Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

2012 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA EXP, Starwood Gold
Has anyone used the Costco AA Giftcards (10% off) to pay off a tricked fare on AA.com?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, CO OnePass, UA
Originally Posted by Shadownite
Has anyone used the Costco AA Giftcards (10% off) to pay off a tricked fare on AA.com?
You tricked a fare on AA.com??

Otherwise I've paid for most of my LAX/ORD/SFO mileage run with the Costco certificates. Hell, I joined Costco to buy those certificates.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by ThunderStorm00

Otherwise I've paid for most of my LAX/ORD/SFO mileage run with the Costco certificates. Hell, I joined Costco to buy those certificates.
I suppose you can only trick a fare on online travel agencies but not airlines themselves, right?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by samwkchan
I suppose you can only trick a fare on online travel agencies but not airlines themselves, right?
No.
I have made the mistake of buying a tricked ticket from an Aagent.
I wanted to pay with the GCs, that's why.
Whatever you do, don't repeat my mistake.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 1:30 am

Programs: UA Mileage+
I joined this site in 2005 because I stumbled upon it while looking for cheap flights to China. This thread didn't even exist yet, and most of why I came to FT was to look for the good old fashioned "mistake fare", from back before airlines just refunded everyone. Then I went to China, then grad school, then got a job and set about paying off debt. I'd seen this thread start up, and I figured out the old stuff about visiting northern neighbors etc. It was fun to see the low fares that could be gotten, but I wasn't planning anything, so I didn't post anything, since I wasn't really looking for anything. Over time with no need or spare time to travel transcon I drifted away.

So I wasn't around for Dogpocalypse. Or Sherpocalypse. Or MPocalyspe. Or the other disasters. Imagine my surprise! I was only ever at a low level of tricks, and now even those don't work? Lucky for me, someone had just realized that there was an easier way to deal with this thread.

So I started reading this evening, and just finished. Yes, all of it. There are enough not-strictly-relevant posts that it's eminently possible to read the entire thread in half a dozen hours.

I definitely feel like the guy who moved out of California in 1847 and came back in 1856, after all the gold was gone. But no worries! As the place hasn't shut down yet, and I was actually able to figure out more than two of WWE's list of strikes, I think I'll stick around this time. At the least to see what kind of craziness comes out of 3/3, and hopefully to contribute something of value, once I figure out what actually works these days.

Seriously, you've no idea how over the top I reacted when I realized what the 13-miler is. Sheesh....
Old Mar 2, 2012, 7:30 am

any idea to dump the new QY on EK flights - will X3 work somehow?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, EBS GLD, A|Club PLT, CC Silver, HH GLD

Rules for booking fares on aa.com...
  • use giftcards (only one flight in the itnerary needs to be on AA to pay with GCs)
  • do not keep a credit card on file with aa.com
  • do not try to upgrade

Don't be suprised there are tricks that work better on UA/CO booking sites and Delta too. It is all about being smart about booking and minimizing risks.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 9:03 am

C2-C1.5 (almost C4) for < 200€ on ST.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
No.
I have made the mistake of buying a tricked ticket from an Aagent.
I wanted to pay with the GCs, that's why.
Whatever you do, don't repeat my mistake.
Is anything you post true? Weren't you just advocating for calling airline agents for FD tickets just last week?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by Pucnit
Rules for booking fares on aa.com...
  • use giftcards (only one flight in the itnerary needs to be on AA to pay with GCs)
  • do not keep a credit card on file with aa.com
  • do not try to upgrade

Don't be suprised there are tricks that work better on UA/CO booking sites and Delta too. It is all about being smart about booking and minimizing risks.
Have you booked a FD on Delta.com??
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:23 am

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by jayenoh
Have you booked a FD on Delta.com??
It's been done.

--

I suppose most of y'all have seen this, but FD quote of the year over at MMS. MMS obviously recognized the importance of this quote as he made it the title of his interview of Scottrick: “…I somehow became known as a go-to person for fuel dumping knowledge…”
Old Mar 2, 2012, 1:00 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank

I believe that gift cards can be used only for marketed (and maybe even operated) flights so that would knock out most opportunities

Originally Posted by samwkchan

No, you can, just not (usually?) with a gift card
Old Mar 2, 2012, 1:09 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
anyone notice that the patriot domestic 1x can (partially)dump frenchie?

I was doing mad-tunis (which is ugly expensive) and trying to make the $400 for a flexperks award with tunisair. Though that didnt work, frenchie took the bait--although the more convenient italiano did not. Shouldve been ~$650, but down to $508 (much more expensive than my TA!)
Old Mar 2, 2012, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by rizwank
Asking the right questions in PMs; forming groups yourself of people to collaborate and learn from each other; talk to the pros and show them what you've found. chase after the crazy high level FDs you've seen and try to replicate them (and maybe, just maybe, contact someone high up and show them how you approached it and see if they can shine some light)

And posting what you have found, even if the pros can beat it, still provides a challenge to the newbies; ones that they actually do have a chance at finding. I think sharing those is still a mitzvah.

High priests, what do you think of this?
Do the high priests welcome PMs from low/middling priests?

ALso when posting my deals, I never know how to convey it without giving too much away. Does this need more info or less?
two C1-C2s for $720

Another weird thing that happens both on airline site and on ex etc: if they choose and price it, (search by price) it comes lower than if you select the exact same flights (search by schedule) and then price it (one or more flights will be in wrong class). Sooo frustrating when trying to pick more complicated routings because there are only rather simple options offered by price (good luck getting PBI-HUB-HUB-XXX, or worse [since it must necessarily spill over 2 days] XXX-HUB-HUB-PBI. These routings work if you can spell out every segment, but when layering I only have one slot to spare)

Last edited by frank_10b; Mar 3, 2012 at 12:09 pm Reason: tmi
Old Mar 2, 2012, 1:27 pm

I am working on a C2-C1 Midwest RT on UA that is currently $1049RT with about $400 of YQ. Have tried several 3X's with negative success. I would be willing to trade some help on a different itinerary if anyone would be so kind as to assist. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.