Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AS: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay:

Qualification requirements

Three ways to qualify for each level: miles on Alaska only (includes Alaska flights operated by Horizon or Skywest), combination of miles on Alaska or partners (no minimum on Alaska, can be 100% partners), or combination of segments on Alaska or partners (no minimum on Alaska, can be 100% partners).

MVP: 20,000 miles on Alaska/25,000 miles on any combination of Alaska and partners/30 segments on any combination of Alaska and partners

MVP Gold: 40,000 miles on Alaska/50,000 miles on any combination of Alaska and partners/60 segments on any combination of Alaska and partners

75K: 75,000 miles on Alaska/90,000 miles on any combination of Alaska and partners/90 segments on any combination of Alaska and partners
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:51 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond

In order to organize the end-of-year crush of Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread for the airlines with the most frequent requests. This is the thread for Alaska Airlines.

For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay:

For each response. Please quote the original request.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:40 pm
formerly Guanran Wang

Programs: Alaska, BAEC, Asiana, Aegean, Enrich, Marriott/SPG, Hilton
With all the CX F and J fares in New Years, I think most can easily qualify for AS this year.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: Alaska
First Mileage Run

Looking to take advantage of a fast-track offer from AS for Microsoft (5k/10k miles by 3/31 for MVP/MVP Gold). I currently have a little over 4k miles from the return leg of a trip to the Big Island.

Departure Airport: SEA
Miles Needed: 6k
Required Spend or Budget: $500
Available Travel Dates: Weekends in Jan/Feb/Mar
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AS only

So far I've found this itinerary for $404: SEA -> JFK -> SFO -> LAX -> SEA

The SEA -> JFK leg is overnight, and the entire itinerary is just shy of 24 hours. I have lounge access, so can use them in JFK and LAX. I lost my MVP Gold status at the end of 2018, so no bonus miles for me. Trying to convince myself that this hellish day is worth the four first class upgrades that come with MVP Gold, and the mileage bonuses.

Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:31 am

A less grueling alternative would be to take a 12 hour round trip to RDU to get to within around 1500 miles of goal, then take an easy trip down the coast to get the rest.
The SEA-RDU flight is 171 in basic economy, and 231 in economy. Then after you're rested up, you can do the coast run for under 150 and about 8 hours.

BTW, does the challenge give you MVP after the 5k even if you're going for MVP Gold? If so, that would be another argument for doing it in two stages. You'd flly the second segment as an MVP, the only advantage for your mileage runs would be the 50% bonus.

If you do get MVP after 5K, then schedule the short mileage run first, then a couple weeks later schedule the SEA - RDU trip. That way you'd get an extra 50% miles on the long trip.

Last edited by just_jim; Jan 10, 2019 at 10:01 am
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by dunadan
Looking to take advantage of a fast-track offer from AS for Microsoft (5k/10k miles by 3/31 for MVP/MVP Gold). I currently have a little over 4k miles from the return leg of a trip to the Big Island.

Trying to convince myself that this hellish day is worth the four first class upgrades that come with MVP Gold, and the mileage bonuses.

Thanks!
Don't try to convince yourself. Look at what trips you'll be doing during your MVP gold status, then balance the advantages with the disadventages.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:00 am
formerly Guanran Wang

Programs: Alaska, BAEC, Asiana, Aegean, Enrich, Marriott/SPG, Hilton

So far I've found this itinerary for $404: SEA -> JFK -> SFO -> LAX -> SEA

The SEA -> JFK leg is overnight, and the entire itinerary is just shy of 24 hours. I have lounge access, so can use them in JFK and LAX. I lost my MVP Gold status at the end of 2018, so no bonus miles for me. Trying to convince myself that this hellish day is worth the four first class upgrades that come with MVP Gold, and the mileage bonuses.

Thanks!
See AS offer from paine field. lots of cheap fares to easily meet your 6K miles. You can even do 6RT to PDX (500min miles)
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:41 pm

Yes, I get MVP after 5k, regardless of whether I hit MVP Gold. So that makes a good argument for taking a shortly flight down the coast to get to 5k, and then a longer run to complete the 10k for MVP Gold, plus the mileage bonus.

I still need to find out of the leg I completed after the 1st but before I signed up for the promotion will count--that will determine if I make a run at the status at all.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:51 pm

I pulled the trigger on a couple of flights to get me to MVP Gold: SEA to RDU on 2/10, and then a long weekend away with the wife in early March PAE to LAX. Bonus: Alaska is offering double miles for flights out of PAE through the end of March, plus the MVP bonus since I'll be over 5k after the RDU trip.

