Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] RGN First class comes back again!!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: fti
People, please edit/use the wiki so same questions are not always asked.

The current CTA decision on the Yangon deal is only for tickets canceled by SWISS Airlines for the seven merged complaints/companions and tickets canceled by Jet Airways for one complainant and companions
- It's not about other carriers because each carrier submits different tariffs.
- If you are not one of the complainants or their companions above who were mentioned in the respective cases, you need to submit a case yourself for hearing.
- There's currently one person who is on Iberia for CTA decision, one can either wait for results or submit a complaint to CTA.

Result of the current case for LX in brief is:
- CTA found 5(F) in the tariff used to be unclear for canceling tickets on erroneously quoted fares.
- 5(F) is unjust and unreasonable and must be revised or taken down by July 9, 2013 (or SWISS can appeal by then)
- SWISS did not use its tariff correctly to cancel the tickets.
- SWISS must compensate one complainant's First Class ticket and any related expenses by July 18, 2013 provided with evidence.
- SWISS must transport other complainants (and their companions) in the original price charged with same booking class and routing by June 18, 2014.

Result of the current case for 9W in brief is:
- Tariff on file had no clauses for "erroneous fares" and was updated subsequently, which means it is not relevant to this event
- Therefore, 9W is to reinstate the tickets with a 1-year validity for transport between the same points and the same booking class.

CTA official news can be read here for general overview of the case.

Actual CTA case review can be found here for reference should you wish to file a complaint.

If you have a similar case that's with SWISS, you need to file with CTA to get a result through informal process first before it gets to formal process. The entire procedure can take up to 3 months for each and the result may not be same cause it's case-by-base and the reviewer of the case can be different.

To file an informal complaint with CTA, see here. Click through all of the pages to get to the online form for the informal complaint. Or click here.

To file a formal complaint after informal complaint has been closed, see here. Continue on to the next page to see the address or email address for the formal complaint.

The July 17th and 18th responses from LX can be found here:
Other Letters:

Feel free to add dates, flights, etc., in order to plan DOs, etc.

Aug 4: SFO-ICN (UA893)
Jason8612

Aug 5: ICN-SFO (UA892)
Jason8612

Aug 7: SFO-ICN (UA893)
Jason8612

Aug 11: ICN-NRT-ORD (UA78, UA882)
Jason8612

Aug 14: BOS-IAD-NRT-ICN (UA285, UA803, UA79)
Deltspygt

Aug 19: ICN-NRT-IAD-BOS (UA78, UA804, UA352)
Deltspygt

Oct 1: UA433-UA893
JeredF +1

Oct 8: UA892-UA242
JeredF +1

Oct 9: BOS-SFO-ICN (UA433, UA893)
BigJC

Oct 13: ICN-NRT-ORD-BOS (UA78, UA882, UA744)
BigJC

Oct 21: BOS-SFO UA433 to SFO-ICN UA893
Sterndogg +1
flyerdude88 (SFO - ICN portion only)

Oct 23: ICN - SFO UA 892
flyerdude88

Oct 27: ICN-SFO UA892 to SFO-BOS UA286
Sterndogg +1

Nov 05: BOS-ORD UA521, ORD-NRT UA881
kokonutz, I012609, BingoSF +1

Nov 11: ICN-SFO UA892, SFO-IAD UA727
kokonutz, I012609, BingoSF +1

Nov 26: BOS-SFO UA433, SFO-NRT UA837, NRT-ICN UA79
thepla

Nov 27: BOS-ORD-NRT-ICN (UA501, UA881, UA196)
BigJC+1

Nov 29: Planning 2 days in TPE, been to ICN
thepla

Dec 1: ICN-SFO UA892, SFO-ORD UA698, ORD-BOS UA961
thepla

Dec 1: ICN-NRT-IAD-BOS (UA78, UA804, UA822)
BigJC+1

Dec 15: BOS-SFO UA433, SFO-ICN UA893
songzm

Dec 25: BOS-IAD UA285, IAD-NRT UA803, NRT-ICN UA79
Dinoscool3 +2

Dec 30: ICN-SFO UA892, SFO-BOS UA444
songzm

Dec 31: ICN-SFO UA892, SFO-BOS UA770
Dinoscool3 +2

Jan 11: BOS-SFO UA1523, Jan 12: SFO-ICN UA893
margarita girl

Jan 12: BOS-SFO UA433, SFO-ICN UA893
Zebranz

14 Jan: BOS-SFO UA433 to SFO-ICN UA893
ORDOGG

19 Jan: ICN-SFO UA892 to SFO-ORD UA698 to ORD-BOS UA961
ORDOGG

Jan 22: ICN-SFO UA892 SFO-BOS UA500
margarita girl

Feb 5: ICN-SFO UA892 SFO-BOS UA242
Zebranz

CMB-DFW EY F

FARE IS GONE

FARE RULES (thanks to SQ421)
FRTLK Fare Rules (RT)
FOWLK Fare Rules (OW)

WHEN ARE YOU FLYING?
Feel free to add any additional cities you're leaving from!
Please slot yourselves in!!!

ex-CMB
Feb

Mar
8 - Darmajaya
12 - Thaidai
22 - Deadinabsentia

Apr
21 - SQ421, penegal, jozdemir
26 - tahsir21

May
28 - Upperdeck744
29 - bonsaisai (positioning flights SIN-CMB, DFW-ORD)

