the cleanliness of the sheets, then you must be very worried about all of the couches and chairs if you do get upgraded to a suite. I doubt those are getting cleaned on a daily basis.
Old May 15, 2012, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by DrSifu
http://thepointsguy.com/2012/05/tues...+Points+Guy%29

it is my job to obviously dig deeper if I want more information, and FLyerTalk is the place to go for that, but for a quick summation of the above topic, how can anyone say Bloggers ruin FlyerTalk?

considering the Hilton axon is my favorite hotel redemption, I would say he skipped over some good options. 4 nights cat 7 for 145,000 points is great deal for times square or French Polynesia which I have redeemed both. Requires any amex I believe not Hilton amex as tpg seems to believe in comments.
Old May 15, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by nathanielm
considering the Hilton axon is my favorite hotel redemption, I would say he skipped over some good options. 4 nights cat 7 for 145,000 points is great deal for times square or French Polynesia which I have redeemed both. Requires any amex I believe not Hilton amex as tpg seems to believe in comments.
No, it does require a Hilton amex. +1 for TPG.
And while it is a very good hotel redemption, since Axon requires a Hilton Amex that does limit it's appeal somewhat. We'll call that one a draw.
Old May 15, 2012, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by nic3456
All this talk about secret/underground forums has really peaked my interest I would very much like to join one of those and share/learn about smaller scale deals/ideas.
Just spent way too much time reading the 1st 200 posts of this thread and I'm with you, sign me up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.