Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Maestro Ramen
FARE RULES:
I pulled down the DL fare rules (these are BUD-SEA but they all appeared nearly identical). I posted them on a share. We can easily grab the AF and KL variants if others need those.

Q: This is a fully flexible fare with free changes. Does that mean I can change the flight dates as I want without paying anything extra?
A: No. The airline simply doesn't charge a change fee. But depending on the fare rules, you will still need to pay the difference to the new price.

Q: But I read that some people could change their flights for free...?
A: The rules for this fare (linked to above) specify that historical pricing shall be used if either at least one flight from the ticket has been taken or the outbound remains the same. In other words, in order to be able to change your flights for free, you must have flown at least one flight from your booking. Otherwise, you can only change the inbound. The outbound has to remain the same or you will be charged the fare difference.

Q: Can I change the rest of the itinerary after flying the first segment without any other charges or additional fare differences?
A: Yes this is possible according to the fare rules where after completing the first segment, you can change the rest of the flights for free (with the condition that the same fare class is available- I-class - in this case. According to the fare rules, after flying the FIRST segment (in the case here BUD-XXX) the historical fare is used. Possible to use the first stopover at AMS or CDG (see post #830).

Q: But some people could change their outbound flights for free!
A: They got lucky. It was probably a bug on the website/in the app. When no flight from the ticket has been flown, the fare rules do not allow changing the outbound without repricing.

Q: Ok, ok, so I can only change the inbound for free. How do I do that?
A: You search for availability for alternative flights on ITA Matrix using "F ..I2FFHU" in the extension codes. You must search for round trip flights as this is a round trip fare. Then you ignore the outbound result (as long as you haven't flown at least one flight from your ticket) and just try to rebook your inbound on the website/app.

Q: I have found availability on ITA Matrix, but the app/website doesn't show me those flights!
A: Keep trying. Sometimes you may have to serach in a different way (split up the searches, e.g. HNL-LAX and LAX-BUD), sometimes you just have to repeat the search several times. But that's no guarantee the desired results will turn up (and without repricing).

Q: It doesn't work. Can I just call the airline to make the changes?
A: Please don't unless you need to. Calling can increase the risk for all of us that they'll change their mind and disallow all further changes, or simply cancel everyone's tickets. However, as this fare has now been running for months and has seen many calls made about it, it is reasonable to expect that calling will not cause issues at this stage. As best practice, avoid attracting attention on the low price paid, and avoid making additional demands or tempting your luck. Remember you get to fly a J ticket for the cost of a Y fare.

Q: How many times can I make changes?
A: In theory, as often as you like, but you can't make more than two changes online/in the app. After that, you'd have to call, which we are trying to avoid.

Q: I've changed my mind. Can I get a refund?
A: Yes, the fare was fully refundable. Just contact the airline or fill out a refund form online.

Q: Due to Coronavirus, I need to extend my travel plan beyond the original expiry date. What can I do?
A: For Delta tickets (starting with 006) you can travel at any point until December 2022. Changes to flights within a 10 month window can be done at any point on the app, following the rules above. If you want to fly later than 10 months from now, you can call Delta and ask them to "park" your ticket. You will receive a ticket number that ties to an eCredit which can be used later to buy tickets. As long as you keep the original itinerary, or if you have flown at least a segment, you will not be charged a fare difference. Bear in mind that the eCredit may only be refundable if your original flight was cancelled (which is very likely in those day and times). Note that only Delta in the US are able to do this so do not call the EU numbers (use Skype to save money on international calls). According to user feedback: iMessage agents seem to also be able to do this, but twitter agents not.
Print Wikipost

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2020, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by 747jetter
What is not possible? We changed it to Prague explaining them about 300-miles-radius, border closer in Hungary and my girlfriend who's on the reservation unable getting visa at the moment to enter Hungary but would be fine for her to get to Prague as I am Czech...to summarise it, total ........ but hey we fly out of Prague now. No need of Flixbus from Czech to Hungary now.
...and you have tickets on AF/KLM stock ?
Old Nov 2, 2020, 1:44 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by the_new_one
...and you have tickets on AF/KLM stock ?
True, no, I am flying blue miles collector.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 7:48 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi all,

Just a question - how did you manage to get the agent to extend the ticket validity (based on purchase date)? This morning I called again - however, this time I was informed since my ticket was purchased in March, I could only push out as far as ticket validity date (1 year).
I insisted that it could be further, but the agent checked (seems like the Philippines call centre again) - but she came back quoting that it needs to be within the date validity, however she did propose why not just fly the first segment - BUD-AMS - and change the rest to later. What she did was she left the BUD-AMS leg as is - and the rest she moved it out to Feb. I was hoping she would say i'll send it for ticketing, but sadly the "evil" phrase came out - I need to send this to the back office as it will not reprice.

