Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[Not implemented] Citi ThankYou Points To Be Transferable To BA, AA & Singapore Air

[Not implemented] Citi ThankYou Points To Be Transferable To BA, AA & Singapore Air

Old Apr 1, 12, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LongviewTX View Post
Do you have any other examples of this? The whole issue with 1099 was regarding the points EARNED through checking account promos, I have never heard of Citi (or anyone else) issuing 1099 for any points REDEMPTIONS whether these were redemptions within the programs or transfers to 3rd party program.
Read the poster's story in the 1099 thread in this very forum. You can learn a lot of the details, esp what had transpired from the most recent happening to daveland's account.

TYPs from banking products are deemed taxable, but the reporting period is the year they are redeemed (within the program naturally as it cannot be transferred to 3rd party.)

AA miles from banking products are deemed taxable, but the reporting period is the year they are received (earned).

Why such discrepancy in the reporting period, nobody knows other than obviously it is allowed to be determined by the reporting entity as Citi has been doing such reporting from 2008.
Old Apr 1, 12, 9:03 pm

So help me decide. I was about to redeem 50k thank you points for $500 in Carnival Cruise Certificates. That is what I have mainly done in the past for redeeming TYP. But now I'm wondering if I should think about this conversion to BA.

We do go cruising a lot, so the certificates have been a great thing for us. We currently have 350k with delta, 220K with Southwest, 180K Ultimate Rewards, 140K Hawaiian Airlines, 90K UA, and 60K Virgin Atlantic. Since we will be getting two companion passes for our children, I believe that we are going to be focusing on using our Southwest Airlines miles for the next couple of years. From what I've read, I guess there are huge fuel surcharges for international flights with programs like BA and VA, so where is the best use of BA miles?
Old Apr 1, 12, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by haslipe View Post
I guess there are huge fuel surcharges for international flights with programs like BA and VA, so where is the best use of BA miles?
Premium classes to Europe, short haul flights domestically, and flights to South America. A domestic example would be LAX-HNL RT is only 25k avios in coach, compared to 17.5k each way on an AA saver award.
Old Apr 1, 12, 10:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Why such discrepancy in the reporting period, nobody knows other than obviously it is allowed to be determined by the reporting entity as Citi has been doing such reporting from 2008.
The taxable event occurs on Citi's books when they must pay for the prize.

For American it occurs at the time the bonus is transferred to American. Those points are purchased from American (not necessarily at that juncture but at that time their value is particularly yours).

For ThankYou the taxable event occurs when the redemption is made and the vendor paid for gift cards, travel, etc.
Old Apr 2, 12, 10:21 am

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Nothing on ThankYou.com yet!

Just checked the ThankYou website and nothing has changed on there and there is no indication anywhere that suggests that this new benefit is going to be added.

Has anybody else gotten any more info since April rolled in?
Old Apr 2, 12, 12:32 pm

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt plat,...
Did anyone stop and think that this might be another bad april fools joke???
Old Apr 2, 12, 1:23 pm

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Originally Posted by FOX85 View Post
Did anyone stop and think that this might be another bad april fools joke???
I did think about it. But if someone really wanted to make a joke out of this, s/he would have suggested AA to be a transfer partner and not BA and SQ. Citi has a really strong tie-up with AA and logically speaking, one would expect AA to be the first transfer partner for Citi TYP.
Old Apr 2, 12, 1:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Argg, nothing happened to me either
So mad at Citi thank you point now
Old Apr 2, 12, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by jeelele View Post
I did think about it. But if someone really wanted to make a joke out of this, s/he would have suggested AA to be a transfer partner and not BA and SQ. Citi has a really strong tie-up with AA and logically speaking, one would expect AA to be the first transfer partner for Citi TYP.
Just called Thank You Points Service Center and was told that the conversion program to BA and SQ 1:1 was earlier confirmed to be effective on April 1st. But now there is a delay but it will still be in April with the exact date to be announced. I hope that the delay is due to the last minute attempt to woo AA to agree to be a part of this program as well, without which they can`t really compete against Amex MR Premier Rewards Gold (with Delta as the anchor conversion) or the Chase Sapphire (with UA as the anchor conversion).

