Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

12/31 is FAST approaching....anyone in 'A WORLD OF HURT' to qualify?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

12/31 is FAST approaching....anyone in 'A WORLD OF HURT' to qualify?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2001, 10:57 pm

Programs: All over the place now.
Maybe I'm just confused because I don't do this stuff really. Re: all the posts about needing x miles and getting double miles before a certain date, I thought the double miles didn't count towards status. Is this only for certain airlines? I'm on Alaska and now I don't remember reading that they didn't count toward status. I guess I just assumed.
Old Dec 6, 2001, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by peteropny:
v3

you can do ATL-CVG-DAY-CVG-ATL for 4,000 base miles at a cost of about $125. Do that 2x and you have your miles.
</font>
Of course, I had already already thought about that one, but since you brought it up, this might be slightly better: ATL-LEX-CVG-DAY on the outbound, with DAY-CVG-LEX/TYS-ATL on the return. $143 RT. The 6 segs can be done in one day. On another day, one could do one GSO or RDU RT for $88 bucks or a little less. The 'powers that be' might be alerted to this one, thus my reasoning for liking the previous 4 seg, and less expensive,'all in one day' adventure!

[This message has been edited by tvl4free (edited 12-06-2001).]
Old Dec 6, 2001, 5:17 am

I need about 6500 miles on united. I would like to try something 12/13 in the afternoon preferably a red eye and come back friday morning. That way I would get double miles Any suggestions? I would be flying from smf.
Old Dec 6, 2001, 6:40 am
v3

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tvl4free:
Of course, I had already already thought about that one...</font>
tv4free - thanks! You are really a master of air domain ! One can learn a lot from your posts and I'm trying hard to do just that.
Of cause thanks to everyone else for suggestings and ideas - looks like I'll be doing this on 12/12.

12/07 - thanks to tv4free help I was able to book it: BHM - SLC, gives me enough miles for GM!

[This message has been edited by v3 (edited 12-07-2001).]
Old Dec 6, 2001, 8:01 am

I'll be on my way on my first mileage trip on Sunday!! Thanks PremEx. I thought SIN was all sold out, but I actually found a fare leaving on Sunday and returning Tuesday. I will even qualify for the double miles!!

I'll only be in Singapore 7 hours, any ideas? Also, anyone have a SWU they aren't going to use? I only have one left. (Thoought I'd try!)

Thanks for all the help here!
Old Dec 6, 2001, 8:03 am

One other thing for those looking...this weekend you can go to PVG. Leave of Friday and come back Sunday or Monday. A little pricey (812 from DEN) but over 14K miles, and that gets doubled.
Old Dec 6, 2001, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Karen Reinhardt:
I need 11695 miles to qualify for CO silver elite. </font>
How many segs do you already have... what is your budget... and what do you mean by modest? For last minute travel, it's going to be tough. International would probably be best.

Jingle, jingle... Christmas is on the way.
Old Dec 6, 2001, 2:17 pm

Now need 4500 miles to make gold on NWA. Leaving from MSP. Can fly anytime. Prefer to stay domestic. Looking to do it cheaply. CO/NWA will work. Any ideas?

Thanks.
MSPFLYER1
Old Dec 6, 2001, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Another option for those needing DL Medallion requalification miles is the DL Amex Platinum card; $135 gets you 10,000 base miles, and you don't have to hassle with security, surly FA's, and greasy snack mix!
Old Dec 6, 2001, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tph4:
I need about 6500 miles on united. </font>
It could have been done for about $135 plus tax by segs... but poof, the fare is gone.

United just changed many of the fares to 14 day advance purchases and the cheaper ones now require either a SAT nite stay or a 3 nite stay, depending on the market.

Can you change the dates... so we can look for something else... or RU set on the double miles? If set on the dates and miles (with only a one nite stay)$400-500 with tax may be required.

You might want to check out UAL's web specials - which includes a SFO-NRT RT for $ 338 this week.

Old Dec 6, 2001, 3:51 pm
Original Member

Location: Tyler, TX- Former Onepass Infinite Platinum +MM & CO * now UA-1K, Hyatt Diamond, ICH RA, Hilton HH Diamond VIP, Hertz Prez Circle, Clear Registered Traveler, BIG fan of Pre-Check
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Karen Reinhardt:
I need 11695 miles to qualify for CO silver elite...</font>
Assuming that your 11,695 is reduced by 5,322 for SEA-TPA (via IAH) and TPA-YHZ for 3,224 (via EWR...counting double miles promo for both), you need 3,149 to get there. Since you want to fly virtually last mintue, try TPA-IAH-MSY on CO for $235. If my math's correct, including the double miles it's 5,148. Let us know how it works out for you.

DAW

------------------
OnePass - Infinite Platinum
Hyatt - Diamond
Starwood - Gold
Old Dec 6, 2001, 4:12 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
MSPFlyer needs 4500 miles. Try this one, It yields more than the required miles,although it does not qualify as cheap, it gets you there. Rent a car and go skiing in Oregon or Washington for a couple of days. Or look for AS web specials and see if you can up the ante.

