Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AA Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold Elite, HH Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Looking to accelerate return to Executive Platinum after fall Pro last year. EQD's are fine, looking for EQM's
Departure Airport(s): LAX, SNA, SAN
EQMs Needed: 20,000
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget: $1,000
Available Travel Dates: July 1-31
Max # Travel Nights: 4
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA preferred, but partners OK
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat Hyatt Diamond Marriot Plat elite Hilton DIamond and IHG Plat
AA status run on BA metal

Departure Airport:CPT, JNB
Arrival Airport: LAX
Miles Needed: ~12K
Required Spend or Budget: 1500 or up to 2500
Available Travel Dates: Nov 30 - Dec 3
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: BA but crediting it to AA
I have over 60K avios and >500K HHonors points, MRs et al I can convert. Looking to empty the pot completely. I see that I can book a flight with BA and then upgrade with avios. Question is: If I book as a BA flight and get the upgrade, can I / do I get the higher EQMs that I need on AA to maintain my status?

Last edited by Burittoman; Apr 29, 2018 at 12:17 pm Reason: add cost
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EP, IHG Diamond / Kimpton IC
AA Status run

AA Status

Departure Airport: GSO, CLT, RDU
Arrival: Anywhere
Miles Needed: 12,500
EQD Needed: $2000
Budget: Whatever's cheap
Travel Dates: Before June 22

I need to hit these EQD numbers for a platinum challenge, cheapest way I'm guessing would be a oneworld partner flight that gives EQDs based on miles flown
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA - EXP
Hello!

Lighter than usual travel year for me. Currently AA PLT but want to hit exc for the first time. Open to how to do it. Have listed the planned travel I have for work which might be helpful.

Thank you for your help!

Departure Airport(s): New York Area / London (can be flexible)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 85,00 EQM
EQDs Needed: $1100
Max Budget: $6500 (is this dreaming?)
Available Travel Dates: Full year,
Max # Travel Nights: 20
AA only, or Partners Okay: Going for AA Exc-Plt
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N (easy to acquire)

Booked Travel
JFK-LHRrtn - May

Planned Travel
JFK-LHR - July
LHR - LISB rtn - July
JFK SFO - Oct
LAX - JFK - Oct
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA
Smile BOS Travel wanting to get to Pro or Exec

Hi there... I am currently Platinum thru the challenge and would like to get to Pro or Exec asap. I am in Boston (BOS) and travelling to LA about every other week and would love to get to Pro/Exec sooner to make these flights that much better... I would love any thoughts on how to ramp it up quickly or even how to better travel to LAX from BOS to ramp it up. Finally, I'm heading to Europe in June so thoughts on the best way to book that as well would be great! If there's anything else I should be reading let me know... I'm a noob here and read the wiki and hope I didn't miss anything.

Departure Airport(s): BOS
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 50k miles
EQDs Needed: $6000
Max Budget: flexible
Available Travel Dates: flexible
Max # Travel Nights: fleixble
AA only, or Partners Okay: either
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): not yet
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat Hyatt Diamond Marriot Plat elite Hilton DIamond and IHG Plat
AA status run on BA metal

Wasn't sure if my last post ever posted. Trying this again for better visibility

Required Spend or Budget: 1500
I have over 60K avios and >500K HHonors points, MRs et al that I can convert. Looking to empty the pot completely. I see that I can book a flight with BA and then upgrade with avios. Question is: If I book as a BA flight and get the upgrade, can I / do I get the higher EQMs that I need on AA to maintain my status?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Burittoman
Required Spend or Budget: 1500 or up to 2500
I have over 60K avios and >500K HHonors points, MRs et al I can convert. Looking to empty the pot completely. I see that I can book a flight with BA and then upgrade with avios. Question is: If I book as a BA flight and get the upgrade, can I / do I get the higher EQMs that I need on AA to maintain my status?
You do not earn the higher EQMs if you upgrade with Avios. The flight will credit in the original booking class.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by schwachs
Hi there... I am currently Platinum thru the challenge and would like to get to Pro or Exec asap. I am in Boston (BOS) and travelling to LA about every other week and would love to get to Pro/Exec sooner to make these flights that much better... I would love any thoughts on how to ramp it up quickly or even how to better travel to LAX from BOS to ramp it up. Finally, I'm heading to Europe in June so thoughts on the best way to book that as well would be great! If there's anything else I should be reading let me know... I'm a noob here and read the wiki and hope I didn't miss anything.

Departure Airport(s): BOS
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 50k miles
EQDs Needed: $6000
Max Budget: flexible
Max # Travel Nights: fleixble
AA only, or Partners Okay: either
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): not yet
I found this interesting possibility. The nice thing is the business class travel. The earnings for AA are roughly 25k EQMs if booked through BA. Due to the 25% EQD of the actual, the EQD would be 4100. The price is 3000, but could be connected to your Europe flight (you could book the domestic Europe)
Old May 1, 2018, 11:08 am

Trip to India with Europe

Originally Posted by mosfet
Hello!

Lighter than usual travel year for me. Currently AA PLT but want to hit exc for the first time. Open to how to do it. Have listed the planned travel I have for work which might be helpful.

