Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary
Print Wikipost

DL/Sky Team: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2019, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by agni13
Thank you! great idea.

Any ideas on good business class routings ? Would almost pay a little more to just knock it out in one shot if possible in business
You will need to fly somewhere at least 17,500 miles away from New York to earn $7000 MQD in business class (if the fare earns 40% MQD) and also get the needed 25,000 MQMs (business fares usually earn 150% MQMs.) Singapore on China Eastern in Business is $3200 (but maybe cheaper on non weekend routings.) The Virgin Atlantic JFK-JNB flight is over $7000

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Oct 15, 2019 at 5:09 am
Old Oct 15, 2019, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Smorgasbord42
Departure Airport: SJC or SFO
Miles Needed: 10,900 MQMs
Required Spend or Budget: As cheap as possible, of course
Available Travel Dates: Before year end. Both weekends & weekdays will work. Out and back or destinations with Intercontinental Hotels preferred.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: N/A

Thanks for AMEX card spend, I have the opportunity to quality for Platinum if I can get an additional 11K MQMs. Already have travel booked Oct 30-31 and Nov 4-8, which is what will get me that close. BTW, I could upgrade to Comfort+ on the Nov flights for $99 to get the 50% MQMs (about 1K) each way, for to First Class for $249 to get 2K MQM bonus each way, if that makes sense. That would be $200 for 2K MQMs or $500 for 4K MQMs (plus my flights would be more comfortable).

Thanks!
You could take a trip to Asia on China Eastern. Flights to place like Bangkok, Taipei (with immediate turn around) are between $500 - $700 depending on the date and routing.

Virgin Atlantic to JNB is $788 (economy classic) for various departures in November.

If you want to fly to South America, 11,000 MQMs - SCL or EZE would work.

Europe would be AMS and further out (e.g. PRG, BUD, etc.)
Old Oct 15, 2019, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Hossy
Hey folks- looking for the mileage run sages here to help me keep Diamond status for next year, as I took a generous paternity leave in 2019 to stay grounded for a whole quarter during my busy season. Hoping to benefit from current Diamond status for MQM booking bonuses perhaps and a flexible schedule. TIA.

Departure Airport: ATL
Miles Needed: 50k MQMs
Required Spend or Budget: Budget is ~3k to make it fun or comfortable, no required spend for MQD.
Available Travel Dates: Anytime before end of year - very flexible, just not over Thanksgiving or Xmas. Weekdays or weekends all good.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Yes (DL)
You could take a repositioning flight to LAX and then do two MR to JNB on Virgin Atlantic in Economy Delight earning a little over 27,000 MQMs each run. Weekend departure in Economy Delight class in November are available for $1028 ($1008 from SFO.)

For a little less money, take a repositioning flight to JFK and then do two MR to SIN on China Eastern earning about 21,000 MQMs each run. JFK-SIN tickets are available in the $500 - $700 range for November travel. Then pick up the remaining 8000 MQMs with a trip to Hawaii.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: IHG, Delta
Thanks @canuck_traveler!

Edited: I had some questions about bonus MQMs on seat upgrades, and have since found out that upgrades to First Class can give a bonus (upgrades to Comfort + do not), and that the update for First will typically result in a 50% MQM bonus.

Last edited by Smorgasbord42; Oct 15, 2019 at 1:20 pm Reason: Correcting wrong info I asked about
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Diamond, Delta Platinum
Departure Airport: LAX or close by, Tokyo, beginning of December
Miles Needed: 13611 for at least Silver. MQD waived
Required Spend or Budget: Low as possible, but I'll pay for J fares for less "air" time
Available Travel Dates: Available any time to fly
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Codeshares fine with me.

Good day, all. Here's my dilemma: I want to hit Platinum again and I see the flights from LAX-SIN, on MU. The price is nice, as well. I am 13611 miles away from Silver. We have 2.5 months left to go in the year. (I know, I know, waited too long.) What would be a good strategy here for maintaining status? Can I book 2 tickets on the same MU flight and get credited for both? (Probably not.) Fly the 3 trips from LA to Singapore? I live in Thailand and have seen Singapore so many times! I'm going to Tokyo at the end of November. Possible run from there the beginning of December? Any reasonable J fares to maintain status? I'm 6'5", 300lbs, and not trying to sit in a middle economy seat. I know the pros are in here and I appreciate any input you may have. Safe travels!
Old Oct 15, 2019, 10:00 am

Departure Airport: ATL
Miles Needed: 11k MQM
Required Spend or Budget: as low as possible, ~$500
Available Travel Dates: Nov 1-4, Nov 22-25, Dec 6-8, Dec 20-22
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Skyteam

Looking to do a MR to earn the last 11k MQMs needed to secure Platinum. Ideally this would be done one day but I am flexible. Okay with domestic and international.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: DL PM
Departure Airport: TPA is home airport. Easy drive to MCO or MIA. Open to positioning as well as needed.
Miles Needed: no MQM's needed, but more never hurt; need 4,500 MQD
Required Spend or Budget: As low as possible; don't have a cabin preference
Available Travel Dates: Available any time to fly

Good afternoon! I'm a Tampa based DL flier. I rely heavily on rollover and credit cards for MQM's. I'm projected to finish the year around 150k MQM's, but will be well short on MQD. The $250k AMEX spend waiver is not realistic for me. Given my efforts to minimize cash outflow, I think flying on a partner flight that earns MQD based on distance flown would be my best bet. The XXX-LHR-JNB on VS seems to be a common suggestion here. Out of JFK, I think that would be roughly 5,500 MQD.

