Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

12/31 is FAST approaching....anyone in 'A WORLD OF HURT' to qualify?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

12/31 is FAST approaching....anyone in 'A WORLD OF HURT' to qualify?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2008, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by sschneids
Hi... I've been EXP for 3 years now. The sad part is that I've never had to worry about re-qualifying since work has graciously provided more than enough opportunity. This year I've worked more local than normal and only have 76,624 points / 65,962 miles. I think next year is looking like a much heavier travel load and now that I've tasted sweet EXP status I can't fathom going back (well, I guess I could but will dearly miss the VIPs on int'l travel and no fees for using miles).

Okay, so I have the rest of the year off and no real travel plans. Wouldn't mind mixing a conventional MR in with some pleasure, but don't really know how to go about this. Tried to follow directions tabbing from site-to-site but that was taking forever and none of the deals were consistent across sites. So, in the spirit of this thread (1) is it too late for me? (2) any thoughts or suggestions?

Best,

Steven
IMO, it's never too late, even though you are cutting it very fine, and the fares could be outrageous this time of the year.

Being that you need something like 30,000 miles, your MR will need to be to Europe and Asia. May be the AA gurus can assist you.

Here is one idea to get you started:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...-i-l-fare.html
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sschneids
Hi... I've been EXP for 3 years now. The sad part is that I've never had to worry about re-qualifying since work has graciously provided more than enough opportunity. This year I've worked more local than normal and only have 76,624 points / 65,962 miles. I think next year is looking like a much heavier travel load and now that I've tasted sweet EXP status I can't fathom going back (well, I guess I could but will dearly miss the VIPs on int'l travel and no fees for using miles).

Okay, so I have the rest of the year off and no real travel plans. Wouldn't mind mixing a conventional MR in with some pleasure, but don't really know how to go about this. Tried to follow directions tabbing from site-to-site but that was taking forever and none of the deals were consistent across sites. So, in the spirit of this thread (1) is it too late for me? (2) any thoughts or suggestions?

Best,

Steven
hi sschneids, I am interested i helping, as I just made EXP and wish to pay some favors forward ...

where are you located or planning to fly out of? are there any parameters to your MR'ing other than the amount of miles (points?) needed?

are you open to int'l flights? TATL, TPAC, or both? also, have seen some interesting fares for flights to Buenos Aires (EZE) lately on AA.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL PM
I was sweatin it this year to maintain Platinum for next year.... I usually fly DL to Mumbai often and get great mileage, but due to the travel girls in the office screwin things up I got stuck flying this lat time to Mumbai on CO on an I fare....grrrrrr.... only 50% miles. Ended up with 69,XXX miles with only a return trip home from Singapore to go..... New girl in travel books me on AA home from Singapore. I call her and explain that my travel choices are clearly outlined on my profile in the office. The girl has no clue about travel/ff programs/alliances etc.... So after 3 days of not hearing from her, I just happened to check my Dl account and booya! A Y fare booked on KE/Delta all the way home.^ Used miles to move my butt up front and sat comfortably all the way home and cleared PM by plenty for next year. Whew.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:41 pm

UA: 20,000miles from United 1K. Willing to travel international or multiple domestic to hit 1K.

SFO/OAK and SJC is good for me to fly out of.

Anyone know of any cheap fares to get lots of miles. Wi
Thanks
Old Dec 19, 2008, 11:05 pm

Programs: DL PM
SFO-JAX is over 5k miles r/t and I believe I have seen alot of ~$180ish a/i fares. Just a thought.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:15 am
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by tallasnguy
UA: 20,000miles from United 1K. Willing to travel international or multiple domestic to hit 1K.

SFO/OAK and SJC is good for me to fly out of.

Anyone know of any cheap fares to get lots of miles. Wi
Thanks
Still a number of Z fares to Europe. Gets you 150% EQM and flights in C.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:19 am
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by bkkress
Hi All -

I've read this for years and done one mileage run to hit 1K status about 3 years ago. The past two years my work flew me enough to hit the status but this year was lean and I'm afraid I waited too late. (was hoping UA would offer 1K for purchase - although I'd much rather earn.) I am fairly flexible for long weekend travel and understand I may need to pay up to have any hope this year (I'm at 55k, so 45K SHORT of 1K) Hate to lose, call me spoiled.....

