Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] OTA exOSL discounted QR flights (valid till Jan 17th)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2016, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sexten
Potential meet up let's have a beer or two. Please post your dates in the same format:

templar422 - 01 Apr 16 - OSL - DOH - BKK
templar422 - 03 Jul 16 - AMS - DOH - BKK
Expat Somchai - 10 Aug 16 - Scandic Oslo Airport - Heading to BKK
templar422 - 20 Oct 16 - OSL - DOH - BKK
sexten - 26 Nov 16 - OSL - DOH - SYD
jp_fin and Mrs - 26 Nov 16 - OSL - DOH - SYD
Jase76 - 19 - 27 March OSL - DOH - SYD
euromountain 13 Oct 16 OSL DOH SIN
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE] OTA exOSL discounted QR flights (valid till Jan 17th)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2016, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by mlqsko
Interesting. I might as well turn to FRA instead of OSL on the return.
I wouldn't read onlysuites's comment as suggesting that this was allowed on the same fare, just that a change could be to a new destination (presumably with both change fee and fare recalculation to the new itinerary).
Old Jan 17, 2016, 1:40 am

Programs: VS, CO, BA
Has anyone had any luck pricing through an OTA for less than the QR website for any departures other than OSL? Every time I try CDG/AMS/FRA etc (which are easier for me to get to from SW UK) the pricing just comes out on par with the QR site with expedia...
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by barnstaple
Has anyone had any luck pricing through an OTA for less than the QR website for any departures other than OSL? Every time I try CDG/AMS/FRA etc (which are easier for me to get to from SW UK) the pricing just comes out on par with the QR site with expedia...
OSL was the best in terms of prices through the OTAs. ARN second best.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 3:52 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Yeah, OSL is a bit of a sod compared to other starting points.

Ryanair fly to 3 airports 'in' Oslo allegedly and their prices can be nice and low. I'm staying a couple of nights in Oslo prior to my BKK flight to have a look around and so it doesn't really bother me which airport I fly into if they are scattered about the city / area like LHR, Stanstead, Luton, Gatwick etc... and have some decent overland transport links (need to investigate).
More of a problem if you are arriving & departing the same day.
For the return flight I'll take BA or Norwegian from the main international OSL airport. Can burn some Avios for Oslo on BA too.

Doesn't feel right taking a ryanair flight then boarding QR in business :-) so I'll probably BA Avios in J - still no comparison to QR J of course !
Old Jan 17, 2016, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I wouldn't read onlysuites's comment as suggesting that this was allowed on the same fare, just that a change could be to a new destination (presumably with both change fee and fare recalculation to the new itinerary).
Originally Posted by mlqsko
Interesting. I might as well turn to FRA instead of OSL on the return.
Will give my friend a call later on in the day and update.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 4:02 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Was really tempted last night to do a cheapy to Ho Chi Minh in economy 220 (if they did J (or I as it is here !) to SGN for 600 same as BKK then I'd absolutely have booked that but it's ~1200) and whilst I've flown a dozen or more QR flights I've never done so in economy so took to review sites to see what people say about it......Oh my Gosh !! The economy setup on the Dreamliner gets severely slated !! And the seats have almost an inch less width than Ryanair ! and only 2 inches more recline. Savage. If they'd been like Emirates Y on the A380 then I'd have gone for it and braved the great unwashed in cattle class :-)

Just can't bring myself to do it though !

Hopping from BKK to Ho Chi Minh and back from Hanoi adds about 120 (and faff !) and whilst it's not too much extra it is a totally unnecessary extra holiday so decided 720 (plus positioning to OSL) was a bit OTT given I was thinking of a real cheap trip @ 220 !

Nuts. I know I'll be sorry at 9pm tonight that I oly snagged one business class trip (Nov) when the deals are off the table :-(

Hopefully a few more airlines have mass sales of this magnitude (and OTAs undercut them too !!) this year so I can grab something else later.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 4:18 am

I know this is about the premium fares but......

Are all the cheapest Y flights OSL-DOH (as part of a longer route eg. OSL-DOH-SGN rtn) on the 787-8 Dreamliner ?
Economy on that has been slated a lot so am keen to avoid, but if I can find (and I can't thus far) a different plane for that leg at the low prices I'd be willing to brave economy on QR for the first time.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 4:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
I know this is about the premium fares but......

Are all the cheapest Y flights OSL-DOH (as part of a longer route eg. OSL-DOH-SGN rtn) on the 787-8 Dreamliner ?
Economy on that has been slated a lot so am keen to avoid, but if I can find (and I can't thus far) a different plane for that leg at the low prices I'd be willing to brave economy on QR for the first time.
I think OSL, ARN and CPH are all on the Dreamliner. You could try AMS for a 777. Or CDG uses A380 for some flights. But they are probably more expensive.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Will give my friend a call later on in the day and update.
Thanks
Old Jan 17, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro; DL Gold; UA Silver; IHG Plat; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond
is there still 24 hour cancellation for using foreign OTA? for example i'm in US using a US credit card and billing address but want to buy on expedia.dk can i still cancel within 24 hr with no penalty? or not since the flight doesnt originate or end in US?
Old Jan 17, 2016, 7:48 am

Be careful!

Don't make the same mistake as I did.

I've booked through expedia.dk yesterday evening (after the service center closed) but realised a few minutes later that I made a mistake. In the believe to be able to cancel within 24hours without any fees but a full refund I waited until this morning.

Today Expedia.dk explained that it is Qatars policy to allow free cancelations until midnight on the day of booking but no later than that. After midnight it is 200USD/ticket.

Originally Posted by homeone
is there still 24 hour cancellation for using foreign OTA? for example i'm in US using a US credit card and billing address but want to buy on expedia.dk can i still cancel within 24 hr with no penalty? or not since the flight doesnt originate or end in US?
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by persempreamburgo1
Today Expedia.dk explained that it is Qatars policy to allow free cancelations until midnight on the day of booking but no later than that. After midnight it is 200USD/ticket.
Thankfully QR has that policy. In Denmark travel products are excluded from the normal cool off rules.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Thankfully QR has that policy. In Denmark travel products are excluded from the normal cool off rules.
I think thats the case for most of Europe.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by onlysuites
I think thats the case for most of Europe.
Yes, I think that some posters here are not from Europe (or in this case Denmark) but it is indeed true for most (if not all?) of Europe, although most EU airlines do have a 24hr cooling off period*. I have no idea how this is done elsewhere, but the poster made it seem like a 24hr cooling off was standard in his neck of the woods.

* for web bookings, but not necessarily phone bookings.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 1:07 pm

Thanks for all the posts on this deal... you've all helped me put together a ARN-SIN, BKK-ARN trip!

Is anyone familiar with ARN? My flight out is at 22.40. If I fly to ARN from LHR on a BA flight to position myself to start the trip, is a scheduled arrival at 20.30 too risky?

The 20.30 arrival is available as a reward flight, earlier flights aren't.

Thanks for any advice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.