Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2021 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2021, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary
Print Wikipost

DL/Sky Team: 2021 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2021, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by SCG7807
Oh wow I didn't realize that. Thank you so much. I don't travel internationally and used to travel a lot for work but COVID. We have a family trip planned and it would be nice to have higher status for that.

I'm not sure if it is worth paying up to 300 but dang, that 37k waiver spending is hard to "throw away". I wish I had planned better but it was hard to plan anything this year. And the way miles are calculated is confusing to someone like me who doesn't have a lot of knowledge of playing the game 😆
Another thought is to do a longer mileage run now to take advantage of the Delta Skymiles accelerator, earn your Gold Medallion and also have some carry over MQMs to give you a head start on 2022

For example, Dec 29, MSP-KOA, $877 (MC), 12,274 MQMs, 2 hours in KOA. 500 MQMs would go toward you achieving Gold Medallion status this year and the remainder carries over to next year

Old Dec 20, 2021, 9:42 am

Programs: Delta MM+ DM trusted traveler, goes, Marriott, IHG SPG. NH Hyatt, Hilton
Re VS to Johburg from jfk in Jan 2020 RT

Originally Posted by ProfRB
Has anyone done an Virgin Atlantic Economy Delight run (e.g., NYC-JNB) recently? I'll have time on my hands mid-February and would love to do a run, but given covid-related travel restrictions I don't even know if these are possible any more. If anyone has done a VS run from any US city to any international destination recently, I'd appreciate your thoughts/advice.
I had done a fabulous run just before the big Covid announcement : jfk to LHR to JOhburg RT in premium economy and had one night layover there. It was a great price point and I gained many MQMs and MQDs the seats were comfortable on their A350-1000 for all segments. I dont remember what I paid but all considered, it was well worth the trip
Old Dec 20, 2021, 9:56 am

Programs: Delta MM+ DM trusted traveler, goes, Marriott, IHG SPG. NH Hyatt, Hilton
How did you piece that together please

Originally Posted by rdh0924
Over the past two weeks, I flew SAT-MEX-MAD-MEX-SAT ($1,200ish for $5,000+ MQDs) and OMA-MSP-SEA-JFK-BOG-JFK-MSP (~25,000 MQMs) to reach Diamond status. Shout-out to everyone assisting on this thread. Wouldn't have been able to do it without all the great advice. Thank you!
what a fab run ! I’d love to do that or something like that in 2022. Are there any suggested Am runs starting out from JFK or LGA in 2022 please?
Old Dec 20, 2021, 10:49 am

I need 492 miles for Gold. My home airport is MSP and I can fly same day to RST or ORD for <$300. Is it worth that for Gold? I have the Amex Plat card spend waiver and it took me about 7 months to get there. We have a family trip planned next year in October so I would think we'd get the waiver by then.

Pros: Gold status for work travel (although I usually get what I want on those flights) and for family trip
Cons: a day away from family, COVID exposure risk, tiring to travel all day (live 90 miles from the airport) and $
Old Dec 20, 2021, 11:04 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Silver, UA Plat
I need 492 miles for Gold. My home airport is MSP and I can fly same day to RST or ORD for <$300. Is it worth that for Gold? I have the Amex Plat card spend waiver and it took me about 7 months to get there. We have a family trip planned next year in October so I would think we'd get the waiver by then.

Pros: Gold status for work travel (although I usually get what I want on those flights) and for family trip
Cons: a day away from family, COVID exposure risk, tiring to travel all day (live 90 miles from the airport) and $

Not sure how easy it is to get upgraded as GM. I’m PM and it’s not that great from the Bay Area (maybe less than 50%)

The only positive to having gold this year vs staying at silver (my assumption is you are silver trying to reach for gold) would be lounge access on international flights. Not sure how much you are doing and if it is in economy/prem economy then it may be worth it.
SCG7807 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Fes426
Not sure how easy it is to get upgraded as GM. I’m PM and it’s not that great from the Bay Area (maybe less than 50%)

The only positive to having gold this year vs staying at silver (my assumption is you are silver trying to reach for gold) would be lounge access on international flights. Not sure how much you are doing and if it is in economy/prem economy then it may be worth it.
Your assumption is correct - silver. No international flights planned anytime soon. The visual of this is killing me!
Old Dec 22, 2021, 12:47 pm

Your assumption is correct - silver. No international flights planned anytime soon. The visual of this is killing me!
If you don't mind overnighting in RST, then you could take the last flight of the day from MSP which gets in to RST just before midnight, return flight from RST departs just before 6am. Dec 29 - 30, $199 (basic economy) / $248 (Main)

MSP-ORD, Dec 28th, $217 (Main Cabin), 3 hours in ORD, afternoon departure from MSP, arrive back in MSP at 7:35pm
Old Dec 23, 2021, 7:07 am

