Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AS: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay:

Qualification requirements

Three ways to qualify for each level: miles on Alaska only (includes Alaska flights operated by Horizon or Skywest), combination of miles on Alaska or partners (no minimum on Alaska, can be 100% partners), or combination of segments on Alaska or partners (no minimum on Alaska, can be 100% partners).

MVP: 20,000 miles on Alaska/25,000 miles on any combination of Alaska and partners/30 segments on any combination of Alaska and partners

MVP Gold: 40,000 miles on Alaska/50,000 miles on any combination of Alaska and partners/60 segments on any combination of Alaska and partners

75K: 75,000 miles on Alaska/90,000 miles on any combination of Alaska and partners/90 segments on any combination of Alaska and partners
Print Wikipost

AS: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Marriotts Titanium, OWE, UA Silver
Sorry, the above is in reference to this post.

I would like to add mileage runs to two of the three remaining trips I have planned this year to achieve AS MVP Gold 75K. I want to utilize two companion passes I have and the Coast2Coast Double miles bonus. I noticed you can book FLL - New York, NY (All Airports) for a total of a minimum of 8 segments by changing two of the New York, NW (ALL Airports) requests to JFK/EWR. By doing this you can do pretty good on a maximum itinerary flying from FLL - JFK/EWR, JFK/EWR - FLL, FLL - JFK/EWR, JFK/EWR - FLL or Vise Versa JFK/EWR - FLL, FLL-JFK/EWR, JFK/EWR - FLL, FLL - JFK/EWR all via LAX. With a companion pass, the price can be found for less than $1,200 or $600 per person, not bad if you already have MVP Gold, which I do, that type of itinerary would yield RDM for less than $.01 per mile and over 20,000 elite miles.

So I am planning on flying a version of this since I am adding to an existing flight I am already planning on doing. Below is my anticipated itinerary:

PDX-SEA-DEN
DEN-SEA-LAX-JFK
JFK-LAX-FLL
FLL-LAX-JFK

15,574 Elite Miles
15,574 RDM Miles
15,574 Elite Bonus Miles (Gold)
12,078 Coast2Coast Double Miles

43,226 Total RDM per person
$1,185.62 total cost for both tickets
$.0137 cost per mile

Am I seeing and figuring this correct?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by TJ7Flyer
I finished this mileage run and it worked out quite well. My wife and I collected the late baggage points in DEN from SEA, easy 5,000 extra points. Total RDM 48,226, Elite Miles 15,574 each.

Not showing in our itinerary was the JFK-LAX-PDX, I took a bump going back to PDX from LAX so added another $350 to my wallet and 5,000 RDM to the wife's account.

One more mileage run taking advantage of the Coast2Coast bonus will get us in striking range for 75K after a trip to Hawaii just before Christmas. The following is my next pure mileage run:

PDX-LAX-JFK-LAX-FLL-LAX-JFK-LAX-PDX

Anticipated mileage earnings:
16,214 Elite Miles
16,214 RDM Miles (regular)
16,214 Elite Bonus Miles (Gold MVP)
14,546 Coast2Coast Double Miles

46,974 Total RDM per person
$1,167.02 total cost for two tickets (companion fare)
$0.0124 cost per mile
Why not just do a single Hainan business class run? Takes less time, is more comfortable, and a little more exciting.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by 30k
Why not just do a single Hainan business class run? Takes less time, is more comfortable, and a little more exciting.
i assume because that would make the requirement 90k vs 75k
Old Nov 7, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Marriotts Titanium, OWE, UA Silver
Did one already in March to Xian to view the terracotta army.

My miles have to be on AS metal to hit the 75k or I will have to do another 15k for the 90k partner mileage.

In addition, this mileage run is way cheaper as we are using the companion ticket, Coast2Coast bonus, With elite bonus it comes to 300% RDM.
arcticflier and williwaw like this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
Departure Airport: DEN or any West Coast
Miles Needed: 26,000 to keep MVP-G
Required or Budget: Just looking for best prices to be found.
Available Travel Dates: Now thru 12/31
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Codeshare Good.

Interested in stopping in BKK.

Someone posted that QF has 100% mile accrual on AS so would be interested in QF as well as other Codeshare.

Any suggestions appreciated. Its getting too dark up here in FBX.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 10:14 pm

Departure Airport: SEA
Miles Needed: 10,600 to reach MVP Gold 75K
Required Spend or Budget: looking for the best deal
Available Travel Dates: thru 12/31 (not including 11/30-12/8 or 12/24-12/27)
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: either is fine

thank you!

The best deal I've seen so far is a SEA-JFK turnaround for $291 in main and SEA-BOS turnaround for $337 in main. This puts me in at $628. Both flights are red eyes on the way there and short layover / early morning on the way back.

Is that my best option? Is it worth it to get to 75K?

I understand I would be short a few hundred after this but I will have another work trip to close the gap.

