Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

TIP: More hidden features of ITA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
Here are some more hidden features of the ITA software.

The extensions to the itasoftware routing language are accessed by postpending commands after a '/'. There's a wide set of commands available, but there's no description of them available on the ITA web site. Unfortunately, each command applies only to one part of the trip, so they must usually be entered in each box.

EXCLUDE SPECIFIC AIRLINES
Command is "-airlines XX ..."
Ex: prohibit jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ -airlines B6 DL

LIMIT TO SPECIFIC AIRLINES
Command is "airlines XX ..."
Ex: consider only jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ airlines B6 DL

LIMIT TO A SINGLE ALLIANCE
Command is "alliance star-alliance|oneworld|skyteam"
Ex: oneworld carriers only
to: LAX ::/ alliance oneworld

EXCLUDE CODESHARES
Command is "-codeshare"
Ex: prohibit jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ -codeshare

LIMIT DURATION OF ITINERARY, IN MINUTES
Command is "maxdur XXX"
Ex: no more than 5hrs for each part of trip
to: LAX ::/ maxdur 300

EXCLUDE OVERNIGHT STOPS, AIRPORT CHANGES, REDEYES, PROPELLER PLANES, TRAINS, HELICOPTERS, ANY KIND OF SURFACE TRAVEL
Commands are "-overnight", "-change", "-redeye", "-prop", "-train", "-helicopter", "-surface"
Ex: no overnight stops, no airport changes, no redeyes, no propeller planes
to: LAX ::/ -overnight, -change, -redeye, -prop

SET MINIMUM OR MAXIMUM TIME FOR CONNECTIONS, IN MINUTES
Commands are "minconnect XX", "maxconnect XX"
Ex: no less than one hour, no more than two hour connections
to: LAX ::/ minconnect 60, maxconnect 120

EXTRA CONNECTION TIME
Command is "padconnect XX"
Ex: require at least 20 minutes more than airline specified minimum connection time
to: LAX ::/ padconnect 20

PUTTING LOTS OF THINGS TOGETHER
Separate with commas.
Ex:
to: LAX :: UA+ / f ua.bos+lax.yup, padconnect 20, -overnight
Print Wikipost

TIP: More hidden features of ITA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2012, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by camelari
What does the .. actually do? I thought you needed to specify BC=(faretype).

With you suggestion can you specify more than one Fare type i.e. /f ac..m- and add search for other classes example y,b
This post explains it all.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 3:39 am

Programs: M&M
What does the .. actually do? I thought you needed to specify BC=(faretype).

With you suggestion can you specify more than one Fare type i.e. /f ac..m- and add search for other classes example y,b
"/f bc=" restricts the reservation into a specific bucket but that might or might not correspond with the fare bucket being used (like YY fares booking into lower buckets all the time, shorthauls booking into different bucket than the longhaul, other participating airlines using different fare buckets, etc).

The full syntax for ".." is:

"/f [airline].[origin+destination].[fare basis]"

eg "/f UA.SFO+ORD.FUA2F" looks for UA SFO-ORD fares (only!) that are called "FUA2F". You can wildcard fares, eg "F-" means any fare that begins with "F" ("FUA2F", "FUA" and "F").
Old Dec 31, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: AC-ELITE 50K
Any way that ITA can help is find routes that are legal connections ?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mvtm
Does anyone know if it would be possible to specify aircraft. Or just search for 787 or a380 flights for example?
This is my question, too. The database obviously has the equipment type. So it would be great to be able to filter by equipment type.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by FrankTalk
"/f bc=" restricts the reservation into a specific bucket but that might or might not correspond with the fare bucket being used (like YY fares booking into lower buckets all the time, shorthauls booking into different bucket than the longhaul, other participating airlines using different fare buckets, etc).

The full syntax for ".." is:

"/f [airline].[origin+destination].[fare basis]"

eg "/f UA.SFO+ORD.FUA2F" looks for UA SFO-ORD fares (only!) that are called "FUA2F". You can wildcard fares, eg "F-" means any fare that begins with "F" ("FUA2F", "FUA" and "F").

Hey Frank,

If i am looking for YUL to TLV but flight connects in YYZ and we are looking for booking class B. Is it possible to search fare type B only in the YYZ to TLV leg or must be entire trip?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:47 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Can anyone suggest how to combine restrictions of different nature in one line (ie routing + fare => what is the concatenation sign)? Sorry if its here, cant find it.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:50 am

Hey Frank,

If i am looking for YUL to TLV but flight connects in YYZ and we are looking for booking class B. Is it possible to search fare type B only in the YYZ to TLV leg or must be entire trip?
If you restrict the fare it will show all eligible booking classes under this fare, but if you restrict the booking class then of course you will only get that class all the way (unless there is an advanced command you are looking for). This will not hold if you are looking for the combination of different fares.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Keter

Hey Frank,

If you restrict the fare it will show all eligible booking classes under this fare, but if you restrict the booking class then of course you will only get that class all the way (unless there is an advanced command you are looking for). This will not hold if you are looking for the combination of different fares.
How can you see all booking class for a given fare on ITA?
Thought you had to click each individual one
Old Jan 22, 2013, 2:37 am

How can you see all booking class for a given fare on ITA?
Thought you had to click each individual one
What i said is only relevant to fares which allow different booking classes for secondary travel component (on same or a different airline). The best example is probably long haul AF/ KL fares. For example, for R fares its only the long haul which is required to be booked to R class, while the short haul leg will be booked into L.

So if you restrict the fare by '/f af..r-' the flights you will get will have R in long haul and L in short haul, becuse its R fare which requires short haul legs to be booked into L.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA, IHG
Originally Posted by Keter
Can anyone suggest how to combine restrictions of different nature in one line (ie routing + fare => what is the concatenation sign)? Sorry if its here, cant find it.
To force two separate fares, you can do things like:
Code:
/ f UA.IND+CHI.-UP | UA.CHI+SFO.-UP
I thought I needed '&' instead of '|', but that's the way it seems to be at the moment.

Ordinarily, I'd do that with multi-city:
YUL-YYZ with no spec
YYZ-TLV with
Code:
/ f bc=B
Only problem with that is it breaks up the married segment availability that you may find YUL-TLV (with stop in YYZ) and you may have trouble booking it (and you also miss availability that may only exist when the segments are together).
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by hausrath
To force two separate fares, you can do things like:
Code:
/ f UA.IND+CHI.-UP | UA.CHI+SFO.-UP
I thought I needed '&' instead of '|', but that's the way it seems to be at the moment.
Thanks! And any way to combine commands of a different nature: ie fare + routing via specific cities?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:05 am

You can do routing + fare in that order. eg:

YUL:: AAA BBB etc / F XX..Y- | YY..B-

Maybe you should read the help on itasoftware.com?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:18 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle

Too time consuming.......for most. Actually the help section of ita is very good. From there you need to play around with the characters for what you need. You don't need to know everything for honestly 80% of those characters and search parameters I will never use.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 4:30 am

In the advance routing code if we put example AC AC it will pull-up only AC metal.

Is their a way to pull up an AC metal flight but via code share example US marketing an AC flight.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 8:15 am

No, normally specifying a carrier only restricts it to flight numbers (eg codeshares included). If you want to exclude codeshares use "o:AC" or "/ -codeshare".

So in your case if you want to have US coded AC flights you have to use "US US" but that will include all US flights so you're probably better off specifying some flight numbers or at least connecting cities in Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.