Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

12/31 is FAST approaching....anyone in 'A WORLD OF HURT' to qualify?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

12/31 is FAST approaching....anyone in 'A WORLD OF HURT' to qualify?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2001, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wouldn't bother trying for a mileage run now. The prices are high for last minute runs, especially with the holiday season.

Why not do a mileage run first thing in January? You can easily make a weekend run to either ZRH or NRT with no hotel stay. Leave Friday night or Saturday morning and be back by Sunday night.

If you sign up for the Gold Challenge, a run to ZRH/NRT will easily get you the necessary 5k Q-points.
Old Dec 12, 2001, 6:45 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by owenthomas:
I've got a stumper. I'm 9,000 miles shy of Gold on American. (Yes, I'm new at this.) Is there any way to leave the evening of December 28, get back December 31, and squeeze out the miles needed? I can leave from SFO or OAK, and wouldn't mind spending my downtime in New York or D.C.</font>
You can't get 9,000 miles going to NY or DC unless you do end-on-end (e.g., SFO-FLL via ORD, and FLL to LGA via ORD).

One round trip to LHR is $546.91. 12,074 miles via JFK. Leave SFO 10:00 PM Dec. 28, back Dec. 31 evening.

[This message has been edited by JS (edited 12-12-2001).]
Old Dec 12, 2001, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by owenthomas:
I'm 9,000 miles shy of Gold on American. </font>
JS's suggestion of London 12/28-31 via NYC sounds reasonable... but Cheap Tickets (1-800-377-1000) will sell you the same dates on AA for $476 including tax and service charges. Includes miles too!

Santa will be pulling into town about 10PM.

So with the $70 or so difference it's eggnog for all, courtesy of you!

Merry Christmas!

Old Dec 13, 2001, 12:29 am

Ok, I have been lurking here on and off for better than a year, but it's time to get some help in person.

I was booted out of Premier & Premiere Emeritus, due to a job change with low travel and spent most of this year trying to get back. Got pretty far on consulting gigs, BUT lost all of my contracts since Sept 11. and have no where to go work wise. It also means I am low on cash. The United scoreboard says I am 4570 away from Premiere (again).

Membership level General Member
Miles needed for Premier ® Status 4570
I have 12 Segments
Current program balance 151951

I just need enough to pass the basic elite level. I am out of SJC. Need to be home 12/22 -12/26 - Could travel starting 12/15.

Would want to spend under $300 if possible. I guess popping in and out of Asia could work if it was cheap enough.

I am worried that any bonus miles will not count toward elite. I just saw the Mileslink article sent tonight that suggested you can get 8000 UA miles for $71 in magazines, WHICH SOUNDS GREAT but I doubt it would help me qualify for Premiere. I would be glad to buy my way out of this if that would work.
Old Dec 13, 2001, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Starwood Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Platinum
tvl4santa, you are on a roll. I'm looking for 4816 miles (or 11 segments) just to make lowly 2P on United. Currently have 20184 miles and 19 segments. I fly out of DEN, can travel outbound starting 12/28, return by 1/1 (although have to be home by 4 pm MST on 1/1 to watch CU in the Fiesta Bowl!) and would prefer to spend less than $300. Would love to visit a scenic place (warm or cold) if layover is necessary, otherwise no preference.

Cheers, happy holidays, and thanks for starting this exceedingly generous thread!

BB

[This message has been edited by BoulderBri (edited 12-13-2001).]

[This message has been edited by BoulderBri (edited 12-13-2001).]
Old Dec 13, 2001, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by qtschlepper I am 4570 away from Premiere... I am out of SJC. Could travel starting 12/15... want to spend under $300 if possible. </font>
Well a simi-Christmassy idea for $251 SantaBucks just took a 'nose-deer' dive, cause it comes up short by 20 little tiny miles! (Don't ya just hate when the reindeer do that?).

So there are some other options:

1. You could pick up approximately 3,550 miles by flying OAK-DEN-GEG RT on the 15th and 16th. This is a no advance purchase fare of $154 with a fare basis of WOE0HLN and is basically valid on these dates only. This would leave you with 1,020 miles to go by the end of the year. If you could pick up 3 segments in the CA market by the 31st, this would add another 1,500 miles to your account and resolve this issue.

2.If you head on over to www.ual.com there is a weendend fare of $318 from SJC to IAD. With tax the total is $332. This deal requires outbound on the 15th and return on the 17th. Miles earned would = 4814 approximately.

