Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by gemini5165
Departure Airport(s): SEA (can position to anywhere west coast)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 20k
EQDs Needed: $3000
Max Budget: $1000
Available Travel Dates: now to Sept.
Max # Travel Nights: Any Fri to Mon
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA, BA, Iberia, JAL, or Finnair
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): No
I think your parameters are a little unrealistic, especially with such a low budget.

That being said, your best bet—I think—will be AA Vacations packages or other special fares in economy. For example, I did a quick search, and SEA-SIN is $695 on 9/7–9/10, if you choose the cheapest hotel option possible. If you can connect through DFW on the return, you'll get 21,000 EQMs and ~2100 EQDs. Overall, you only spend one day and one night on the ground.
Old May 16, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Departure Airport(s): JFK (anywhere east coast)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: as much as I can get
EQDs Needed: as much as I can get
Max Budget: 3000
Available Travel Dates: End of May, beginning of June
Max # Travel Nights: 4
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners Ok
No

I'm looking to go to Tokyo and spend a few nights there. I'm looking to keep layover time lower. So far these are the combinations I've found
NYC-MAD in PE (800-1000)
MAD-ALG for 200 in Econ
ALG-TYO for 2200 in J on Qatar, doha layover(QSuites)
I'm worried about the transit issue for Algeria. I did see someone mention you wouldn't need one for 24 hours but it seems like itll be a hassle either way. Also, the Doha to Algier flights seem to land at 1 PM and it seems like I would have to stay in Algiers overnight unless I book two one way trips, or have a layover on my way from madrid
Should net around 35k EQM and 4.5k EQD. I would also spend a couple days in Madrid on my way back to re-adjust from time zone more smoothly.

alternatively NYC-TYO via Helsinki in J for $3100 (limited dates)
only 25k EQM and 3.5k EQD

alternatively
BOS-PEK in J, limited dates on JAL - 2200
PEK-TYO in Econ - 500
only 25k EQM, much shorter layovers but have to get to boston and 3.2k EQD

are there any other routes I should be looking at?

Last edited by StatusChallenged; May 16, 2018 at 11:31 pm
Old May 17, 2018, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
Departure Airport(s): JFK (anywhere east coast)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: as much as I can get
EQDs Needed: as much as I can get
Max Budget: 3000
Available Travel Dates: End of May, beginning of June
Max # Travel Nights: 4
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners Ok
No

I'm looking to go to Tokyo and spend a few nights there. I'm looking to keep layover time lower. So far these are the combinations I've found
NYC-MAD in PE (800-1000)
MAD-ALG for 200 in Econ
ALG-TYO for 2200 in J on Qatar, doha layover(QSuites)
I'm worried about the transit issue for Algeria. I did see someone mention you wouldn't need one for 24 hours but it seems like itll be a hassle either way. Also, the Doha to Algier flights seem to land at 1 PM and it seems like I would have to stay in Algiers overnight unless I book two one way trips, or have a layover on my way from madrid
Should net around 35k EQM and 4.5k EQD. I would also spend a couple days in Madrid on my way back to re-adjust from time zone more smoothly.

alternatively NYC-TYO via Helsinki in J for $3100 (limited dates)
only 25k EQM and 3.5k EQD

alternatively
BOS-PEK in J, limited dates on JAL - 2200
PEK-TYO in Econ - 500
only 25k EQM, much shorter layovers but have to get to boston and 3.2k EQD

are there any other routes I should be looking at?
I might consider positioning to YYZ if you have the time (and Avios). AY is generally about $500 less expensive from YYZ. If you pay an extra $500 or so and upgrade either the outbound or inbound to D (instead of I), it's 40% EQDs and a 100% RDM bonus—just something to keep in mind.
aztimm and StatusChallenged like this.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:31 am

AY chart

Note that JL I class only gets 14% EQD!

AY CHART:

BA

Last edited by MAGA; May 17, 2018 at 11:36 am Reason: AY not BA
Old May 17, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
sorry couldn't find this specifying AY as the airline of choice or connections in ORD/HEL or alliance via ita matrix - am i missing something else?

