Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

2010 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2010 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
stop being so lazy
Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:41 am

Programs: * A
Originally Posted by giggy
stop being so lazy
+1 if you don't want to read from the beginning, it may help to read from the end? you get hooked to travel, money falls from the sky
Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:53 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Should we clean up / delete our own posts?

I think we all agree that the tread has become very long and has a lot of expired out-dated info, not to mention a few hundred of "can someone pm me" posts.

I wondering if all of us should go back and clean up our own posts, even delete all text when appropriate? Later, the moderators might be requested to actually delete all the posts that have nothing but "--deleted--" in the text. This may make the thread a little easier to read.

Alos, starting right now, all "please pm me" posts that give no homework by the poster himself, as well as all "read the thread" responses, should be instantly deleted. This alone will be a major clean up.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
Originally Posted by aktchi
I think we all agree that the tread has become very long and has a lot of expired out-dated info, not to mention a few hundred of "can someone pm me" posts.

I wondering if all of us should go back and clean up our own posts, even delete all text when appropriate? Later, the moderators might be requested to actually delete all the posts that have nothing but "--deleted--" in the text. This may make the thread a little easier to read.

Alos, starting right now, all "please pm me" posts that give no homework by the poster himself, as well as all "read the thread" responses, should be instantly deleted. This alone will be a major clean up.
its pretty easy to to just read past the clutter if someone is serious about learning the "concept"
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:28 pm

Giggy's soapbox

As long as i'm at it, maybe this will rub off on some of the newb's. First I would like to give a shout out to all the major players on this thread. ^ I've been around FT for 5 yrs or so. The first time I read this thread, I didnt really understand it, but gleaned out that you folks found some "FD" thing that saved a little $, seemed like lots of "coach" fares for miles runs (i've managed to get to the point where my MRs are in Biz) so I left it to you folks to enjoy. A few weeks ago when this thread got closed, That got my attention, and I decided to read the whole thing. It took me about an hour and a half to figure out the "trick", my next step was to start finding "good ones" and "practicing" this new found tool. after about 3 weeks I felt fairly good at my attempts. Over the last week, I had some spare time and read the whole thread from start to finish.. I must say, this is about the most amazing thread I've ever read on FT. What I discovered was that while it is long, it has a rhythm to it. It has ebbs and flows. It has many major players, and many repetitive themes. Usually someone posts a fare, others chime in with help "playing with it" then others (usually with <50 posts) want to know whats up. Some follow advice, do homework, progress, and get help via PM. Then theres the others, who want something for nothin. I'm amazed at how much help was and is given out in this thread, for those willing to do a little homework. Once I had the idea down, this thread was actually fun to read, every time a got to a new "exciting" part, I was able to do the mental exercise to figure out the puzzle. Its worth a try, and its really not rocket science, just takes a little time. off soapbox

Last edited by giggy; Jan 17, 2010 at 3:16 pm
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC*E, AA, DL
Originally Posted by giggy
As long as i'm at it, maybe this will rub off on some of the newb's. First I would like to give a shout out to all the major players on this thread. ^ I've been around FT for 5 yrs or so. The first time I read this thread, I didnt really understand it, but gleaned out that you folks found some "FD" thing that saved a little $, seemed like lots of "coach" fares for miles runs (i've managed to get to the point where my MRs are in Biz) so I left it to you folks to enjoy. A few weeks ago when this thread got closed, That got my attention, and I decided to read the whole thing. It took me about an hour and a half to figure out the "trick", my next step was to start finding "good ones" and "practicing" this new found tool. after about 3 weeks I felt fairly good at my attempts. Over the last week, I had some spare time and read the whole thread from start to finish.. I must say, this is about the most amazing thread I've ever read on FT. What I discovered was that while it is long, it has a rhythm to it. It has ebbs and flows. It has many major players, and many repetive themes. Usually someone posts a fare, others chime in with help "playing with it" then others (usually with <50 posts) want to know whats up. Some follow advice, do homework, progress, and get help via PM. Then theres the others, who want something for nothin. I'm amazed at how much help was and is given out in this thread, for those willing to do a little homework. Once I had the idea down, this thread was actually fun to read, every time a got to a new "exciting" part, I was able to do the mental exercise to figure out the puzzle. Its worth a try, and its really not rocket science, just takes a little time. off soapbox
giggy knows

Once you can do most of the groundwork yourself, others will help fill in a part or two.