A better 2022

Thanks to the help that I received in this forum, I was able to secure Gold for 2022.
For next year, I am looking to take advantage of the MQM carry over and get Platinum for 2023 (and the rest of 2022) as quickly as possible. I will have about 60k MQM rollover so it shouldn't be hard to get to 75k. I'm looking for the best ways to maximize MQD per dollar spent in Q1 of next year plus actually make a vacation out of these flights.
I've seen recommendations to fly Aeromexico business class as a way to get a lot of MQDs. I set about trying to find the Aeromexico routes that I can take from NYC airports that are long (in distance). What tools do you recommend to try to find the routes that would be the most optimal (especially if you don't have a destination in mind)? I've tried the explore feature in Google flights and it isn't bad. Any other suggestions?
Old Dec 23, 2021, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by NYC_Bound
Thanks to the help that I received in this forum, I was able to secure Gold for 2022.
For next year, I am looking to take advantage of the MQM carry over and get Platinum for 2023 (and the rest of 2022) as quickly as possible. I will have about 60k MQM rollover so it shouldn't be hard to get to 75k. I'm looking for the best ways to maximize MQD per dollar spent in Q1 of next year plus actually make a vacation out of these flights.
I've seen recommendations to fly Aeromexico business class as a way to get a lot of MQDs. I set about trying to find the Aeromexico routes that I can take from NYC airports that are long (in distance). What tools do you recommend to try to find the routes that would be the most optimal (especially if you don't have a destination in mind)? I've tried the explore feature in Google flights and it isn't bad. Any other suggestions?
I would add ITA Matrix to your tool set.

Also, take a look at the Flyertalk Premium Fare Deals forum

I would also add Virgin Atlantic to the list of airlines you should investigate. While business class is fairly expensive, Economy Delight class gives a pretty good price/earnings ratio - flights to JNB or HKG from JFK in Economy Delight will earn you around $4700 MQDs and cost around $1100.

You may also consider China Eastern (once they start flying regularly to the US again.) Flights from JFK to places like SIN, MLE, CMB, SYD, AKL are usually priced reasonably and are interesting places to visit.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 1:40 pm

Programs: Delta
Segment run from TYS

Need 2 segments on Delta to get to gold and I believe I need to do these by the end of the year. Travel on 12.30 and/or 12.31. Any suggestions on how to find the cheapest one day round trip ticket on Delta?
Old Dec 23, 2021, 3:15 pm

Thanks for the advice. I am still getting used to ITA Matrix. I have friends in HKG and SIN so it is definitely time for a visit. I haven't flown VA yet so that will be something to try next year.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by David Canges
Need 2 segments on Delta to get to gold and I believe I need to do these by the end of the year. Travel on 12.30 and/or 12.31. Any suggestions on how to find the cheapest one day round trip ticket on Delta?
Yes, you must earn the segments by the end of the year as they will reset to zero on 1/1. You can use Google Flights in "map" view by setting the destination to "United States" to find cheapest flights. The cheapest option from TYS looks like a roundtrip to STL on 12/31 for $353. You can also do TYS-CLE for $359 roundtrip for 12/30 - 12/31 trip with an overnight at CLE (this would be somewhat safer than trying to fit in all travel the last day of year with all the DL cancellations). There look to be a number cheap hotel options near CLE. If you drive to ATL, you can do ATL-LGA roundtrip for $257 on 12/30 or ATL-FLL for $192 on 12/31.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 24, 2021 at 9:10 am
Old Dec 25, 2021, 8:11 am

Departure Airport: Any NYC
Miles Needed: 5,203 MQM
Required Spend or Budget: $500 - $1,000
Available Travel Dates: 12/29/21 - 12/31/21
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Yes
Thanks for your help!
Old Dec 25, 2021, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by kjc001
Departure Airport: Any NYC
Miles Needed: 5,203 MQM
Required Spend or Budget: $500 - $1,000
Available Travel Dates: 12/29/21 - 12/31/21
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Yes
Thanks for your help!
Las Vegas and further west should do it.

e.g Dec. 29, JFK-LAX, $531 (MC), 7426 MQMs, a little over an hour in LAX, get back to NYC in the early evening

e.g. Dec. 29, JFK-SLC, $489 (MC), 5499 MQMs, a little over an hour in SLC, get back to NYC around 8:30pm

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Dec 25, 2021 at 12:08 pm Reason: add SLC option
Old Dec 26, 2021, 5:38 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist | IHG Platinum | HH Gold | MB Gold
I recently received DL PM status challenge. Need to make 18,750 MQM and $2,250 in 3 months to keep the status. New to this and still figuring the calculation of MQMs and MQDs and with the current acceleration promo.
* I flew in Y from SFO - JFK - DL Marketed / LA operated - SCL - PUQ. I paid $709 in cash. So far it shows like this, the remaining part of the trip is yet to be posted.
* I have a return from SCL.- MIA - DTW - IAD. I paid $313 in cash. I have a separate booking from IAD - SFO. Paid using a eCredit for $170. I want to optimize/reschedule these two tickets to travel from SCL - SFO with max MQM / MQD possible.
* Open dates between Jan 8 - Jan 22 with any amount of stops any where.

Any suggestions or tips?

Last edited by pichalite; Dec 26, 2021 at 5:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.