Also if it's JAL operated do I earn under JAL chart or Finnair partner chart? I would likely just spend the 500 and upgrade to D
Old May 17, 2018, 2:36 pm

The only carrier that matters for earnings are the marketing carrier. It does not matter what airline operates the flight. So for your flight it would be AY, not JAL.
StatusChallenged likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: National Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Seeking advice on how to maximize Platinum offer in email:

Departure Airport(s): SDF,LEX,CVG,IND,BNA - could position to ORD if necessary but as a last resort.
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 12,500 EQM
EQDs Needed: $2000
Max Budget: $1500-ish but ideally much less - I completed a Platinum challenge in 2014 by doing SFO-DFW-HKG-DFW-SFO for under $800. Thurs-Sun
Available Travel Dates: almost anytime in June or July at this point
Max # Travel Nights: 5-6?
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners are fine if optimizes EQM/EQD
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N
Old May 17, 2018, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
sorry couldn't find this specifying AY as the airline of choice or connections in ORD/HEL or alliance via ita matrix - am i missing something else?

Also if it's JAL operated do I earn under JAL chart or Finnair partner chart? I would likely just spend the 500 and upgrade to D
You'll have to tinker with the Finnair site a bit. Use the multi-stop/multi-destination option, and search YYZ-HEL, HEL-TYO, TYO-HEL, HEL-YYZ. For example, I was able to get the following to price out on the AY website for C$4092 (US$3188); with some more effort, I think I could get rid of the NGO stop on the way back. D on the way out and I on the return (there's a link to the fare rules if you're lucky enough to get to the pricing page). As long as the JL flight is coded as an AY flight, it will earn according to the AY chart.

StatusChallenged likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 9:53 am

Thanks! I can push on budget if the above is unrealistic. Main goal is to accomplish the required EQD for min out of pocket.
Old May 18, 2018, 4:42 pm

Thanks! I can push on budget if the above is unrealistic. Main goal is to accomplish the required EQD for min out of pocket.
I think CX PE is the best option. You could do a weekend trip SFO-CGK for $1482; with the positioning flights the total comes out to $1690. I would choose the option of a full day in Hong Kong and a quick turnaround in CGK. Or YVR-SIN is $1768.
Old May 20, 2018, 10:13 am

Hello,

I was targeted for the challenge. Starting at gold. Listing booked travel below as part of the challenge. Still need 25k EQM and $2500 EQD after booked travel. Though I'm not sure if it's realistic, would ideally like to book business class (lie flat) and get it done in over 1 or 2 weekends. But I understand that is also wishful thinking so will take other options. Found some ord-bos-lax-hnl options to get me there but doesn't seem like it will be lie flat.

Departure Airport(s): ORD
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 25k EQM
EQDs Needed: $2500
Max Budget: $3-4000
Available Travel Dates: through September 7th
Max # Travel Nights: 0-2
AA only, or Partners Okay: Whatever gets me there
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):N

Booked Travel
ORD-DEN June
ORD-TYS June
ORD-MSY June
Old May 20, 2018, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I think CX PE is the best option. You could do a weekend trip SFO-CGK for $1482; with the positioning flights the total comes out to $1690. I would choose the option of a full day in Hong Kong and a quick turnaround in CGK. Or YVR-SIN is $1768.
Thanks. I was initially thinking the same, but this is for a status challenge and the terms specifically name a handful of partner airlines for qualifying flights and that list excludes CX.
Old May 20, 2018, 1:09 pm

Thanks. I was initially thinking the same, but this is for a status challenge and the terms specifically name a handful of partner airlines for qualifying flights and that list excludes CX.
Ah, ok. I would probably try to do 2 weekend trips to HKG (or some other cheap Asian destination) through AA Vacations. BA also occasionally has good PE fares to DXB, MCT and AUH. Unfortunately, I am not seeing anything great at the moment.
Old May 20, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Departure Airport(s): DFW - Flexible to position as long as I can minimize the travel days
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 20k EQMs
EQDs Needed: $0
Max Budget: $2,000
Available Travel Dates: Now through July 1st
AA only, or Partners Okay: Any
Old May 20, 2018, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by MichaelKade
Departure Airport(s): DFW - Flexible to position as long as I can minimize the travel days
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 20k EQMs
EQDs Needed: $0
Max Budget: $2,000
Available Travel Dates: Now through July 1st
AA only, or Partners Okay: Any
Just do quick turnaround trip to Jakarta Indonesia (CGK). An example is this flight leaving on Thursday. There are other flights, but this nets you just over 20,000 flying through HK one way and NRT the other. Hope this helps. If you need more miles, fly through LAX and HKG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.