Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] (First): BA, AA : PRG - CUN or MEX $799

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] (First): BA, AA : PRG - CUN or MEX $799

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bartla
BA just gave me a call. They initially tried to contact me using a 'hidden' number, 20 minutes later they tried again with a +44 number.

Decided to accept the call to see how they are handling this. They clearly wanted to cover their *ss, as they immediately stated the conversation was being recorded. The lady told me she was from the BA Service Department and asked me if I had received their cancellation email (I did not). She was instructed to call me by revenue management to inform me my ticket was cancelled and my boarding passes invalid due to a 'pricing error' - the fare was supposed to be economy class. She repeated a number of statements several times to make sure I would not be able to state the airline didn't inform me in advance. Revenue management was giving me the option to still make the trip... in Y. Again a trick to make sure I cannot state they denied me boarding.

Anyway, all more or less as expected. Could have ignored the call but would have received the same info at PRG. Could have been lucky with cancellations only handled after the weekend, but not this time. Congrats to all those who departed today!
Well it sounds like they learnt from their mistakes last week. Although nobody would be happy to have such a well priced itinerary cancelled, BA are doing a better job this time perhaps.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:42 am

Yes, it sounds like that phone conversation was very slickly planned and executed.

Full marks for the effort Bartia!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
My holds are still up on AA.com.

Just as a reminder to my fellow Western Hemisphere folks, these holds will expire at 11:59PM CEST, which is 4:59PM US Central time. Definitely will be a 0% chance of ticketing after that time.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by sinus
That was discussed many times before: if you think about 600€ compensation based on EU261 then 0% chances on successful claim. The EU261 does apply for passengers holding a valid ticket. Yours was cancelled.
I think someone who got as far as getting all boarding passes issued is a little bit further than that!

If they try to deny you boarding, then they must reroute you under similar conditions!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:51 am

Don't forget that under EU261, involuntary downgrade gets you 75% of your 'fare' back. Whatever that was. Also, I'd imagine that is for a single class downgrade (to J in this case), but I don't know of any examples where this has ever been tested in court.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Real shame that this didn't work out but given BA's recent history it is no surprise. I would be quite worried about clearedforlanding's situation and I hope they just write his/her ticket off as 'one that got away'. But I think he/she might be looking at Y on the way home and who knows how vindictive the BA lawyers will get.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I missed another - good on those who grabbed one!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Real shame that this didn't work out but given BA's recent history it is no surprise. I would be quite worried about clearedforlanding's situation and I hope they just write his/her ticket off as 'one that got away'. But I think he/she might be looking at Y on the way home and who knows how vindictive the BA lawyers will get.
If BA knows whats good for them, they won't touch his ticket. They will definitely not send any lawyers after him. It'd be so much bad will and no one here has done anything wrong booking these tickets. They were published fares and no "hacking" was required to get these fares. BA lawyers would have zero recourse here - should something be done to the ticket, I believe clearedforlanding is the one with a legal case on his hand, not BA
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I booked 3 of these on AA.com, all AA metal except for the PRG-LHR flights.
They are all ticketing and still active.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:10 am

Are they canceling all? Mine is ticketed and Alive.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:13 am

Jose, it may have had some of the effects you mention but it would not be intentional.It also has had some negative effects.

BA cannot unilaterally engage in a Guerilla marketing campaign that requires it's OW partners to include AA & IAG sibling Iberia to clean up the sh**,
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by jose2000
Maybe you can explain?
As I told you before, I'm sure most of the people who tried to fly F for 700€ will buy a 5.000€ F ticket for every of their next trips.
This marketing stun is so effective that I even think BA won't equip Y nor J in their aircrafts anymore.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
I booked 3 of these on AA.com, all AA metal except for the PRG-LHR flights.
They are all ticketing and still active.
Still boycotting Long-haul BA F? aka J+ I haven't been to the CCR in a few years so decided to grab BA metal... let's see how this pans out...
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by EZETravel
Are they canceling all? Mine is ticketed and Alive.
I have not seen any reports of AA cancelations yet. BA & all OTAs, yes.

* Apparently Orbitz on AA following SEA-Flyer's comment below is still ticketed.

Last edited by ABeautifulPlaceInThe; Aug 28, 2015 at 10:41 am
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by ABeautifulPlaceInThe
I have not seen any reports of AA cancelations yet. BA & all OTAs, yes.
Booked through Orbitz, ticketed on AA. Charges still listed as pending at AmEx.

Still looks ok so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.