[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2011, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by AChekhovGun
As I have no business and used my name and home address, can I simply fax in a personal checking bank statement and a utility bill? Will this fly? Should I just ignore it and let the app be denied?

Thank you for your help!
I had the same experience about a few weeks ago (sole prop, no revenue, business name same as my name). I faxed the personal versions of those documents along with a concise cover letter (to expedite the process)--approved 1 day later. Good luck.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
I just got approved today for the Business 75K/1500 offer! I applied last week (and was nervous about the sole prop issue), but everything worked out. I only have a $1000 limit though, which is fine, but I'll just have to purchase and pay and purchase and pay to meet the requirements.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 3:32 pm

Programs: US, AA, Delta, BA, Hilton, Marriot, HYATT
I want to apply for this.

Should i use the link or call? If i click on the link its no where mentioned in the web page about the 75K offer.

Any advice....
Old Apr 18, 2011, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by virtuo0
I want to apply for this.

Should i use the link or call? If i click on the link its no where mentioned in the web page about the 75K offer.

Any advice....
Use the links, if you get approved, call and talk to CSR and make sure they have the right PROMO.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 5:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyPesos, SWA RR, OnePass, Anyone else who lets me fly free!
Originally Posted by robertwa
Just applied for a personal and business Visa with the 75K/$1500 links in post #2. I got the "Your application needs further verification" message for the personal, called the provided number and got approved over the phone. CSR confirmed that I got the 75K/$1500 offer, that I would have a card in one week, and that bonus miles would post on the statement after I met the spend reqs. BTW, he was super friendly and helpful on the phone, no mention of expired offer or anything.

I asked the CSR if I could apply for the business card while I was there. He said he couldn't create new applications, so I immediately applied online again. I got a message that my application was in process and I would receive a response in the mail in 30 days. I called the same 800 number again, and was told that they couldn't help me, but I could call 888-201-4523 M-F 8-8 EST to get an update on my application.

Then I had my wife fill out the personal application. She got the same "Your application needs further verification" message and phone number I did, but when she called, she was told that they had done everything they could today, and that "another department" would have to finish the rest of the application. She was also given 888-201-4523 to check her status tomorrow. I think the difference with her is that she is an existing Citi cardholder, while I am just an Authorized User on her cards.

I held off on the business card for her until I know what is going on with mine. If mine doesn't work, I will have her do the AMEX 75K/$4000.

If you're wondering why I didn't do the 2 personal + 1 business for each of us, we need the miles for this August. Waiting 90 days plus statement wouldn't help for that trip.

So, 1 for 3 so far. I'll post an update on the other apps when I get one.

In the words of Mark Twain: Reports of the death of 75K/$1500 have been greatly exaggerated!
Here's my happy ending: Even though I screwed up the order of applications, I was able to get 1 bus and 1 personal card. I was initially declined for the bus card because I had a Citi card go to collections 11 years ago, but after 3 or 4 phone calls, a supervisor took pity on me and got it to go through.

My wife was declined for having too much debt for her income, but I think she used the wrong income amount. I will start working on her now.

Moral of the story, be persistent and polite. I think mine worked out because I called during business hours, asked for a supervisor and got someone in the US. It doesn't seem like the offshore call center has any power to fix anything on your application.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 6:18 pm

Deal still on!!!

I applied for the personal visa and Amex (75K/$1500 in 6 months,First year no fee) last Monday (11 Apr), received the cards today. Called CSR to confirm the offer and activate cards. The deal is still on.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:33 pm

Rejected?

I just opened up a Capital One account to jump on the 100k Miles deal, and decided to try for the AA Miles too. I was greedy and tried for both the Visa and Amex. Unfortunately I got rejection letters for both. Sigh.

Then oddly enough, maybe five days later, I got the AA Visa in the mail. There was no work on my part. I didn't call and beg or anything. They just denied me, then sent the card anyway. While activating I double checked with the CSR and confirmed the 75k deal was active.

This ever happen to anyone before?
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:49 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by mighty836
Use the links, if you get approved, call and talk to CSR and make sure they have the right PROMO.
Thanks. I pulled the trigger on both visa and amex, got approved on both. Will confirm with the CSR tomorrow.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 9:01 pm

BA 100,000 or AA 75,000

Hey everyone, brand new here so please bear with me and take pity on my horribly confused soul. I've attempted to do as much research as possible so that I don't sound completely dumb, so here goes:

Important to know: Not only have I never used frequent flyer miles before (even though I've traveled a fair amount) I have also never even had a credit card before. I'm 28 and I've always paid cash or through my debit account. But after reading all about the perks you can gain, I don't see myself ever turning back. Also, I currently live in Japan, and a credit card is a necessity here since it's almost impossible to access my American account easily and sending money home every month is getting to a be a major pain.