Option No. 2 is probably best....cause TvlSantas think that 'WAY OVER' ... and everything done and over with... is like a Christmas present this time of year!

Happy Holidays to you!

[This message has been edited by tvl4free (edited 12-13-2001).]
Old Dec 13, 2001, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pamgodd:
Am currently gold with NW and no hope of getting it again in 2002 unless I do the three domestic flights by 12/31 for platinum status. (Tickets must be F,P,Y,B, M.) I can fly anyday except the 19th, 23-25th. Budget is $700. Am based in Memphis but can fly out of Little Rock AR also.</font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tvl4free:
Any chance at all you can fly half a day on the 23? Or all day on the 24th? Please, pretty please? </font>
M fares are the lowest priced fares that will qualify under this promotion. Usually, they have at Sat. nite stay requirement... and so one needs to find a way to work around that restriction.

BTW, glad to hear via e-mail that you can fly on the 23rd. There are a couple of M fare specials that day that don't require a Sat nite stay. On the 23rd, if you did a MEM-TUP turn followed immediately by a MEM-LIT turn... you could knock out two of the trips in one day... and get you back home by 4PM (a third turn is not possible that day ) . These M fares are $176 and $190 respectively. Then on the 29, if you could drive the 90 miles to TUP and park the car... and then fly back to MEM that Sat.... you could overnite at home... and fly the back to TUP on Sun the 29th.... thus qualifying for a Sat nite stay M fare of again, $176.

These M fares total $542 - so the price comes in under budget... with no overnite expenses to goble up the Christmas gift budget.

Voila! You'll find your present of PLATINUM under the tree, courtesy of all of us, here at FT!

Old Dec 14, 2001, 12:11 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shinkansen:
tvl4free,

Your suggestion just gets better...

I have found out I was told incorrectly that parking at the little St Cloud airport is $4 per day less than MSP. I called back during regular hours and talked to the admin. office. I was told there is a lot next to the airport which is FREE, and that long term parking is just fine...

So, instead of eight days of parking at $10.50 per day ($84), my parking exp. is zero. The $159 St Cloud - MSP RT just became a $74 flight ($159 - $84).

I love it!
</font>

I was just going to respond to your previous post to let you know that STC parking is FREE, but, alas you found that out. It is a great little airport, almost brand new terminal with lots of granite and wood, you'll like it. The only negative is NW has scaled it back to 4 flights a day to MSP, making connections sometimes difficult.
Old Dec 14, 2001, 9:42 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BoulderBri: I'm looking for 4816 miles... I fly out of DEN.., can travel... starting 12/28, return by 1/1... $300 </font>
Only one possibility within the $300 price range that was mentioned was found.

And, that would require that you use the www.ual.com e-fares that are offered this week on the 15th and 17th. Possibly you could buy a RT tkt DEN-BOS... and then another from BOS to ORD...??? The flights connect up perfectly (1762,525,510,& 999)... and would harvest approximately 5,242 miles. The two fares would come to $355, $384 with tax.

Of course, you would get double miles on the outbound because the double mile promotion is good thruough the 15th. And, the double miles would make a nice little treasure chest for under the tree, don't you think?

Another 'quick and easy' possibility - that is available on the 27th and the 30th - would be LH from DEN-FRA. The fare is $540 something, and would do the job nicely but, might be out of the desired price range.

Getting an itinerary that would reap the desired miles is not the problem... it's just that finding seats out of that fortress between now and the end of the year, IS A problem.

Finally, I even looked at the new fare of $198 from JFK-LON... thinking just maybe one might be able to swing a Premier freebie to NYC... but there are no seats left to LON at that price for the entire rest of the year. (It's a 'match the competition,' but we don't have any seats 'kind of thing', you know.).

Man, you really don't need that many more miles! Your tvlSanta hopes that this effort, however small, might help you find them.

Happy Holidays and Season's Greetings to ya.

P.S. UPDATE: There still might be hope regarding the 11 little morsels if you can make it into the CA market... via Priceline or whatever.

United, give us something to work with... somewhere, anywhere, just anything without a 21/14 day advance notice! Lighten up, welcome us on board... it's Christmas!

[This message has been edited by tvl4free (edited 12-14-2001).]
Old Dec 14, 2001, 10:14 am

tvl4free, glad to see that I am not the only one who gets stymied trying to find deals out of DEN. Thank you for taking the time to research this for me, and I will keep you posted if I can make one of these runs happen. Best wishes and thanks again!