I love this thread myself
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:42 pm

Programs: CO,NWA,DL,AA,BA,
understand some newby's

Giggy, I understand what you are saying, but not all of us are looking for a free ride. I just found out about the system from a friend I met coming back from BKK. He showed me some pointers and it got me started. I began from the very first comments on the thread, but everytime I got to where someone would have some essential data, it was deleted or removed. I'm trying my best to go it without help, but not having a lot of success. I still have a lot of reading to d and hope it clears up, but as of now, no luck. I do appreciate te original folks who don't want the boat rocked, but I am willing to impact a s little as possible, and do my fare share of searching and sharing deals.

Thanks, PW
Old Jan 17, 2010, 7:10 pm

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
am I figuring this out??

I'm a noob here, wondering if I'm headed down the right path:

I was testing some fares from EWR-BCN for dates 3/2 - 3/9. I found $470 on .bomb with layovers in each direction (non-tricked). Kayak shows $509 for the same dates, on UA, non-stop (non-trick).

So, my question: would this be considered a "tricked" fare:

EWR-BCN 3/2
BCN-EWR 3/9
LGA- 3/9

$395 a/i, non-stop flights, all UA metal; or the other option is $350 a/i, on multiple carriers. In either case, the taxes are ~$60-70.

I understand this may not be the BEST fare, but is it possible for some of the veterans to comment if I'm making progress??!

Thanks, //perkunas
Old Jan 17, 2010, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by perkunas
yes, just play around to find a best 3rd strike to visit any northern or southern cross border relatives
Old Jan 17, 2010, 7:22 pm

As a newbie myself to the whole concept of mileage runs, let alone this technique of FD or tricking, I would have to say that there is a lot of homework involved in reading this lengthy thread as well as needed commitment. After a couple of months trying to decode all the meanings and coming back time and time again to certain parts of the thread, I've finally figured it out and it's pretty rewarding

Not perfect at getting the lowest price, but at least it's a start, so I say to others in the same situation, be persistant in reading, write clues down and revisit parts that baffles you at a later time with a clear mind. I must say that the learning curve is steep when it comes to mileage runs and even steeper in terms of this technique, but I've come to find this board and it's members are very helpful when it comes to leaving a couple of breadcrumbs so one can learn to find the path on his/her own.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 7:28 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
What giggy said.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 7:32 pm

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
What happens @ the end of your trip?!

Thanks. I just found some fares to MUC in mid-March for $100 cheaper than I could otherwise find ^. Still not *cheap*, but better.

What happens at the end of the trip?! (I don't want to state my question outright!).

Perhaps PM me if I'm worthy!
Old Jan 17, 2010, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks. I just found some fares to MUC in mid-March for $100 cheaper than I could otherwise find ^. Still not *cheap*, but better.

What happens at the end of the trip?! (I don't want to state my question outright!).

Perhaps PM me if I'm worthy!
You go home with fond memories, lots of EQM/RDM and a few extra $$ in your pocket

I've only done a "trick-it" MR once - but love the hunt-n-find even if I don't plan on taking advantage of a fare
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:09 pm

Programs: NWA Worldperks, AA Advantage, United Mileage Plus

I was testing some fares from EWR-BCN for dates 3/2 - 3/9. I found $470 on .bomb with layovers in each direction (non-tricked). Kayak shows $509 for the same dates, on UA, non-stop (non-trick).

So, my question: would this be considered a "tricked" fare:

EWR-BCN 3/2
BCN-EWR 3/9
LGA- 3/9

$395 a/i, non-stop flights, all UA metal; or the other option is $350 a/i, on multiple carriers. In either case, the taxes are ~$60-70.

I understand this may not be the BEST fare, but is it possible for some of the veterans to comment if I'm making progress??!

Thanks, //perkunas
Another tip: use the Big O or the expert booking site. They give better overall fares sometimes. Otherwise you're on the right track.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
LAS heads up

UA has filed a LAS-LON fare that can be encouraged to price out below 300 before taxes. Low 420s a.i.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.