My questions:

1. Do I have a shot at getting the Visa and Am Ex cards if I have a credit score of around 680? I have a mortgage on a house and a car payment which I've always paid but have two things in collection (although I believe that both are an error and can probably get rid of them with a few phone calls).

2. I've noticed two seemingly good deals lately. The Citi 75k one that this board is about, and the Chase/British Airways 100k one. Which would you recommend? Obviously the BA one gives you more miles, but their fuel surcharges are ridiculous. My main goal is to get miles to travel between Tokyo and New York City, which American Airlines does.

3. If I travel AA with their AA miles, I don't pay the fuel surcharge, correct? But if I travel AA with BA miles, I'm stuck with the fuel surcharge? When I ran a dummy test on BA website, the fuel surcharge for a trip from Tokyo to NYC and back was $900. If I'm not paying that with AA, wouldn't AA make much more sense?

Please, any suggestions are great. And don't assume I know anything. I won't be offended, trust me! I'm just trying to find my way through this mess.

Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by GBillings
I just opened up a Capital One account to jump on the 100k Miles deal, and decided to try for the AA Miles too. I was greedy and tried for both the Visa and Amex. Unfortunately I got rejection letters for both. Sigh.

Then oddly enough, maybe five days later, I got the AA Visa in the mail. There was no work on my part. I didn't call and beg or anything. They just denied me, then sent the card anyway. While activating I double checked with the CSR and confirmed the 75k deal was active.

This ever happen to anyone before?
GBillings,

Which Capital One account are you speaking of?
Old Apr 19, 2011, 7:08 am

Programs: AA lifetime platinum, Jet Blue Mosaic
Originally Posted by civico
Hey everyone, brand new here so please bear with me and take pity on my horribly confused soul. I've attempted to do as much research as possible so that I don't sound completely dumb, so here goes:

Important to know: Not only have I never used frequent flyer miles before (even though I've traveled a fair amount) I have also never even had a credit card before. I'm 28 and I've always paid cash or through my debit account. But after reading all about the perks you can gain, I don't see myself ever turning back. Also, I currently live in Japan, and a credit card is a necessity here since it's almost impossible to access my American account easily and sending money home every month is getting to a be a major pain.

My questions:

1. Do I have a shot at getting the Visa and Am Ex cards if I have a credit score of around 680? I have a mortgage on a house and a car payment which I've always paid but have two things in collection (although I believe that both are an error and can probably get rid of them with a few phone calls).

2. I've noticed two seemingly good deals lately. The Citi 75k one that this board is about, and the Chase/British Airways 100k one. Which would you recommend? Obviously the BA one gives you more miles, but their fuel surcharges are ridiculous. My main goal is to get miles to travel between Tokyo and New York City, which American Airlines does.

3. If I travel AA with their AA miles, I don't pay the fuel surcharge, correct? But if I travel AA with BA miles, I'm stuck with the fuel surcharge? When I ran a dummy test on BA website, the fuel surcharge for a trip from Tokyo to NYC and back was $900. If I'm not paying that with AA, wouldn't AA make much more sense?

Please, any suggestions are great. And don't assume I know anything. I won't be offended, trust me! I'm just trying to find my way through this mess.

Thanks.
Yor are correct. The use of BA miles can result in substantial fuel surcharges, whereas the use of AA miles on the same routing will not. I suggest you do some research on the Britih Air and AA threads on FT. This subject has been covered extensively, with much confusion.

BA has several award charts, not all of which require fuel surcharges. Also, you may find the award avalability on AA with BA miles to be less than if you were using AA miles.

Personally, I would go with the Citi AA program.

Clear up your "collection issues" with those few phone calls before you apply for a credit card.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 8:33 am

Thumbs up

Offer is still active. Confirmed with CSR just now.

Spend requirements are

$1500 in 6 months for VISA
$4000 in 6 months for AMEX

Amex card has 0% purchase APR for an year.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: No preference

Spend requirements are

I haven't heard of anyone getting this. Congrats if it's true.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 8:54 am

What number did you call?

Spend requirements are

What number did you call for the CSR?
Old Apr 19, 2011, 9:05 am

888-201-4523

I called after i was approved online just to confirm the miles offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.