Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[Not implemented] Citi ThankYou Points To Be Transferable To BA, AA & Singapore Air

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Not implemented] Citi ThankYou Points To Be Transferable To BA, AA & Singapore Air

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: AA lifetime platinum, Jet Blue Mosaic
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The May issue of Inside Flyer states on page 40 that Citibank ThankYou points can be transferred to BA and SQ accounts.

"Citibank hasn't officially released an announcement on the new transfer option, but members report being able to log into their account and transfer points into miles with British Airways and Singapore Airlines."

Has anyone done so?
Sounds like a rumor that is feeding on itself to prove the truth of the rumor
Old May 31, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Still waiting for this to happen, but a Paris-Nice flight for 10k TY points each r/t which would cost me $140 ai is not a bad deal for TY points at 1.4 cents each. May have to go ahead and start spending some of these. I don't plan on holding on to these points when it comes time for annual fee on Citi TY card and I cancel (which i'd lose the points).
Old May 31, 2012, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by glocklt4
Still waiting for this to happen, but a Paris-Nice flight for 10k TY points each r/t which would cost me $140 ai is not a bad deal for TY points at 1.4 cents each. May have to go ahead and start spending some of these. I don't plan on holding on to these points when it comes time for annual fee on Citi TY card and I cancel (which i'd lose the points).
I thought you get 1.33 cpm. How did you manage 1.4?

If you open a no fee TYP card or just downgrade to one, wont you be able to keep the points?
Old May 31, 2012, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan

If you open a no fee TYP card or just downgrade to one, wont you be able to keep the points?
Ah, you are right. It was technically 21400 points for $284.88 flight, so 1.33cents/point.

Either way, i'm not sure how long I want to hold off for the transfer option to come around. It is now 2 months after when Dan said it was supposed to be allowed. We have points to use them of course, and sitting on 700k AA and 200k BA, both of those transfer options aren't something we HAVE to have extra for. Cash is something we keep running short on due to a bathroom renovation, so points may need to be used now .

And good point about the other TY points card. I wasn't aware that there was a free one. Thanks!

Last edited by glocklt4; May 31, 2012 at 12:34 pm
Old May 31, 2012, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt it - as the points are clearly associated with each sponsored card. You can see the details when you click the total of the points.

In the past Citi gives 30 days for you to clear out the points associated with the canceled sponsor cards.
Old May 31, 2012, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
I doubt it - as the points are clearly associated with each sponsored card. You can see the details when you click the total of the points.

In the past Citi gives 30 days for you to clear out the points associated with the canceled sponsor cards.
Sorry to ask again, but is this so when you downgrade the card as well?
Old May 31, 2012, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry to ask again, but is this so when you downgrade the card as well?
Yes. In fact the language is in the small print and it covers the conversion of card scenario also. There is no way to preserve your TYPs should you cancel your sponsor card unlike the AMEX membershp reward which does not identify points earned from various AMEX cards (internally they do, but not you can see online.) TYP specifically identifies each pts earned from what card, and in the past, the expiration dates as well. In my situation I have 160K+ TYPs associated with my existing Premier card that will expire March 2013 and there is no way I can extend it despite it is 2/3 of my total TYP pool.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 7:04 am

Citibank is so incompetent that they managed to give this rumor traction by confirming it on the phone, yet NOTHING at all is happening.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Just got off the phone with a Citi CSR. She had been on vacation for a month and just got back today. I asked about the possibility of transferring points to airline miles and she said she thought it was possible, put me on hold to do some research and came back: yes, transfers to BA and Singapore. She took my KrisFlyer # and entered all the data but it came back with an error message. She checked with a supervisor who said that the transfer option was going to be offered but that Citi had decided not to go ahead with it. I asked her to to check with the supervisor to clarify: was this not yet available, or was this never going to be available. Unfortunately, she came back with "never". Not good news, but maybe not the last word.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by j3brooklyn
Just got off the phone with a Citi CSR. She had been on vacation for a month and just got back today. I asked about the possibility of transferring points to airline miles and she said she thought it was possible, put me on hold to do some research and came back: yes, transfers to BA and Singapore. She took my KrisFlyer # and entered all the data but it came back with an error message. She checked with a supervisor who said that the transfer option was going to be offered but that Citi had decided not to go ahead with it. I asked her to to check with the supervisor to clarify: was this not yet available, or was this never going to be available. Unfortunately, she came back with "never". Not good news, but maybe not the last word.
No bueno...
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Darn.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by j3brooklyn
Dude if a Citi Rep got a 1-month vacation I'm seriously in the wrong line of work. Also, Never is a strong word--which I doubt applies here. No one knows the future that well.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stubtify
Dude if a Citi Rep got a 1-month vacation I'm seriously in the wrong line of work. Also, Never is a strong word--which I doubt applies here. No one knows the future that well.
I think they were not happy about the leak. So now they want people to stop expecting it and then surprise us.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Too bad the Citi rep can't transfer TYP to AA to make good use of that 1-month vacation
Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
I think, dude, that you're probably in the wrong line of gender as well. I suspect she was on maternity leave.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.