Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[Not implemented] Citi ThankYou Points To Be Transferable To BA, AA & Singapore Air

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Not implemented] Citi ThankYou Points To Be Transferable To BA, AA & Singapore Air

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by japaik
it really shouldn't be that big of a hit - it's not like there have been TYP deals where it was 100k points with a card sign up. i don't know if anyone remembers the first amex plat ty cards that came out in 2007/2008 with 5 points / dollar earned over 2 years...that was a good card.
I remember that AMEX card as I still have TYPs from it not expired yet. The expiration date of those TYPs is 5 years from earned.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 12:49 am

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by thetravelabstract
Interesting development.

Maybe that is why the BA, SQ rollout has not happened yet?

I guess we will have to wait and see.
Won't be any BA roll-out. What's the DD blogger smoking?

BA is a Chase affiliate and could never get in bed with Citi. Chase would cut that relationship in the bud. Bad enough AmEx has any ties.

OTOH American is a Citi affiliate and Citi owns zillions of AA miles. Surprised it's not already a transfer partner. AA miles are much cheaper for Citi than other airlines' tickets.

I think Citi's frenzy was that the BA info leaked was wrong-- it's AA.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 12:52 am
Suspended

is this about transfering CITI THANK YOU points to AADVANTAGE MILES? 1 to 1 value?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:41 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TorontoSingh
When Chase Saphire Preferred UR points became transferable to United MPs, it didn't really devalue United miles. Hopefully, the same works for Thank You points to AA miles.
True, but as UR became partners with CO + UA, MR lost the CO partnership.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by amolkold
True, but as UR became partners with CO + UA, MR lost the CO partnership.
will the citi thank you points be transferable to aadvantage miles or to British Airways Avios and to Singapore Airlines' KrisFlyer program?

I don't think it says transferable to AA miles.

if it does, i have 171k advantage miles and if i get the citi thank you premier card, i can get additional aa miles.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by jonny1
will the citi thank you points be transferable to aadvantage miles or to British Airways Avios and to Singapore Airlines' KrisFlyer program?

I don't think it says transferable to AA miles.

if it does, i have 171k advantage miles and if i get the citi thank you premier card, i can get additional aa miles.
If you read both threads, you'll see that nothing has been confirmed by Citi and that everything is rumors based on certain members' telephone calls with Citi representatives.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 3:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by amolkold
If you read both threads, you'll see that nothing has been confirmed by Citi and that everything is rumors based on certain members' telephone calls with Citi representatives.
i know it is not yet but the rumor is thank you points transferable to AADVANTAGE MILES or the british airways? the rumor i hear here says AA miles too but on other sites it says British airways and no mention of aa miles
Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by jonny1
i know it is not yet but the rumor is thank you points transferable to AADVANTAGE MILES or the british airways? the rumor i hear here says AA miles too but on other sites it says British airways and no mention of aa miles
Obviously there are two different rumors! No one will know for sure which is correct until Citi releases the information.

I would agree AA is much more likely because AA is a Citi partner, and Citi already has AA cobranded credit cards.

Note that the Sapphire Preferred card transfers point primarily to partners Chase already does business with: United, BA, Hyatt, Marriott, Priority Club. It would make sense for Citi to start with AA since that is their partner.

Due to exclusivity contracts, it is highly unusual for BA to be a transfer partner for both MR and UR. Amex has Delta, BofA has Alaska and Hawaiian, Chase has United and BA, Citi has AA.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:19 am
HCA

Hope it's true. Almost used my most TYN points for airline tickets.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 2:01 pm

I'll say one thing ... this news has made me start using my old TYP card on 5x categories a lot more, especially restaurants. I'll take 5 potential Avios over 2.14 UA miles with Sapphire.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
One thing it is for sure, TYPs are commingle in one's account versus UR has only one single lump regardless where the points coming from.
Perhaps I'm missing your point, H, but in my experience UR points end up in per-card accounts, not in a single per-user account. And since UR points do not expire, there's no issue about having different expiry dates for points earned via different source accounts. (Is that what you're getting at?)

Of course, UR points can also be moved freely -- and without penalty -- between accounts, whether common to one user or between users.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
Perhaps I'm missing your point, H, but in my experience UR points end up in per-card accounts, not in a single per-user account. And since UR points do not expire, there's no issue about having different expiry dates for points earned via different source accounts. (Is that what you're getting at?)