Now waiting for a response - I'll see what comes out of it.

Cheers!
Old Nov 2, 2020, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi all,

Just a question - how did you manage to get the agent to extend the ticket validity (based on purchase date)? This morning I called again - however, this time I was informed since my ticket was purchased in March, I could only push out as far as ticket validity date (1 year).
I insisted that it could be further, but the agent checked (seems like the Philippines call centre again) - but she came back quoting that it needs to be within the date validity, however she did propose why not just fly the first segment - BUD-AMS - and change the rest to later. What she did was she left the BUD-AMS leg as is - and the rest she moved it out to Feb. I was hoping she would say i'll send it for ticketing, but sadly the "evil" phrase came out - I need to send this to the back office as it will not reprice.

Now waiting for a response - I'll see what comes out of it.

Cheers!
when I had to rebook in August due to a cancellation, I just had to fly one segment before Nov 30th and I was able to have other segments 1 year after the purchase date.

Another question:
What are the current rules with DL? (I saw the V6 Bulletin)
Wasn't there a rule for a one time voluntary change?
Old Nov 3, 2020, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by Sciamano
My booking disappeared from DL website and on AF/KL my future flights have been strickenthrough!
My original first leg was 26th Sep. but AF cancelled it so I called DL to rebook and new ticket was issued with new dates but on AF the old one first leg still appeared there. It seems like for AF it's a no show and DL to cancelled the whole ticket.
What do you think?
Here we go again
My first leg on 22nd Nov got cancelled by AF but I got no notification from DL. Noticed was shifted to 23rd but on AF website it was moved again to 24th.
Yesterday I received an email from DL tha my ticket has been cancelled not due to those flights but rather for my TATL on 26th Dec!
I previously had in mind to call DL around mid November to push everything to September 2021 and after first leg to move (maybe) the main to August 2022 (damned 331 days availabiilty!).
Do you think it's better to call DL asap (on email it's written ecredit has already been processed, same as the email I recevied last time) or is it safe to wait next week for the above mentioned reason?
Old Nov 4, 2020, 10:04 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Here's a data point for those with a 074 stock: I have this itinerary around end of year to LAX, via AMS outbound and via CDG inbound. Had a long chat with the KLM platinum service line to see if it could be moved to a date after summer next year, but they said it could not be moved to more than 30 days in the future without repricing, even with I class availability.

Moving to 006 stock is not something that seems possible without any DL flights in there...
Not sure what I'll do, but open to any strategic tips!
Old Nov 4, 2020, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by r0gerthat
Here's a data point for those with a 074 stock: I have this itinerary around end of year to LAX, via AMS outbound and via CDG inbound. Had a long chat with the KLM platinum service line to see if it could be moved to a date after summer next year, but they said it could not be moved to more than 30 days in the future without repricing, even with I class availability.

Moving to 006 stock is not something that seems possible without any DL flights in there...
Not sure what I'll do, but open to any strategic tips!
are there any cancellations in your itinerary?
if yes, leave it cancelled and wait

I do the same currently as I dont know if i can fly in February.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 12:32 am

Hi all,

I had an email discussion with a KLM reservation agent after sending them a screenshot of the same class to class rebooking situation in event of cancellation on their side, and I was given the following response. I do not know how true this is - but they are sticking to their +/- 30 days rule for no fare difference calculation in event of cancellation. I have asked them to leave it as is...

" Please be informed that the screenshot you have provided below is also not applicable on your booking as it is a rebook policy for bookings made through a travel agency and our rebook policy is subject to change. "

No comments on the above...