Last edited by ATLpat; Oct 15, 2019 at 11:00 am
Old Oct 15, 2019, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
You could take a trip to Asia on China Eastern. Flights to place like Bangkok, Taipei (with immediate turn around) are between $500 - $700 depending on the date and routing.
Virgin Atlantic to JNB is $788 (economy classic) for various departures in November.
If you want to fly to South America, 11,000 MQMs - SCL or EZE would work.
Europe would be AMS and further out (e.g. PRG, BUD, etc.)
OK, an update: I upgraded to First on one my company-paid legs to boost my MQMs and get out of a bad seat, and so now I need only 9,222 MQMs in 2019 to make Platinum, if my calculations are correct. Therefore, my modified request is:

Miles Needed: 9,500 MQMs
Required Spend or Budget: as low as possible, but will pay a small premium for convenience/comfortable seats
Available Travel Dates: Anything except Nov 4-8, except Thanksgiving, except XMas

Last edited by Smorgasbord42; Oct 21, 2019 at 3:05 pm Reason: Correcting info
Old Oct 15, 2019, 12:24 pm

Thanks @canuck_traveler!

Is it worth the $99 to upgrade existing tickets (paid for by my company for company travel) to Comfort Plus? My understanding is that would get me a 50% MQM bonus, which would be just over 1,000 MQMs. I think it's a bit more expensive than booking appropriate separate travel, but it sure is the most convenient way to get MQMs.

Is there some formula or guideline for what to spend per MQM needed?
Hmmm, I wasn't aware of Delta giving MQM bonuses for Comfort Plus. Premium Select, yes but not Comfort Plus.

Anyone else?
Old Oct 15, 2019, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hmmm, I wasn't aware of Delta giving MQM bonuses for Comfort Plus. Premium Select, yes but not Comfort Plus.

Anyone else?
That's my understanding too, but I get C+ for free and have no reason to keep up with the rules on whether paying for a C+ seat means 150% MQMs.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 12:38 pm

OK, an update: I bought some Comfort+ upgrades on my company-paid flights to boost my MQMs, and so now I need only 7,300 MQMs in 2019 to make Platinum, if my calculations are correct. Therefore, my modified request is:

Miles Needed: 7300 MQMs
Required Spend or Budget: as low as possible, but will pay a small premium for convenience/comfortable seats
Available Travel Dates: Anything except Nov 4-8, except Thanksgiving, except XMas
Two flights out to JFK will do it. Some tickets in November (same day return) start at $221 (about 5000 MQM per trip)
Old Oct 15, 2019, 12:51 pm

Yeah, I was mistaken and have corrected my post. Your info above, is correct.
There are bonus MQMs for First, and via a post-purchase upgrade it appears typically you end up in Z class for a 50% bonus. So, not really worth it as a way to get MQMs unless you're so close that it'll put you over the edge and not have to take a separate MR.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles
hi. Looking to maintain Platinum status. I think my best bet is HNL for a little over 9000, but I am open to other suggestions!

Departure Airport: Cincinnati-CVG
Miles Needed: 10,000
Required Spend or Budget: 1000
Available Travel Dates: Any
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: yes
Old Oct 15, 2019, 1:17 pm

Yeah, I was mistaken and have corrected my post. Your info above, is correct.
There are bonus MQMs for First, and via a post-purchase upgrade it appears typically you end up in Z class for a 50% bonus. So, not really worth it as a way to get MQMs unless you're so close that it'll put you over the edge and not have to take a separate MR.
I think the two trips to JFK may be cheaper than a trip to Asia even if you have to take a 3rd short trip somewhere to pick up the remaining 1000 MQMs to reach the 11,000 MQMs desired. (You might also be able to get an indirect routing to JFK at that low price so you wouldn't need to take that 3rd trip.)
Old Oct 15, 2019, 1:52 pm

I think the two trips to JFK may be cheaper than a trip to Asia even if you have to take a 3rd short trip somewhere to pick up the remaining 1000 MQMs to reach the 11,000 MQMs desired. (You might also be able to get an indirect routing to JFK at that low price so you wouldn't need to take that 3rd trip.)
Yeah, last year I did a SJC <-> LAX MR for just over $100 RT yielding 1000 MQMs. Timed flights such that I got off the plane in LAX and got right in-line at the same gate to re-board to head home! AND, I was upgraded for free in both directions! That saved me hundreds over paying Delta directly to re-qualify for Gold, which I was obviously close on. This year I've had more work travel, and the CC spend means I don't need MQDs towards Platinum.

I'm also looking at additional work travel opportunities for this year. I could swing another SJC <-> MSP trip in mid November as legitimate company business. That's typically about 1576 MQMs each way, but if I fly through DTW it's about 2600 MQMs for same dollars (important since work is paying). I would fly direct to MSP (to be at work on time in Minn), and then fly home through DTW to gain the extra 1K miles. That still leaves me about 6K short for the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.