FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Not implemented] Citi ThankYou Points To Be Transferable To BA, AA & Singapore Air
Old Apr 6, 2012, 6:23 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
Perhaps I'm missing your point, H, but in my experience UR points end up in per-card accounts, not in a single per-user account. And since UR points do not expire, there's no issue about having different expiry dates for points earned via different source accounts. (Is that what you're getting at?)

Of course, UR points can also be moved freely -- and without penalty -- between accounts, whether common to one user or between users.
What you pointed out is one of the major differences between UR account and TYP account.

Once you move the UR points to the account you chose (in most cases it would be Sapphire Preferred for its transferability), there is just a lump sum and no distinction of where the points coming from. In fact, Chase labels the transferred in points of your own as a very misleading "Courtesy Adjustment" despite those are your own points, no courtesy from Chase of any kind...

In other words, UR points lost their original identities once they are being transferred - whether from your other cards or other person's card.

They dont expire as long as you keep the card that associates with the UR account - this is very similar to TYP's program.

TYPs carry their identities in your TYP account. Therefore those earned pre March 2011 still show their respective expiration dates. Those earned post March 2011 become no expiration. I assume now when redeem, Citi would clear out those with expiration dates first until they are depleted before it would take it from the non-expiring pile.

You can transfer TYP from another person's account to your account, but the transferred in points need to be used up in 90 days, else they would be forfeited - a mark difference from UR which has an advantage in this regard.

If the transferability of TYP becomes reality, and if AA is a partner, then even with the above limitation, TYP would be much more valuable than UR points in my opinion. The flight point can be a powerful tool to make every dollar spent eventually earn you 2 TYPs once flight point is matched. It would be a simpler method than the category spend bonus on Sapphire Preferred. There are also some TYP cards earn 5x for restaurant and entertainment. Furthermore, for those of us who have no need to shop, the UR Mall feature is almost useless. Though I admit I did check Home Depot site for some small stuff we needed but at the end I went to local store and spent less than $20 for the stuff - yeah, I "lost" 80 UR points by not using the UR Mall... It is just simply not worth the trouble for such tiny amount. So for us, TYPs would be a preferred "currency" should it become transferable to airlines. This would be a powerful tool for Citi to attract a lot of usage goes back to TYP cards. I sure hope this would become true instead of April Fool cruelty. lol.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 6, 2012 at 6:41 pm