Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] AA: JFK-DEN (via LAX) in Flagship F rt $483

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] AA: JFK-DEN (via LAX) in Flagship F rt $483

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2015, 5:17 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by supermintyfresh
Bigger question is how are you able to stay in airports for 6 days without leaving? Honest question... wondering about the logistics and what not.
I would venture a guess that most of his time will be in the air, not in airports. And, more importantly lots of red-eyes to get sleep and to stay out of the airports during the wee hours.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by whimike
That isn't back-to-back ticketing, that is nested-ticketing as prior posters have stated would get around the Saturday-night stay issue.
Per wikipedia
Back-to-back ticketing is a type of nested ticketing where a traveler tries to circumvent minimum stay requirements.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_booking_ploys
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by supermintyfresh
Bigger question is how are you able to stay in airports for 6 days without leaving? Honest question... wondering about the logistics and what not.
I would venture a guess that most of his time will be in the air, not in airports. And, more importantly lots of red-eyes to get sleep and to stay out of the airports during the wee hours.
Flights for this fare would put me around 17hours a day in the air.

Rough itinerary for this run is as follows:

Dec17 10am JFK - DEN 6:22pm
Dec17 7pm DEN - JFK 6am+1
Dec18-21 mostly 7am dep JFK. Arrive at JFK either 5am or 6am(+1)whichever is later
Dec22 JFK-DFW-HKG(arr+1)

still trynna figure out what I've gotten myself into
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by jona970318
True. Nested is usually for side trips and is allowed. Back-to-back is against most carriers COC, including AA's, and AAdvantage TOC.

American specifically prohibits practices commonly known as:

Back-to-back ticketing: The combination of two or more roundtrip excursion fares end to end for the purpose of circumventing minimum stay requirements.
◾You may accrue mileage only for purchased, eligible, published-fare tickets on qualifying routes used in accordance with all applicable conditions of carriage, tariffs, rules and terms of ticketing (including but not limited to compliance with rules prohibiting hidden city, back to back and throwaway ticketing) and travel. AAdvantage mileage accrual eligibility on airline participant routes is subject to change without notice. Flights to/from Cuba are not eligible for mileage accrual.
You are rolling the dice with that many tickets nested together coupled with weather in DEN. Good luck.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by skunker
True. Nested is usually for side trips and is allowed. Back-to-back is against most carriers COC, including AA's, and AAdvantage TOC.
American specifically prohibits practices commonly known as:

Back-to-back ticketing: The combination of two or more roundtrip excursion fares end to end for the purpose of circumventing minimum stay requirements.
Does anybody know of any airline acting on this? I don't believe it to be enforceable and I would not believe any court would side with the airline on any action related to this part of the COC. Taking any action in this direction and losing would invalidate that part of the airline's COC, so I also doubt they would risk it.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Back-to-back ticketing is a type of nested ticketing where a traveler tries to circumvent minimum stay requirements.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_booking_ploys
:face palm:

I was incorrect and thinking end-on-end instead of back-to-back.

The prohibition of the nested back to back was to avoid people using the ticket to circumvent a higher priced, typically business-use ticket. They want to offer these better deals to leisure travelers and not cannibalize their high-end business revenue.

Although not permitted, OP is clearly not using back-to-back to circumvent paying for a higher cost ticket he otherwise would have bought and AA is not losing that potential revenue.

I'm not saying AA won't care, nor saying it condones the use of back-to-back, but OP isn't canceling a higher priced ticket and using back-to-back to do a planned trip cheaper. I think that is what the airline is most concerned with.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Does anybody know of any airline acting on this? I don't believe it to be enforceable and I would not believe any court would side with the airline on any action related to this part of the COC. Taking any action in this direction and losing would invalidate that part of the airline's COC, so I also doubt they would risk it.
It's in the in COC and TOCs that you agree to when you buy the tickets. AA can shut down your account for violating the TOC of the program. They may let you fly, but they don't have to give you miles. There would be nothing you can do about it. That has be decided in court.