By the end of March I'll have well over 10k, enough for Gold through the end of 2020. We've already got flights booked to Chicago over spring break, and are planning a trip to Europe this summer. Our winter break trip has been to Hawaii recently, and April 2020 we're thinking about an east coast trip, plus summer and Christmas break in 2020. Lots of opportunities to use the first class upgrades and earn the bonus miles.

Anybody have tips for the actual flight part of a mileage run? The RDU round-trip *appears* to be on the same plane, since the return flight leaves a little over an hour after it is scheduled to land. Do the flight attendants give you any extra attention? I'm planning to bring a laptop, headphones, and a book or two.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: AS 75K, Hilton Diamond
I pulled the trigger on a couple of flights to get me to MVP Gold: SEA to RDU on 2/10, and then a long weekend away with the wife in early March PAE to LAX. Bonus: Alaska is offering double miles for flights out of PAE through the end of March, plus the MVP bonus since I'll be over 5k after the RDU trip.

By the end of March I'll have well over 10k, enough for Gold through the end of 2020. We've already got flights booked to Chicago over spring break, and are planning a trip to Europe this summer. Our winter break trip has been to Hawaii recently, and April 2020 we're thinking about an east coast trip, plus summer and Christmas break in 2020. Lots of opportunities to use the first class upgrades and earn the bonus miles.

Anybody have tips for the actual flight part of a mileage run? The RDU round-trip *appears* to be on the same plane, since the return flight leaves a little over an hour after it is scheduled to land. Do the flight attendants give you any extra attention? I'm planning to bring a laptop, headphones, and a book or two.
I've done a few transcon round-trip mileage runs with a ~30min turnaround, and have never encountered flight attendants that were aware of passengers that would reboard the plane.

Each time, there have been crew swaps. Bring a blanket =)
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I pulled the trigger on a couple of flights to get me to MVP Gold: SEA to RDU on 2/10, and then a long weekend away with the wife in early March PAE to LAX. Bonus: Alaska is offering double miles for flights out of PAE through the end of March, plus the MVP bonus since I'll be over 5k after the RDU trip.....
I’m sure you probably know this but you realize that the double miles from the PAE promo don’t count towards elite status, right? They are RDMs but they don’t count towards your 40k/50k Gold total.

As I said, you probably know that but just in case.

Terms and conditions:
Limited time offer: Double Miles for Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ members who fly a qualifying nonstop flight between February 11, 2019 and March 31, 2019 between Everett (PAE) and any of the following airports:
<snip>
Double Miles do not count towards Mileage Plan™ Elite Status.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:14 am

Yeah, I know that only base counts towards EQM, just happy to get a bonus on the miles that I wasn't aware of when I booked the tickets. I will hit the 10k threshold for accelerated MVP Gold status just on the base miles for my two trips (starting with 4038 + 954x2 + 2354x2).
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat

Unless you're having a lengthy conversation with one they probably won't even notice. They've been looking at 150 faces or so for the last several hours.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: AS Peon
I'm at MS and considering doing a MR for MVPG as well, even considering the same SEA-RDU flight! Haven't decided if its right for me though...

Edit: After checking my distances again (doing SEA-SAN-SEA x1 and SEA-FAT-SEA x2 organically), I'd actually have to go to BOS instead of RDU. Looks like I'll miss you after all!

Just a note, I believe this status is a promotional status of sorts, and only lasts until the end of 2019. Obviously if you would get MVPG anyway then it will last through 2020. I almost certainly wouldn't make Gold otherwise, so my MVPG will only last until the end of this year, making the decision a bit harder.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:57 am

Looking to take advantage of a fast-track offer from AS for Microsoft (5k/10k miles by 3/31 for MVP/MVP Gold).
I’m a Microsoft employee trying to find documentation on this deal. I searched around and only came up with an expired Amzn deal for AS. I’m currently MVPG, though, and read later in the thread that maybe this deal only gives MVPG through end in 2019?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Dingfod

I’m a Microsoft employee trying to find documentation on this deal. I searched around and only came up with an expired Amzn deal for AS. I’m currently MVPG, though, and read later in the thread that maybe this deal only gives MVPG through end in 2019?
Correct, this deal only gives you status until the end of the current calendar year, so if you already have MVPG status, there is no point to sign up. I would post a link to the offer, but apparently I need to make more posts on FlyerTalk before they will allow me to put a link in my replies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.