Thank you for your help!

Departure Airport(s): New York Area / London (can be flexible)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 85,00 EQM
EQDs Needed: $1100
Max Budget: $6500 (is this dreaming?)
Available Travel Dates: Full year,
Max # Travel Nights: 20
AA only, or Partners Okay: Going for AA Exc-Plt
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N (easy to acquire)

Booked Travel
JFK-LHRrtn - May

Planned Travel
JFK-LHR - July
LHR - LISB rtn - July
JFK SFO - Oct
LAX - JFK - Oct
You could add a trip to Delhi or some destination in India. Assuming your flight to LHR is in business, the flight would be the same price with an additional flight from LHR to DEL. An example is https://goo.gl/flights/uAEpF. Hope this works!
Old May 1, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by DaVinciDeal
I found this interesting possibility. The nice thing is the business class travel. The earnings for AA are roughly 25k EQMs if booked through BA. Due to the 25% EQD of the actual, the EQD would be 4100. The price is 3000, but could be connected to your Europe flight (you could book the domestic Europe)
DVD -

So to be clear, I get a better EQM if I book thru BA vs. AA?

I am not sure I am understanding completely so want to make sure.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by schwachs
DVD -

So to be clear, I get a better EQM if I book thru BA vs. AA?

I am not sure I am understanding completely so want to make sure.
EQM is the same regardless of how booked. It is basically the flight miles or if in PE, Biz, F then a multiplier of the actual miles (generally 150%).

EQD will vary. If on AA it is about the ticket price minus taxes (they will tell you during the booking process). On partners it is a percentage of the miles. For PE on BA I think that's 20% (for most PE classes), and biz 25%. Whether it makes sense to book through AA or a partner depends on the cost and the flight distance.
Here is the earning chart on the AA site for BA flights.

Note: AA bases earnings from the marketing carrier. So even if you are sitting on an AA plane, if you book with a BA flight number, your earnings would be based on the BA chart (or vice-versa).
Old May 7, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, Starwood LP, Marriott P, Hilton Diamond
Im looking to maximize miles and eqds on some upcoming travel

Departure Airport(s): DCA, IAD, BWI, PHL, EWR, JFK
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 50,000 EQM
EQDs Needed: $9000
Max Budget: $6000ish
Available Travel Dates: Varies
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners preferred to maximize EQDs
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Y

Booked Travel
included above

Planned Travel
JFK - PAR first week of June
WAS - CTG first week of July
WAS - HKG flexible before october 2018
WAS - LIM flexible during summer
Old May 8, 2018, 6:44 am

PE with Cathay

Originally Posted by ChicGeekUno

Booked Travel
included above

Planned Travel
I have not looked too closely at your planned travel, but my thought would be to take 2 trips to Asia (first to HKG, then either Hanoi, Bangkok, or Jakarta) in Premium economy with Cathay. Here is an example: https://goo.gl/flights/GjEaW. Another option would be to use AA Vacations and look for the special fare code booked into economy. If you took a trip similar to this twice, then you would earn roughly 7500 EQDs, more than enough if you add in your flights to Europe and South America. Hope this helps!
ChicGeekUno likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by ChicGeekUno

Booked Travel
included above

Planned Travel

Originally Posted by DaVinciDeal
I have not looked too closely at your planned travel, but my thought would be to take 2 trips to Asia (first to HKG, then either Hanoi, Bangkok, or Jakarta) in Premium economy with Cathay. Here is an example: https://goo.gl/flights/GjEaW. Another option would be to use AA Vacations and look for the special fare code booked into economy. If you took a trip similar to this twice, then you would earn roughly 7500 EQDs, more than enough if you add in your flights to Europe and South America. Hope this helps!
Book via AA Vacations on JL metal. DFW-HAN. October 18-22. Books into P* so 1 round trip would earn 26223 EQM and 3496 EQD. Total cost with the cheapest hotel was $1675.00. This will give you more than your 9k eqd with less than 5k actual spend for 3 R/T's.
ChicGeekUno likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond - Marriott Titanium- AA EP
AA PLT currently and would like to get to EXP ASAP

Hi there... I am currently Platinum through challenge and would like to get to EXP asap. Home airport is Phx Sky Harbor but can be flexible to LAX, SNA, or SAN. Would like any advice on how to accelerate EQDs and EQMs to reach EXP.

Departure Airport(s): PHX (preferred), LAX, SNA, or SAN
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 75k miles
EQDs Needed: $5000
Max Budget: $3000
Max # Travel Nights: 2-3
AA only, or Partners Okay: either (which ever gets more EQDs or EQMs)
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): No

Curent AA Dashboard:
$4k EQD
28000 EQMs

Booked travel:
PHX-JFK-CLT-PHX
PHX-SEA-PHX
PHX-LAX-HKG-BKK-NRT-LAX-PHX (HKG to BKK AA flight # operated by CX) and (BKK to NRT AA flight # operated by JAL)

I plan on traveling to BKK later in the year (Nov-Dec) and hope to achieve EXP prior so that i can use the earn SWU for that trip when becoming EXP.

Thank you all for any assistance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.