In a nutshell, they need a unique selling point to win back the lost business from Amex and Chase and BA and SQ alone will not cut it with hefty fuel surcharges, fees and taxes on award tickets not to mention that they are already available as conversion options through Amex and Chase. AA convertability will offer them that uniqueness.

Last edited by TorontoSingh; Apr 2, 12 at 3:20 pm
Old Apr 2, 12, 4:05 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by TorontoSingh View Post
Just called Thank You Points Service Center and was told that the conversion program to BA and SQ 1:1 was earlier confirmed to be effective on April 1st. But now there is a delay but it will still be in April with the exact date to be announced. I hope that the delay is due to the last minute attempt to woo AA to agree to be a part of this program as well, without which they can`t really compete against Amex MR Premier Rewards Gold (with Delta as the anchor conversion) or the Chase Sapphire (with UA as the anchor conversion).

In a nutshell, they need a unique selling point to win back the lost business from Amex and Chase and BA and SQ alone will not cut it with hefty fuel surcharges, fees and taxes on award tickets not to mention that they are already available as conversion options through Amex and Chase. AA convertability will offer them that uniqueness.
It would seem really weird to me if they would have just three airline transfer partners and two of them were oneworld. It would also seem kind of weird if they went to the trouble to beef up the AA card and then immediately eliminated any reason to use it.

That said, I'm torn as to how I'd feel about adding AA. I'd like earning the miles, but it seems like a devaluation would be inevitable in that case. Then again, who knows? I think the vast majority of people don't currently make use of MR and UR transfer partners, so perhaps it wouldn't be a big deal.
Old Apr 2, 12, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
It would seem really weird to me if they would have just three airline transfer partners and two of them were oneworld. It would also seem kind of weird if they went to the trouble to beef up the AA card and then immediately eliminated any reason to use it.

That said, I'm torn as to how I'd feel about adding AA. I'd like earning the miles, but it seems like a devaluation would be inevitable in that case. Then again, who knows? I think the vast majority of people don't currently make use of MR and UR transfer partners, so perhaps it wouldn't be a big deal.
I sure hope they would add more transfer partners down the line but it would take time. But Citi is in a strong negotiating position with AA and has a clout over them for a quick turn around time for a buy-in as they practically bought mega tons of AA miles and literally finance them. As Citi has just beefed up their AA card benefits similar to what United did with their explorer card, I hope this is a sign that there is more likelihood for them to be part of Thank You points conversion options. United hasn`t really been devalued with the Sapphire`s transfer option and I think AA should be ok with the Thank You conversion option especially now that they have increased benefits to the original AA card.

Last edited by TorontoSingh; Apr 2, 12 at 10:16 pm
Old Apr 2, 12, 4:29 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by duc1986d View Post
So mad at Citi thank you point now
You are mad at Citi because a rumor is not confirmed ?
Old Apr 2, 12, 7:51 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, United Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by mia View Post
You are mad at Citi because a rumor is not confirmed ?
^ This is (one reason why) companies don't like info disseminated here before they publicly disclose.
Old Apr 3, 12, 8:24 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
dansdeals.com is now reporting that this is official. Apparently it only works with certain TYP cards, eg Premier. Supposedly more airlines will be coming online in the very near future.

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/20748

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.ph...8269#msg208269

Edit: Ur, maybe.... Some in the DDF are reporting that they cannot see the transfer. I don't have any TY card, so I can't test personally.

Last edited by taliesin; Apr 3, 12 at 8:27 pm Reason: Addendum: Not so fast!
Old Apr 3, 12, 8:31 pm

Programs: HHonor Dia, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
dansdeals.com is now reporting that this is official. Apparently it only works with certain TYP cards, eg Premier. Supposedly more airlines will be coming online in the very near future.

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/20748

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.ph...8269#msg208269

Edit: Ur, maybe.... Some in the DDF are reporting that they cannot see the transfer. I don't have any TY card, so I can't test personally.
I have premiere, and i don't see the option.
Supposedly it's under here: Rewards > Thank You Points Exchange > Exchange
I don't see "TYP Exchange" option

Search this Thread