Of course, UR points can also be moved freely -- and without penalty -- between accounts, whether common to one user or between users.
What you pointed out is one of the major differences between UR account and TYP account.

Once you move the UR points to the account you chose (in most cases it would be Sapphire Preferred for its transferability), there is just a lump sum and no distinction of where the points coming from. In fact, Chase labels the transferred in points of your own as a very misleading "Courtesy Adjustment" despite those are your own points, no courtesy from Chase of any kind...

In other words, UR points lost their original identities once they are being transferred - whether from your other cards or other person's card.

They dont expire as long as you keep the card that associates with the UR account - this is very similar to TYP's program.

TYPs carry their identities in your TYP account. Therefore those earned pre March 2011 still show their respective expiration dates. Those earned post March 2011 become no expiration. I assume now when redeem, Citi would clear out those with expiration dates first until they are depleted before it would take it from the non-expiring pile.

You can transfer TYP from another person's account to your account, but the transferred in points need to be used up in 90 days, else they would be forfeited - a mark difference from UR which has an advantage in this regard.

If the transferability of TYP becomes reality, and if AA is a partner, then even with the above limitation, TYP would be much more valuable than UR points in my opinion. The flight point can be a powerful tool to make every dollar spent eventually earn you 2 TYPs once flight point is matched. It would be a simpler method than the category spend bonus on Sapphire Preferred. There are also some TYP cards earn 5x for restaurant and entertainment. Furthermore, for those of us who have no need to shop, the UR Mall feature is almost useless. Though I admit I did check Home Depot site for some small stuff we needed but at the end I went to local store and spent less than $20 for the stuff - yeah, I "lost" 80 UR points by not using the UR Mall... It is just simply not worth the trouble for such tiny amount. So for us, TYPs would be a preferred "currency" should it become transferable to airlines. This would be a powerful tool for Citi to attract a lot of usage goes back to TYP cards. I sure hope this would become true instead of April Fool cruelty. lol.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 6, 2012 at 6:41 pm
Old Apr 10, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Happy
What you pointed out is one of the major differences between UR account and TYP account.

... TYP would be much more valuable than UR points in my opinion. The flight point can be a powerful tool to make every dollar spent eventually earn you 2 TYPs once flight point is matched. It would be a simpler method than the category spend bonus on Sapphire Preferred. There are also some TYP cards earn 5x for restaurant and entertainment.
How is the fact that TYP is easier to earn makes them "much more valuable" ?
May be you meant "more popular" ?

BTW: Chase Freedom has 5x points categories as well.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by yuryc
I have both Chase Freedom & a Citi Forward. Chase's 5x categories are rotating, i.e. right now at grocery/movies while Citi's 5x are always the same categories throughout the year. 5x at all restaurants all year is huge. Sure, Chase Freedom 5x at restaurant beats Citi (for me, since 5x UA or BA beats a possible 5x BA or SQ), but it's only $1500 during 1 quarter.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yuryc
How is the fact that TYP is easier to earn makes them "much more valuable" ?
May be you meant "more popular" ?

The earning rate is fixed with a very high annual cap, i.e. 200K a year.

On the Premier / Prestige cards, the spend earns 1 TYP. The flight point would turn into 1 TYP when it is matched by 1 TYP earned from spending (Citi calls it Purchase Point). So it basically is a 2 points earning card without any need to rotate for categories.

Also Citi now has the same Quarterly bonus categories but do not need you register - it is automatically, and do not overlap with those categories Chase use. I have never seen Chase offers Health Care and Beauty - but that was the Q1 2 pts earning category on Citi's Premier card. Prescription glasses, medical check up, and Spa treatments fall into that category. It has no cap versus Chase $1500 for the whole quarter. So you at best could max out 7500 UR pts on Freedom in the whole quarter. Peanuts when it compares to the cap of 200K on Citi's Premier / Prestige card for the full year.

If TYP can be transferred to AA miles, it is much more valuable in my book than BA or even UA that UR points transferred to. BA charges very high fees on award redemption, and is very costly in miles to use for long haul flight.

If TYP is only transferrable to BA and SQ, then SQ might be more interesting than BA if one is willing to spend the time and efforts to understand SQ's program and find the advantage points. But that probably would prove to be too much for the bulk of readers of this forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.