Cheers,

BB

[This message has been edited by BoulderBri (edited 12-14-2001).]
Old Dec 14, 2001, 11:30 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Just a thought on DEN. What about originating in COS?
Old Dec 14, 2001, 9:50 pm

Well your suggestion is well taken. I am on the IAD flight tomorrow morning and attempt to slay this dragon. In order to cut my room costs, I am going to have to chop firewood at a friends house in Virginia, until I go back on the Monday turnaround. I think this was a good trade, but depending on the number of Advil's I will need to take at the end of the day, it may be a wash. Thanks for helping me find this before UA ran out of seats on the outbound segment.I think this gets me elite till 2003, no? A great Xmas tip. Many thanks again.
QTSchlepper

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tvl4free:
Well a simi-Christmassy idea for $251 SantaBucks just took a 'nose-deer' dive, cause it comes up short by 20 little tiny miles! (Don't ya just hate when the reindeer do that?).

So there are some other options:

1. You could pick up approximately 3,550 miles by flying OAK-DEN-GEG RT on the 15th and 16th. This is a no advance purchase fare of $154 with a fare basis of WOE0HLN and is basically valid on these dates only. This would leave you with 1,020 miles to go by the end of the year. If you could pick up 3 segments in the CA market by the 31st, this would add another 1,500 miles to your account and resolve this issue.

2.If you head on over to www.ual.com there is a weendend fare of $318 from SJC to IAD. With tax the total is $332. This deal requires outbound on the 15th and return on the 17th. Miles earned would = 4814 approximately.

Option No. 2 is probably best....cause TvlSantas think that 'WAY OVER' ... and everything done and over with... is like a Christmas present this time of year!

Happy Holidays to you!

</font>
Old Dec 17, 2001, 3:01 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Club Carlson Gold
I need 4800 miles on UA out of ORD to make 1P for the first time. I know it's getting late, but my schedule just opened up. I can fly any time til the end of the year.

I've tried SJO (San Jose, Costa Rica), and California, and PIT but can't seem to find anything reasonable. I'd like to stay under $400 and warm is good. You're doing so well, can you help me too?
Old Dec 17, 2001, 8:26 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by opushomes:
Just a thought on DEN. What about originating in COS?</font>
Opushomes, haven't really explored this option at all. Will give it a shot and thanks for the idea...

Cheers,

BB
Old Dec 17, 2001, 8:29 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DBoy:
I need 4800 miles on UA out of ORD... my schedule just opened up. I can fly any time til the end of the year. I've tried SJO...but can't seem to find anything reasonable.I'd like to stay under $400</font>
Did somebody say San Jose, Costa Rica...ANTIME...even para La Navidad???. So lets go... via the fabulous services of Star Alliance Partner, Mexicana Airlines!!!

Lets repeat together...tequila sunrises, Coronas, Margaritas.. it's MEXICANA AIRLINES!

The following yields 5788 miles approximately. The present cost on option No. 1 is $435.20 NXC60CR/NWC60CR and option 2 is $450.20 NWC60CR. Call MX direct for booking... or maybe try ORBITZ, selecting these EXACT flights.

AND, DO IT NOW!

(Shoosh don't tell anybody... cause it's a chunk of miles... and they're still available out of ORD... at the moment.).

OPTION 1

1 MX 801N 25DEC TU ORDMEX HK1 200P 615P/O
2*MX3023N 25DEC TU MEXSJO HK1 955P 1244A#1
3 MX 386N 28DEC FR SJOMEX HK1 700A 1010A/O
4*MX3012N 28DEC FR MEXORD HK1 1120A 320P/O

OPTION 2

1 MX 801N 28DEC FR ORDMEX SS1 200P 615P/O
2*MX3023N 28DEC FR MEXSJO SS1 955P 1244A#1
3 MX 386N 30DEC SU SJOMEX SS1 700A 1010A/O
4 MX 802N 30DEC SU MEXORD SS1 240P 635P/O

BTW, MP just informed your tvlSanta that the following classes of service do qualify toward Premier qualification on MX: Y, B, K, L, M, Q, S, H, and N. So somebody may have Premier status just around the corner.

As Jose Feliciano once sang,'FELIZ NAVIDAD, FELIZ NAVIDAD, FELIZ NAVIAD... PROSPERO ANO Y FELICIDAD!'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.