Any options or suggestions from Denver? I tried a DEN-FRA-SIN-FRA-DEN that would almost get me there, but $13k was a bit high. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would travel Dec 25, 26, 27, 28 if needed and have some other flexability.

thanks all! (Prefer UA flights but not mandatory if the right deal(s) arose.
Hmmm... A Z fare DEN-FRA via IAD gets you 16,500 for about $2400 (flying in the C cabin). You'd need to do that 3 times to get you there, and that's a bit rough... But, that's half of your $13k.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:18 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Starwood, NWA, Frontier
Need 3150 UA miles to get to PR EXEC, out of DEN. Best as I can tell, options are mainly East Coast (LGA, MIA, BOS). Hawaii is expensive. Any ideas from the pros out there?
Old Dec 21, 2008, 1:39 am

Hows this for a challenge - 9 days left and 15K short of UA 1K

Title says it all. I have been UA 1k for a couple of years and this year I didn't do as much travel as I had hoped. I am 15K short of the 100,000 mile mark. While I live in Amsterdam, I am flying to San Antonio today. (Unfortunately I used miles for the 1st class ticket). So what miracles can you work to find me a way to get up to 1K by the end of the year. I guess I can spend upwards of 500-750. But would definitely prefer the very low end of that range.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I managed to move up to EXP, 1K and requalified for BMI *G this year. Got a status match to NW Platinum as well.

However, I guess I have to sacrify my LH Senator as I'm about 25K miles short of it and it would require an investment of about 1400 USD in the next week. Not in the books I guess...

Oh well, maybe an opportunity arises.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA Platinum/Million Mile Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Newbie PHX Question

I'm about 6K short on CO for Gold so booked EWR-IAH-PDX-IAH-EWR on 12/27 to get me over. I arrive PDX at 12:05AM on the 28th and depart at 6:00AM. Does the terminal/concourse stay open all night or am I going to have to find a hotel for 3-4 hours? PDX' web site does not show hours.

TIA
Old Dec 21, 2008, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium?
Need 250 miles...

Anyone want a challenge?

Just need 250 UA miles before the end of the year... I'm really kicking myself for allowing this to happen. I could have chosen a different routing earlier this year to avoid this mess. I even planned a last minute FRA-MRS trip to get me over the top, only to find out one of the segments booked into E class (0 miles on LH ). Anyhow, now I'm back in BDL till the new year.

So...how cheaply can this be done? 250 UA (or *) miles leaving from BDL before the end of the year.

Last edited by BDL-FRA; Dec 21, 2008 at 4:34 pm Reason: clarification...
Old Dec 22, 2008, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by BDL-FRA
Anyone want a challenge?

Just need 250 UA miles before the end of the year... I'm really kicking myself for allowing this to happen. I could have chosen a different routing earlier this year to avoid this mess. I even planned a last minute FRA-MRS trip to get me over the top, only to find out one of the segments booked into E class (0 miles on LH ). Anyhow, now I'm back in BDL till the new year.

So...how cheaply can this be done? 250 UA (or *) miles leaving from BDL before the end of the year.
This isn't cheap but it gets you to your status

Hartford, CT to Baltimore, MD: 284 miles 3 hrs 7 min

US Airways Flight US1061 on a Boeing 737 (jet) in coach class
Departs Hartford, CT (BDL) Mon, Dec 29 7:15a 1 hr 23 min
Arrives Philadelphia, PA (PHL) 8:38a
Layover in Philadelphia 47 min
US Airways Flight US3031 on an Embraer ERJ-135/145 (jet) in coach class
(operated by US Airways Express - Chautauqua Airlines)
Departs Philadelphia, PA (PHL) Mon, Dec 29 9:25a 57 min
Arrives Baltimore, MD (BWI) 10:22a
Note: You must change terminals in Philadelphia (PHL).

Baltimore, MD to Hartford, CT: 284 miles 2 hrs 55 min

US Airways Flight US1406 on an Embraer RJ-190 (jet) in coach class
Departs Baltimore, MD (BWI) Mon, Dec 29 6:35p 54 min
Arrives Philadelphia, PA (PHL) 7:29p
Layover in Philadelphia 56 min
US Airways Flight US1240 on a Boeing 737 (jet) in coach class
Departs Philadelphia, PA (PHL) Mon, Dec 29 8:25p 1 hr 5 min
Arrives Hartford, CT (BDL) 9:30p

$256
Old Dec 22, 2008, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Ken-NJ
I'm about 6K short on CO for Gold so booked EWR-IAH-PDX-IAH-EWR on 12/27 to get me over. I arrive PDX at 12:05AM on the 28th and depart at 6:00AM. Does the terminal/concourse stay open all night or am I going to have to find a hotel for 3-4 hours? PDX' web site does not show hours.

TIA
Try posting this question in the Continental forum...but if memory serves me correct...the terminal will be open all night
Old Dec 22, 2008, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by BDL-FRA
Anyone want a challenge?

With UA restoring the 500-miles minimum, you can easily do a day trip to ORD or IAD from BDL, and would have more than the 250 UA miles needed.

I found BDL-ORD-BDL for $309 on 12/24 and 12/27/08.
Check in CC for any last minute unused $100-off cert to apply toward this MR fare.
Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.