Wiki Posts
Search

50,000 on United for Visa deal

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:06 pm

Programs: Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, AA Lifetime Gold
United approval did not affect my BA bonus

Originally Posted by maggersmagoo
I applied for the BA visa in February, and I'm waiting for my second statement to close (on 4/15), after which I should get my second 50K.

Should I wait until this statement closes to apply for the UA visa? Or does it really have no bearing?

I just don't want to take any chances with my BA miles, but I also know this deal could dissapear any day.

Oh, and is there a minimum spend requirement for this one?
My post (#224 in this thread) might be encouraging to you. I also applied and got the BA in February. I was waiting for my 50k BA miles to post but decided to go ahead and apply for the UA anyway. They rejiggered my credit limits but today I got in the mail a letter confirming approval of the UA card. I also noticed today that my BA account now reflects the first 50k bonus miles, which were posted yesterday (I did not make my first purchase on my BA card for about a month after I was approved). So, apparently my application for the UA card and the rejiggering of that credit line did not affect my BA bonus.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:53 pm

no go for me

My wife and I both applied on phone and were told we would be notified.
we both got letters hers was denied because they didnt have the annual household income (i sat next to her and heard her tell the app taker that answer) anyway after calling and getting that corrected they approved her immediately....my letter said too many request for credit or too many accounts....this is annoying because I only have a chase freedom which is a couple of years old and a sapphire card I just got and have already charged 1/3 of the required 3k spend....they said they denied me because I just applied and got the sapphire card a week before. I was told there is no set rule to how long is long enough between applications. I told them I wish i knew that unadvertised fact because the sapphire card is 25k points for a 3k spend, while the UA card is 50k points for a $250 spend and given the choice i would have gotten the UA card......she then tells me they can shut down the sapphire card and give me the UA card....i told her I already had 1/3 the required spend and wasnt going to pay it off and dump the card...I asked If i dumped my chase freedom card if they would give me the UA card and she said yes.....but looking at my account I realize that after next months statement I will have enough to get 1 last $50 cash back check, so I'm stuck...you have to have $50 minimum to redeem a cashback reward and they dont post until your statement turns over, so even if I pay my full balance I can't get my cash back until next statement prints.....By which time i will be in Jamaica, and by the time I get back on May 11th the UA deal is dead......I asked how long it was good until and she said May 11th....i hope she is as knowledgeable as the rest of the dumbass reps I've talked to and this deal is still alive for me when i return.....bottom line if you want 2 chase cards either get them at the same time or be prepared to be denied until at least a month after the first one.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by wise2u
we both got letters hers was denied because they didnt have the annual household income (i sat next to her and heard her tell the app taker that answer) anyway after calling and getting that corrected they approved her immediately....my letter said too many request for credit or too many accounts....this is annoying because I only have a chase freedom which is a couple of years old and a sapphire card I just got and have already charged 1/3 of the required 3k spend....they said they denied me because I just applied and got the sapphire card a week before. I was told there is no set rule to how long is long enough between applications. I told them I wish i knew that unadvertised fact because the sapphire card is 25k points for a 3k spend, while the UA card is 50k points for a $250 spend and given the choice i would have gotten the UA card......she then tells me they can shut down the sapphire card and give me the UA card....i told her I already had 1/3 the required spend and wasnt going to pay it off and dump the card...I asked If i dumped my chase freedom card if they would give me the UA card and she said yes.....but looking at my account I realize that after next months statement I will have enough to get 1 last $50 cash back check, so I'm stuck...you have to have $50 minimum to redeem a cashback reward and they dont post until your statement turns over, so even if I pay my full balance I can't get my cash back until next statement prints.....By which time i will be in Jamaica, and by the time I get back on May 11th the UA deal is dead......I asked how long it was good until and she said May 11th....i hope she is as knowledgeable as the rest of the dumbass reps I've talked to and this deal is still alive for me when i return.....bottom line if you want 2 chase cards either get them at the same time or be prepared to be denied until at least a month after the first one.
wow...same problem we have: they claim we didnt tell them the household income and just like you, I was sitting next to my wife when she told those dumbass reps (we called twice)....and nothing yet.
What number did you call to resolve the issue??
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by wise2u
I struggles through this horribly written and punctuated post to come up with a final conclusion of . . . you've elected to take a certain $50 reward over a guaranteed 50k miles (two domestic coach tickets?) To each their own, I suppose.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:56 am

they approved my new card BUT reduced my other 2 CL of chase card that i rarely use and put it on the new card w/o even giving me a heads up
Old Apr 21, 2010, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Enjoralas
I struggles through this horribly written and punctuated post to come up with a final conclusion of . . . you've elected to take a certain $50 reward over a guaranteed 50k miles (two domestic coach tickets?) To each their own, I suppose.
haha..yeah i thought the same thing..and i love that the reps are the dumbasses
Old Apr 21, 2010, 6:18 pm

