[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:17 pm

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
Well some people may have spending requirement to meet now for previous promotions, and there are always chances of new promotions with spending requirement coming in the future.

So if you think you will be able to stick to AA card until you spend 10K, go ahead and pull 50/50 deal. The return is definitely hard to beat.
Originally Posted by buschoi
Nothing! That's why I am not quite sure why most of us are going after the 75K, meet the spend 1.5k requirement, churn another card (which probably is after the promotion has ended and only got 35K), but risk getting denied.

I would rather get the 50+50, get one less pull from my credit report, build up a slightly better "relation" with Citi because I don't turn in an app every 2 months, get more miles, and not to worry about the next app until later. Since Citi is so concerned about the previous cardmembers and potentially limiting our future opportunity, I would just maximize each offer I could get.

I do agree the risk of not getting the miles for not being targetted... But isn't it the same risk as for the 75k offer? Am I missing something?
Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:25 pm

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
seriously my worry on the 50/50 deal is it would take me at least 9 months to hit the 10k and then if my 50k miles dont show up and citi says we have no idea what u are talking about when i call i have no proof of the offer and id be kickin myself that i didnt just take the 75k in full offer for the 1500, which I can hit in a month.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:57 pm

Programs: Depends on the card offers :)
There's also the multiple card factor. Say you are confident that you can hit $10k, but only $10k, in a year. Would you rather get 100k miles from the 50/50 offer or 3 rounds of 75k miles from the other offer (and only have to spend $6500 to do it).
Old Aug 5, 2010, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold
Approved! Current and former card holders.

Just to add our experience:

Signed myself up for the 100k / $10k card. I'm a current Citi MC (since 01) & Citi Amex Biz (since 06) card holder. Initially got the "received your application and further processing is required at this time message". I called the 866-606-2787 number listed, spoke to a very nice rep and got approved in minutes! Confirmed the offer details on the phone - good to go!!

Signed my wife up for the 75k offer. She had a Citi MC back in 06, but canceled after the bonus posted. She got instant approval online.

Not bad - 175k miles on the way - sweet!
Old Aug 5, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA Explorer card, AA Plat, Copa Plat, IHG Plat,
Got no email today because previous cardholder

Here is the email I got today. I applied last week

Thank you for applying for a Business Card account. We
are unable to approve your application at this time because
of the following:

o This specific offer is valid only for first-time
CitiBusiness/AAdvantage1 cardmembers. Our records indicate
that you previously had a CitiBusiness/AAdvantage1
account with us.

We appreciate your interest and hope to have the opportunity
to serve you in the future.

Credit Department

Last edited by rrohio; Aug 5, 2010 at 5:17 pm Reason: spelling
Old Aug 5, 2010, 5:25 pm

Rrohio, when did you apply last week? I applied last week but still have yet received a decision. I called twice this week but they're still processing, so I'm not going to call and just wait. It's a long wait but i've been keeping on top of these posts. I hope to have a decision from Citi soon, and I hope it's good news considering that they've been spamming me with emails to apply over the last few months.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by JordyC
There's also the multiple card factor. Say you are confident that you can hit $10k, but only $10k, in a year. Would you rather get 100k miles from the 50/50 offer or 3 rounds of 75k miles from the other offer (and only have to spend $6500 to do it).
I think you mean $4,500.

I went for two 75K because I simply don't spend 20K a year, let alone 10K. $3,000 is easier though.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Awwucks
Just to add our experience:

Signed myself up for the 100k / $10k card. I'm a current Citi MC (since 01) & Citi Amex Biz (since 06) card holder. Initially got the "received your application and further processing is required at this time message". I called the 866-606-2787 number listed, spoke to a very nice rep and got approved in minutes! Confirmed the offer details on the phone - good to go!!

Signed my wife up for the 75k offer. She had a Citi MC back in 06, but canceled after the bonus posted. She got instant approval online.
Another proof that the "look back" period Citi uses to screen previous customers are for the cards opened in past 12 to 24 months.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 6:22 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
my follow up to my oh oh post!

