Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

TIP: More hidden features of ITA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
Here are some more hidden features of the ITA software.

The extensions to the itasoftware routing language are accessed by postpending commands after a '/'. There's a wide set of commands available, but there's no description of them available on the ITA web site. Unfortunately, each command applies only to one part of the trip, so they must usually be entered in each box.

EXCLUDE SPECIFIC AIRLINES
Command is "-airlines XX ..."
Ex: prohibit jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ -airlines B6 DL

LIMIT TO SPECIFIC AIRLINES
Command is "airlines XX ..."
Ex: consider only jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ airlines B6 DL

LIMIT TO A SINGLE ALLIANCE
Command is "alliance star-alliance|oneworld|skyteam"
Ex: oneworld carriers only
to: LAX ::/ alliance oneworld

EXCLUDE CODESHARES
Command is "-codeshare"
Ex: prohibit jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ -codeshare

LIMIT DURATION OF ITINERARY, IN MINUTES
Command is "maxdur XXX"
Ex: no more than 5hrs for each part of trip
to: LAX ::/ maxdur 300

EXCLUDE OVERNIGHT STOPS, AIRPORT CHANGES, REDEYES, PROPELLER PLANES, TRAINS, HELICOPTERS, ANY KIND OF SURFACE TRAVEL
Commands are "-overnight", "-change", "-redeye", "-prop", "-train", "-helicopter", "-surface"
Ex: no overnight stops, no airport changes, no redeyes, no propeller planes
to: LAX ::/ -overnight, -change, -redeye, -prop

SET MINIMUM OR MAXIMUM TIME FOR CONNECTIONS, IN MINUTES
Commands are "minconnect XX", "maxconnect XX"
Ex: no less than one hour, no more than two hour connections
to: LAX ::/ minconnect 60, maxconnect 120

EXTRA CONNECTION TIME
Command is "padconnect XX"
Ex: require at least 20 minutes more than airline specified minimum connection time
to: LAX ::/ padconnect 20

PUTTING LOTS OF THINGS TOGETHER
Separate with commas.
Ex:
to: LAX :: UA+ / f ua.bos+lax.yup, padconnect 20, -overnight
Print Wikipost

TIP: More hidden features of ITA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Can't force overnight layover on ITA

I'm trying to figure out a routing to maximize mileage on UA's amazing B fares ex-LHR. On the fares I'm looking at any stop under 24 hours is considered a transfer, but I can't seem to force an overnight transfer.

If I try multi-city, then the flights on the second day get priced as their own one-way fare, not combined with the first day's flights.

If I try

lhr :: ua x ua x ua x ua x ua /f bc=b, maxconnect 1400
lax :: ua /f bc=b

I get "No flight options were found for the first segment of this trip."

On the other hand, .bomb is able to get me the fare I want with LHR-FRA-ORD-DEN-SEA-LAX on the outbound, with an overnight in DEN.

Any ideas?
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA G
Forcing red-eyes?

I'm trying to find lowest-cost red-eyes with a month long search. Any idea how to force ITA to show red-eyes?
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
[oops]

Last edited by dfreeman02; Feb 18, 2010 at 10:59 pm Reason: my mistake
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dfreeman02
[oops]
that doesn't work for month long search [looking for redeyes only] - is there another way? this would be REALLY helpful for MR's

Last edited by imgonnafly; Feb 20, 2010 at 2:17 pm
Old Feb 26, 2010, 4:10 pm
Company Representative - ITA Software

Sorry, we don't have a way of forcing redeye flights or overnight layovers, other than the obvious ones like using the multi-city page or the departure/arrival time boxes, which of course are not available for the month-long search.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
Any chance of getting a more extensive help page on the site itself?

As seen above, many FTers have come up with some helpful hints. I bet the ITA group could put together a pretty comprehensive package of hints for their help screen, beyond what's there now.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 8:07 am
Company Representative - ITA Software

Originally Posted by nor4
Any chance of getting a more extensive help page on the site itself?

As seen above, many FTers have come up with some helpful hints. I bet the ITA group could put together a pretty comprehensive package of hints for their help screen, beyond what's there now.
Well, it was never our intent to expose most of our internal debugging commands to the world at large. It happened sort of by accident when one of our company founders (who wrote most of our original pricing system) met someone from FlyerTalk because their children went to the same daycare. It sort of spiraled out of control from there.

In the end, these tools are just what I described above: internal debugging commands. Writing them up in an official document would commit us to a level of support and backward-compatibility that I'm not sure we'd be comfortable with. But I'll raise the issue internally.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 8:27 am

Perhaps you could ask the FT community what sorts of commands or specific needs would be most helpful and post a revised help page based on that information. I don't think any of us expect ITA to be our own personal CRS (well not officially). But getting us through some of the the stickier planning tangles would be appreciated.

I have to say the ITA site is a godsend for most of us who use it. So regardless of what you decide to do, many, many thanks to all of you for the site. You cannot know the number of flights you've enabled and time you've saved by creating the site.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
It happened sort of by accident when one of our company founders (who wrote most of our original pricing system) met someone from FlyerTalk because their children went to the same daycare.
What a nice accident it was. As far as I can see it has led to nothing bad and a lot of good.

Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
In the end, these tools are just what I described above: internal debugging commands. Writing them up in an official document would commit us to a level of support and backward-compatibility that I'm not sure we'd be comfortable with.
I can understand that. However, if ITA would disclose the commands to one of us, we could write an informal guide ourselves for use within FT community. I'd even volunteer for that service. You'd not have to provide any service beyond what you are doing now - ie, answering questions, or not, at your convenience and discretion.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by aktchi
I can understand that. However, if ITA would disclose the commands to one of us, we could write an informal guide ourselves for use within FT community. I'd even volunteer for that service. You'd not have to provide any service beyond what you are doing now - ie, answering questions, or not, at your convenience and discretion.
I believe what you may be missing is that de-bugging commands are typically not tested for scalability, therefore having them more out in the open may affect the usability of the tool.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 9:23 am

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
Not to take this thread off topic but I get this stupid error on both FF and IE. I'll do an initial month-long search, get results and then click "modify search". Everything looks good and change to the next month and click "GO". Then the error occurs "Bad route specification" and when I go back to the search I see the following in both city slots "???:: Â ??+" What the heck is causing that "Â" character to come up?
Old Feb 28, 2010, 9:31 am

Programs: United 1k
Originally Posted by Blank Sheet
Not to take this thread off topic but I get this stupid error on both FF and IE. I'll do an initial month-long search, get results and then click "modify search". Everything looks good and change to the next month and click "GO". Then the error occurs "Bad route specification" and when I go back to the search I see the following in both city slots "???:: Â ??+" What the heck is causing that "Â" character to come up?
I noticed this too. It was so easy to work around (ie, just delete the character manually) that I brushed it off. but I am curious as well as to the origin of this character....
Old Feb 28, 2010, 9:36 am

Blank Sheet, I saw the same thing. It looks like the right format,"???:: Â ??+", airport code:: airline code+, with the weird accent circonflexe "A" stuck in there. Somebody at ITA is probably debugging it as we speak.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
I believe what you may be missing is that de-bugging commands are typically not tested for scalability, therefore having them more out in the open may affect the usability of the tool.
We can imagine all kind of bad things. However, as far as we know, ITA has not suffered from the previous "accidental" release of their debugging commands---and we do have a few years of experience on that.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Anyway to search for Premium Economy seats on ITA? On some international airlines PE (e.g NZ, SG, AN) is a seperate cabin with enhanced seats and food. This is what I am looking for- not UA's E+...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.