[The idea here is to pick up an extra 2000 miles by doing short hops on each end of the itinerary. Because you are in MSP - an essentially sole-sourced hub - it sometimes is cheaper to drive a short distance to an alternate and connect back through your normal originating airport. This is the case here.
You can cut the duration of this trip, but the dates that I tried upped the cost by approx. $100. This may be better than the extra time. It is your choice.]

Welcome opushomes

Departure airport:
EAU (Eau Claire)

Destination airport:
PSC (Pasco)120 mi-GEG (Spokane)

Eau Claire, WI (EAU-Chippewa Valley Regional) - Pasco, WA (PSC-Tri-Cities)

$421.25 Express Booking Choose and continue
7:25 AM Depart Eau Claire (EAU)
Arrive Pasco (PSC) 2:55 PM Thu 13-Dec
9hr 30mn Northwest 3004 / 375 / 2092
Connect in Minneapolis (MSP), Portland (PDX)
Total stops: 3
Northwest 3004 operated by MESABA AVIATION/NW AIRLINK
Northwest 2092 operated by HORIZON AIR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11:10 AM Depart Pasco (PSC)
Arrive Eau Claire (EAU) 9:43 PM Sun 16-Dec
8hr 33mn Northwest 2103 / 162 / 3278
Connect in Seattle (SEA), Minneapolis (MSP)
Northwest 2103 operated by HORIZON AIR
Northwest 3278 operated by MESABA AVIATION/NW AIRLINK

$448.50
9:31 AM Depart Eau Claire (EAU)
Arrive Pasco (PSC) 5:25 PM Thu 13-Dec
9hr 54mn Northwest 3203 / 379 / 2212
Connect in Minneapolis (MSP), Portland (PDX)
Northwest 3203 operated by MESABA AVIATION/NW AIRLINK
Northwest 2212 operated by HORIZON AIR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$448.50 Express Booking Choose and continue
3:24 PM Depart Eau Claire (EAU)
Arrive Pasco (PSC) 9:20 PM Thu 13-Dec
7hr 56mn Northwest 2937 / 43 / 2118
Connect in Minneapolis (MSP), Seattle (SEA)
Northwest 2937 operated by MESABA AVIATION/NW AIRLINK
Northwest 2118 operated by HORIZON AIR

[This message has been edited by opushomes (edited 12-06-2001).]
Old Dec 6, 2001, 4:14 pm
Original Member

Location: Tyler, TX- Former Onepass Infinite Platinum +MM & CO * now UA-1K, Hyatt Diamond, ICH RA, Hilton HH Diamond VIP, Hertz Prez Circle, Clear Registered Traveler, BIG fan of Pre-Check
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mspflyer1:
Now need 4500 miles to make gold on NWA. Leaving from MSP. Can fly anytime. Prefer to stay domestic. Looking to do it cheaply. CO/NWA will work...</font>
MSP is tough since it's a NW hub. The cheapest route would be to find someone who has an infamous NWA Discount Travel Cert (PDxxx). Zone pricing is around $200 rt - 7 day advance, sat stay but the price is right. If you can't find one of those, I saw the following:

341.00 USD Total including taxes

Continental 5782 | 535
Aircraft: D95 | 73G Sat - Dec 15, 2001 Minneapolis/ St. Paul, MN (MSP) 1:23 PM Los Angeles, CA (LAX) 7:35 PM

Continental 1230 | 5611
Aircraft: 73G | 320 Sun - Dec 16, 2001 Los Angeles, CA (LAX) 10:35 AM Minneapolis/ St. Paul, MN (MSP) 7:54 PM

It's a little high, but worth 5,348 miles. Good luck,
DAW

------------------
OnePass - Infinite Platinum
Hyatt - Diamond
Starwood - Gold
Old Dec 6, 2001, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

mspflyer1,

Now you know that you've made your TvlSanta work overtime, but that's pretty much routing these days!

You'll want to pack a small bag and dress appropriately, of course, cause maybe CO will bump you UpFront4free. This deal is from MSP-SFO. The dates that were available were 12/15 outbound, returning on 12/16. Plug in the following routing: MSP-IAH-SFO-CLE-MSP.

The fare is $212.50, no more, no less... and it earns 5,467 miles... but it has a comfort zone, and that's just what you need!

Happy holidays to you!

[This message has been edited by tvl4free (edited 12-06-2001).]
Old Dec 7, 2001, 12:53 pm

HELP and thanks for the offer. Am currently gold with NW and no hope of getting it again in 2002 unless I do the three domestic flights by 12/31 for platinum status. (Ticket must be F,P,Y,B, M.)

I can fly almost anyday except the 19th, 23-25th. Budget is $700. Am based in Memphis but can fly out of Little Rock, AR also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.