Cheers!
Old Nov 5, 2020, 1:42 am

If this was a regular fare, and I had the same experience as a number of you guys did with KL in this thread where they refused to book against the published policy, I'd probably email Pieter Elbers and ask how this position aligns with his directive of conserving cash in the business, since any involuntary changes make you eligible for a cash refund. With a "flash sale", though...
nldogbert likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
If this was a regular fare, and I had the same experience as a number of you guys did with KL in this thread where they refused to book against the published policy, I'd probably email Pieter Elbers and ask how this position aligns with his directive of conserving cash in the business, since any involuntary changes make you eligible for a cash refund. With a "flash sale", though...
I had the same thought as you. Not only Pieter, but also to Ben Smits - as AF is also as difficult.. furthermore, now that both FR and NL govt, has indicated to not travel for non-essential reasons outside of each respective countries, just only waiving the change fees is just not acceptable. (my comments are just based on what I know for NL current policies). In NL, the govt has said that they should not travel outside the borders until mid Jan2020.

Cheers!
Old Nov 5, 2020, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Sciamano
Here we go again
My first leg on 22nd Nov got cancelled by AF but I got no notification from DL. Noticed was shifted to 23rd but on AF website it was moved again to 24th.
Yesterday I received an email from DL tha my ticket has been cancelled not due to those flights but rather for my TATL on 26th Dec!
I previously had in mind to call DL around mid November to push everything to September 2021 and after first leg to move (maybe) the main to August 2022 (damned 331 days availabiilty!).
Do you think it's better to call DL asap (on email it's written ecredit has already been processed, same as the email I recevied last time) or is it safe to wait next week for the above mentioned reason?
​​​​​​
Ant suggestion?
Old Nov 5, 2020, 2:00 pm
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Originally Posted by 747jetter
What is not possible? We changed it to Prague explaining them about 300-miles-radius, border closer in Hungary and my girlfriend who's on the reservation unable getting visa at the moment to enter Hungary but would be fine for her to get to Prague as I am Czech...to summarise it, total ........ but hey we fly out of Prague now. No need of Flixbus from Czech to Hungary now.
Was this on a 006 or 074 ticket ? I tried to change a KL [074] ticket to two weeks earlier (13 days to be exact) and simultaneously change the tcicket to BEG, however they said the 300-mile rule applies "within the same country" only, so I could only change to another airport in Hungary. Did you use any specific wording ?
Old Nov 5, 2020, 2:50 pm

Programs: flyingblue
Hi guys

i had 2 reservations with this great price

one with AF,
BUD AMS SEA SFO CDG AMS BUD
in September modified for june 2021 by AF messenger with I class reservation ; its booked.

one with DL,
BUD AMS CDG (october) / CDG JFK (december) / DCA DTW LAS / LAX CDG / CDG AMS BUD (january)
Flights BUD AMS CDG in october are modified by VIE because the hungarians borders are close
it was difficult to change but i explained the borders... by iMessage with Delta

For all of my flights of, i see a schedule modification and LAX CDG is cancelled (by AF).

Now i contact Delta by iMessage to change the rest of my reservation.
It was really difficult. I flew the first segment by VIE.
I would like to change my flights in september 2021. I used ITA to see flights with DL I class booking.
I spoke during 2 hours (!!!) with a representative and then a Ticketing Support representative.
She said : i can change without repricing only before 31 March 2021, because the fare will not work after 31Mar2021...
"Changing by a day or two is possible because your flight is cancelled.. you are trying to change by 10 months.."
The repricing is not a good thing.

I'm really surprised that I couldn't change to september...

Do you know how can i do it ?
A refund is possible but i lost my great price...
Old Nov 5, 2020, 3:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
HUCA. Don't waste your time. Just try again and again and mention the "COVID-19 rebooking waiver" and "class-to-class rebooking without fare difference".
Old Nov 6, 2020, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by BA Humbug
Was this on a 006 or 074 ticket ? I tried to change a KL [074] ticket to two weeks earlier (13 days to be exact) and simultaneously change the tcicket to BEG, however they said the 300-mile rule applies "within the same country" only, so I could only change to another airport in Hungary. Did you use any specific wording ?
You should HUCA. I just flew my 2nd of these original BUD origin ticket yesterday. I previously had success a couple months ago changing departure to BEG. And last week I called in to change my BUD origin to ZAG on my second of these 074 tickets and they changed it with no problems. All I said was that w/Hungary not allowing Americans in, could you update my origin to be either out of ZAG or BEG. They checked their system for availability and I got it changed with no issues.

On a side note, my flight from AMS - US yesterday had 23 total passengers in a 294 seat plane which was wild.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.