Last edited by drfunk; Nov 10, 2019 at 12:25 am
Old Nov 10, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
I did the SEA-BOS turn once. It was kind of funny getting off the plane in Boston and using the restroom and brushing my teeth and then getting right back on the same plane. BTW, if it's the same aircraft going back you have no chance of missing your flight which is kind of huge on a mileage run.

I was 75k for all of 2018. You can always book yourself into Premium class no matter what the fare and upgrades are almost always. I guess a lot depends on how much flying you'll do the following year. I flew enough in 2018 as a 75k to reach MVP Gold. That's a lot of mileage bonus and I was able to give my spouse MVP status.
drfunk likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
I am looking at alternatives to earn lots of RDM (and status) next year now that we have lost Qantas 100% earnings. So far I have come up with the following alternatives:

1) Fiji Airways still have some reasonable 100% fares out of New Zealand to the USA and Hawaii but rarely out of Australia anymore.
2) JAL has some pretty good sub $1,000 PE fares from West Coast USA to MNL, KUL and CGK.
3). Book Qantas flights between LAX / SFO and MEL / SYD on AS website but fares still around $1,100 USD range. (Earns 100%)
4). Condor PE fares within Europe can be good value.

I travel monthly between USA and Australia so this Qantas change will really hurt me. That said, I love the MP programme and therefore I do not mind changing my flight patterns. I consider any fare under 2.6 cpm for a MVP75K a good deal for any Trans Pacific ticket (USA to Asia / Australia) since I have to fly anyway.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: Alaska
11,096 to MVP Gold

Miles Needed: 11,096
Required or Budget: cheap
Available Travel Dates: weekends between now and end of year, but I'm also open to mid week
Required Metal or Codeshares okay:sure
Old Nov 11, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by NOSaturn.flyertalk
Miles Needed: 11,096
Required or Budget: cheap
Available Travel Dates: weekends between now and end of year, but I'm also open to mid week
Required Metal or Codeshares okay:sure
then again, i'd be open to fly out of SFO to use the double miles promo - i know the extra miles don't count towards status, but double miles be double miles. i'd just have to fly down to SFO. not like I haven't flown in/out of there 40 times in the past two years.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by drfunk
Miles Needed: 10,600 to reach MVP Gold 75K
Required Spend or Budget: looking for the best deal
Available Travel Dates: thru 12/31 (not including 11/30-12/8 or 12/24-12/27)
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: either is fine

thank you!

The best deal I've seen so far is a SEA-JFK turnaround for $291 in main and SEA-BOS turnaround for $337 in main. This puts me in at $628. Both flights are red eyes on the way there and short layover / early morning on the way back.

Is that my best option? Is it worth it to get to 75K?

I understand I would be short a few hundred after this but I will have another work trip to close the gap.
Fyi, SEA-BOS is not the same plane as BOS-SEA. You run the risk of missing your flight if your inbound flt is delayed. This happened to me...
tobikosan likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Hello,

I will be weighing using cash or miles for 2 premium, business, or F tickets. Because it is an option for us to pay cash and gaining early 2020 AS miles, I'd like to ask here please for suggestions of value travels.

I'll ask elsewhere regarding the best use of miles for a 2-4 week vacation in Jan-Mar 2020.

What is most appealing is travel value in Business or First. Destinations are open but Japan, New Zealand, and Africa photo safari are interesting. We usually like to stay in one area for a few days instead of barnstorming. So 5 days in Japan and 10 days in New Zealand then onward is the type of trip we like. Not interested in South America for this vacation.

Departure Airport: SFO/LAX/PHL
Miles Needed: none
Required Spend or Budget: budget less is best but no more than $3,000/person X 2 people
Available Travel Dates: Jan-Mar
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: none

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 6:38 pm

Any good mileage runs you're finding with the BOGO offer Alaska has today?
Old Nov 18, 2019, 6:40 pm
k-y

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by buzglyd
I did the SEA-BOS turn once. It was kind of funny getting off the plane in Boston and using the restroom and brushing my teeth and then getting right back on the same plane. BTW, if it's the same aircraft going back you have no chance of missing your flight which is kind of huge on a mileage run.

I was 75k for all of 2018. You can always book yourself into Premium class no matter what the fare and upgrades are almost always. I guess a lot depends on how much flying you'll do the following year. I flew enough in 2018 as a 75k to reach MVP Gold. That's a lot of mileage bonus and I was able to give my spouse MVP status.
I'm considering doing this run in the middle of December ... leaves Tue night and returns Wed morning. <$200ai for the Saver fare, ~$260ai for Main cabin.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton: Gold, Starwood: Platinum, Hyatt: Platinum, AS: MVP Gold
Need 15k for MVP 75

Departure Airport: SFO/OAK/SJC
Miles Needed: 15K
Required Spend or Budget: Ideally <$3k, Could do 5k
Available Travel Dates: > Dec 15
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Partner

Prefer business as that is a lot of travel. Ideally booked in one long haul.

Silly me, I booked a 25k MR SFO-LHR-JNB. Forgot that I needed 90 with partners.

Thanks!
samosa likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.