8/3/10:I applied (for my wife) and when I clicked to submit the application it took an unusually long amount of time and finally gave me this:

-----
A system error has caused a delay in processing your application. Be assured that we have received it and there is no need to resubmit. We will contact you at the mailing address you provided as soon as it is processed. Thank you!
------

This was the 75k Visa Business...which I think my wife did not have before. She cancelled the personal Visa and AMEX in February 2010....Yes I know, I am not too hopeful, I just could not resist.

8/5/10: Called the automated number for Business Cards 800.288.4653 and was told she was approved and expect the card in 7 to 10 business days! I think we are in, anyone care to comment?

Now off to plan my own attack...it is much more complicated...before I follow up with a follow up attack on her behalf
Old Aug 5, 2010, 6:42 pm

Applied for 75K Business Visa on 8/1. Stopped at screen 3. Called twice, only get the response that it is "still processing". CSR's claim no further info is required. I had already applied for the personal MC under the 35K offer (bad timing).

Applied for 75K personal Visa for hubby, who has never had a Citi card account. Instant approval, but no emails for days and I was getting somewhat concerned. Then the card just showed up in the mail today, on the same day as the seperate mailing with pin number info. Activated and on our way to the 75K.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Another proof that the "look back" period Citi uses to screen previous customers are for the cards opened in past 12 to 24 months.
Very similar to my initial guess on the "look back period"

Originally Posted by saacman5033
My best guess from personal experience and various reports on this site is that those who have not had a new Citi card in at least a year are likely to be approved. My wife and I churned these cards for a couple years until last being approved for personal cards in Dec. '09.
After a quick scan of this thread I'm now thinking we may be seeing the "look back" period as a year or less. In my case the "look back" period was only about 8 months. I'm not saying my case will hold true for everyone, the posters I've seen in this thread who have been denied for being previous cardholders have all had their latest citi card this year (2010).
Old Aug 5, 2010, 8:02 pm

Wirelessly posted (palm: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile 6.0) Sprint Treo850e)

Originally Posted by Happy
Very similar to my initial guess on the "look back period"

My best guess from personal experience and various reports on this site is that those who have not had a new Citi card in at least a year are likely to be approved. My wife and I churned these cards for a couple years until last being approved for personal cards in Dec. '09.
After a quick scan of this thread I'm now thinking we may be seeing the "look back" period as a year or less. In my case the "look back" period was only about 8 months. I'm not saying my case will hold true for everyone, the posters I've seen in this thread who have been denied for being previous cardholders have all had their latest citi card this year (2010).
what do you think.i have an active card that is 2.5 yrs old,and i havent applied since a year ago,should i cancel my card and wait a little and then apply or should i just applyany recommendations?thanks

Last edited by fest; Aug 5, 2010 at 8:03 pm
Old Aug 5, 2010, 8:18 pm

Many thanks to the FT community for vast discussion on this topic. I found the 50k/50k email in my spam folder but opted to use the 75k Visa link found in this thread. I guess this is one situation where it pays to procrastinate.... I intented to sign up for a 30k offer earlier in the year, but never got around to it!

I currently have other Citi cards which are not AAdvantage cards, just their plain personal cards. This was my first application for a Citi-AA card of any kind. I was instantly approved.

Now, I'm praying for a DEQM promotion this fall !
Old Aug 5, 2010, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by QL_714
Your post got me thinking.
Spend 1.5k receive a total of 76.5k miles. 75k offer.
Spend 10k receive a total of 110k miles. 50k / 50k offer.
So for spending 8.5k more you receive 33.5k miles more. That’s almost 4 to 1.
Where am I going wrong or am I?
You aren't.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 1:22 am

can citi bank reclaim AA miles when i cancel cc?

I just got approved for the 75K visa.
I doubt that I will get a chance to use the AA miles over the next year.
And I do not want to have to pay the yearly VISA fee when it comes up next year.
Is there anyway that CITI bank can pull back the AA miles - when I cancel?
How long do I have to retain the card to keep the AA miles?

Note :
Last year I lost my thankyou-network miles when I cancelled my citi bank visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.