I got this same offer in the mail yesterday, even though I'd already signed up via the instructions here. I wonder whether they will give it to me twice? ;0)
Old Apr 21, 2010, 6:53 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG PLAT, UA, AA Gold
So I used to get 2 MP offers per week (PER WEEK!) When all of a sudden (about 2 years ago) I get an offer for 30,000 miles PLUS 2 nights at the Ritz Carlton. That got me involved for sure.

I have subsequently downgraded the card to a NO FEE CARD, but it only earns 1/2 of the miles. (You can do this you know)

As this current offer is starting to get long in the tooth, does anyone know if I can apply for a new MP card even though I have a current card?

I guess I should just call and ask.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 9:58 am

Programs: HHonor Diamond, AA Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I called in last night and the automatic message says that they stopped to take application over the phone. Anyone encountered this problem? Should I just keep hitting zero to get a person?
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
Originally Posted by travelmi
I called in last night and the automatic message says that they stopped to take application over the phone. Anyone encountered this problem? Should I just keep hitting zero to get a person?
or just keep saying agent until the machines gives up. Funny enough, after applying, i got an email and post cards in the mail telling me to sign up for the card with the 50k bonus.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:57 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG PLAT, UA, AA Gold
Our household signed up today. I got to the agent through the United mileage Plus Desk. Could not have been simpler. Yes, the entire process was 18 minutes, but 15 of those is spelling back of names and reading the disclosures. Ha!
Old Apr 22, 2010, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by Modesassion
Our household signed up today. I got to the agent through the United mileage Plus Desk. Could not have been simpler. Yes, the entire process was 18 minutes, but 15 of those is spelling back of names and reading the disclosures. Ha!
don't light up the cigars just yet Fidel....We did the same thing only to find out there is NO RECORD of any application--nor a confirmation email sent.

After complaining to Chase, they just gave us the runaround, while all my wife's personal info was given to 2 offshore CSR's (1st call, she hung up on us).
Old Apr 22, 2010, 6:42 pm

this one

Originally Posted by mrx900
wow...same problem we have: they claim we didnt tell them the household income and just like you, I was sitting next to my wife when she told those dumbass reps (we called twice)....and nothing yet.
What number did you call to resolve the issue??
they sent us a letter, with the reason, that contained a reference number and this phone number: 1-888-270-2127 "call within 30 days of date of letter mon-fri 8am-10pm ET"

sorry for my rambling, poorly punctuated post. that's just the way it spills from me. You may have a point about just jumping on the offer, but I hate to leave $50 of cash back rewards that I earned at 1-3%. I am trying to milk it out before i shut down the last of my cash back cards and return to airline reward cards. I will call back and see if they will do it any other way before I go on vacation. I will probably heed your wisdom and take 50k UA miles over $50 cash if I have to. I will keep my Discover card and get the 5% back on the current catagory, even though it is usually capped at a low $20-$40 level. It remains a good cash back card with a decent exchange rate on gift cards fo many places.

I wish I had returned sooner to this forum, I read it years ago when I was earning Skymiles. After skymiles, I did CO cards and starwoods, then I just went for cash back cards. If I had kept up with this forum, I would have got in on the 100k BA card, and known about the mint and churning angles a lot sooner. I now have a frequent flyer favorites folder with 6 or 7 websites and this forum is at the top.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 7:34 pm

Wife just applied for her card today 4/26/10 and was approved. Deal still valid.

Just a note. I got my card 2 weeks ago and saw that the first purchases have posted in terms of points, but not the 50k initial bonus yet.

Will stay tuned.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by malibulivin
Wife just applied for her card today 4/26/10 and was approved. Deal still valid.

Just a note. I got my card 2 weeks ago and saw that the first purchases have posted in terms of points, but not the 50k initial bonus yet.

Will stay tuned.
miles won't post until about 2 days after statement closes...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.