Where things are going to go sideways is when there is a weather delay and AA does not have to protect him onto to the subsequent flights causing him to no-show.

I'm not saying I haven't done what he is doing, but there is no way I would do it that many times in a row to an airport that has been shutdown down for days at a time due to weather.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
I'm not saying I haven't done what he is doing, but there is no way I would do it that many times in a row to an airport that has been shutdown down for days at a time due to weather.
Yeah JFK can be a total mess .
Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Haha, I wasn't even thinking about JFK; I was thinking about DEN.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
I know you were, so I posted about JFK for laughs/irony , and partly because JFK can get messy REALLY fast too all by itself. Been through enough northeast snowstorms, and was at LAX flying to BOS right before Hurricane Sandy and watched an entire day worth of LAX-JFK/IAD get canceled in one fell swoop and a completely full LAX AC with people delayed. At least DEN faces no hurricane threat .
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Flights for this fare would put me around 17hours a day in the air.

Rough itinerary for this run is as follows:

Dec17 10am JFK - DEN 6:22pm
Dec17 7pm DEN - JFK 6am+1
Dec18-21 mostly 7am dep JFK. Arrive at JFK either 5am or 6am(+1)whichever is later
Dec22 JFK-DFW-HKG(arr+1)

still trynna figure out what I've gotten myself into
even in F, that is gonna get old fast i predict.

eat well, pack some fruit. airplane food for 7 days straight is going to wreak havoc on your digestive tract.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, WN AP, AS MVPG
Any chance this guy is still alive? I've looked up dates and couldn't find anything on matrix or google flights
Old Oct 20, 2015, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by mcn1985
Any chance this guy is still alive? I've looked up dates and couldn't find anything on matrix or google flights
Dead for a few days already.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 7:28 pm

I know you were, so I posted about JFK for laughs/irony , and partly because JFK can get messy REALLY fast too all by itself. Been through enough northeast snowstorms, and was at LAX flying to BOS right before Hurricane Sandy and watched an entire day worth of LAX-JFK/IAD get canceled in one fell swoop and a completely full LAX AC with people delayed. At least DEN faces no hurricane threat .
Thank you all for your response. This did cross my mind after I've ticketed...I think I really have to pray for the best, perhaps try to SDC to earlier connections to leave more time if things go bad. Hope the folks in the ACs will be my friend when huge weather delays strike.

It snowed here briefly in PHL on Sunday. IN OCTOBER!!!. I hope this winter will be a pleasant one
Old Oct 20, 2015, 7:34 pm

You are rolling the dice with that many tickets nested together coupled with weather in DEN. Good luck.
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
:face palm:

I was incorrect and thinking end-on-end instead of back-to-back.

The prohibition of the nested back to back was to avoid people using the ticket to circumvent a higher priced, typically business-use ticket. They want to offer these better deals to leisure travelers and not cannibalize their high-end business revenue.

Although not permitted, OP is clearly not using back-to-back to circumvent paying for a higher cost ticket he otherwise would have bought and AA is not losing that potential revenue.

I'm not saying AA won't care, nor saying it condones the use of back-to-back, but OP isn't canceling a higher priced ticket and using back-to-back to do a planned trip cheaper. I think that is what the airline is most concerned with.
It's in the in COC and TOCs that you agree to when you buy the tickets. AA can shut down your account for violating the TOC of the program. They may let you fly, but they don't have to give you miles. There would be nothing you can do about it. That has be decided in court.

Where things are going to go sideways is when there is a weather delay and AA does not have to protect him onto to the subsequent flights causing him to no-show.

Now I'm slightly concerned about this...I know airlines usually don't act on hidden-city, back-to-back etc. But if AA does decide to decline me miles, there's not much I could do...

Hope everything will go smoothly, I'll certainly be giving y'all daily updates, or maybe turn this into a fun TR. Although mine won't even come close to 36 rentals or 6 bottles of Dom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.