Jun
12 - lelee

Jul
7 - HansGolden +6
8 - arcticbull + 1
11 - bonsaisai's friend (positioning flights: SIN-CMB, DFW-MCI)
25 - Tycosiao
30 - bonsaisai's friend (positioning flights: MCI-DFW, CMB-SIN)

Aug
17 - DC777Fan
26 - Yi Yang
31 - dcas

Sep

Oct

Nov
8 - harryhv
29 - stephem+4

Dec
6 - roastpuff and (soon) Mrs. roastpuff , JFKEZE (UL Code-share)
7 - DWFI
10 - jlisi984 + dad (CMB-AUH-DFW)
21 - bonsaisai (positioning flights SIN-CMB, DFW-ORD)

ex-AUH
Jan

Feb

Mar

Apr
27 - RICHKLHS

May

Jun
29 - yerffej201

Jul
9 - HansGolden +6
27 - Tycosiao

Aug

Sep

Oct

Nov
30 - stephem+4 (to JFK)

Dec
7 - JFKEZE, DWFI [EY161 nonstop]
9 - roastpuff and (soon) Mrs. Roastpuff

ex-DFW
Jan

Feb

Mar
14 - Thaidai
15 - zainman +1

Apr
25 - SQ421, penegal, jozdemir

May

Jun

Jul

Aug
22 - arcticbull + 1

Sep
22 - bonsaisai (positioning flights ORD-DFW, CMB-SIN)

Oct

Nov
19 - harryhv->Paris

Dec
19 - Yi Yang, jona970318
24 - DWFI (EY160 nonstop)
26 - HansGolden +6 (CDG), LwoodY2K (AUH)
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE] RGN First class comes back again!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: AE, MP, DL, AA, Accor Platinum (But aren't we all?)
They were turned down by the courts and now they are trying to use the CTA as a forum in the place of the courts. Which honestly I doubt is its intended function. From the letters it seems as if they really want to bring every Flyertalk member who took part in this deal in for questioning so they can grill us about the "underbelly" world we live and participate in.

As for the lawyers giving the advice to SWISS, (as a lawyer myself) I am appalled. There is one of two things happening here. Either SWISS has said "fight it to the end no matter what the cost, time, procedure" in which case this latest move is well-played by the lawyers, or they are advising SWISS that continuing on this charade and paying their fees will have a different result than before. I do hope it is the first because we all know what it is when you do the same thing over and over again expecting a different result...
Old Mar 12, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: LX HON Circle
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; de) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1033 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by Maayan
Originally Posted by YYZC2
New e-mail is out from SWISS' counsel... now they want an oral hearing before the CTA.
Does that mean they're gonna fly me to wherever the CTA is? Will I be seated in F?
I replied to their E-Mail and asked that question... .
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: AC SE
Latest Swiss nonsense

My reply:

I confirm receipt of the motion.

I may just go to Australia for a few months and Swiss can fly me to Ottawa for the verbal hearings!
Old Mar 13, 2014, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Thanks to all those of you who love to reply to emails with the 'Reply All' button. Is it too much to ask to just type in the 2 recipients that should actually get your mail? Idiots.

Why do you even acknowledge the email, it is not addressed to you.

It is addressed to Cathy Murphy of the CTA and (if at all) only she is supposed to acknowledge the receipt.

Save yourself the air of replying in this matter, we are only the complainants and have no say in any application for a hearing of whatever sort. This decision will be made by the CTA based on the regulation. There is no requirement to express our argument or opinion about that, nor is it welcomed in the process.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jmolony
My reply:

I may just go to Australia for a few months and Swiss can fly me to Ottawa for the verbal hearings!
Why would they? This hearing is between the CTA and Swiss, respectively their counsel.

Attendance of the individual complainants is not even remotely required.

I would love a free flight to YOW though.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 4:23 am

3 posts up. You'll find the exact reference right there if you read it.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Lack
Looks like they seems to be asking for face time with the CTA to fight "the good fight" against consumers in digital age for all the airlines in the future?
Face to face meetings could simply be to clear up the expectations of the regulator, and define how the airline is to to comply with the directive issued. Earlier posts have highlighted questions about routings, financial compensation, travel on non-SWISS carriers, availability and validity of tickets. These must be issues of some concern to the carrier as well.

However, I think you have hit the nail on the head with your comments regarding technology and the future.

For most of the doughty consumers fighting this case, victory will mean getting themselves half-way round the world so as to return in luxury, hopefully generating a ton of frequent-flyer miles on the way.

But for SWISS (and other airlines) defeat will be a worrying precedent for how regulators handle situations like this. SWISS has most likely written off the current debacle, but their concern (and that of other carriers) must be the wider impact of any judgement on their future network capacities and the revenues they generate.

Error fares in some form or another are always going to emerge. Not so long ago most of these would have died undetected and unexploited: but now the many applications of electronic media within the industry, and surrounding it, exacerbate the promulgation and the take-up of error fares.

It seems to me that these are the reasons behind the tenacious approach taken by LX in defending its position: for the airline it's an investment in the future rather than an isolated fight over seats for a few dozen passengers.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by jmolony
My reply:
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Thanks to all those of you who love to reply to emails with the 'Reply All' button. Is it too much to ask to just type in the 2 recipients that should actually get your mail? Idiots.
Lol! Sounds like an interesting mailing list to be on
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
However, I think you have hit the nail on the head with your comments regarding technology and the future.
I think it is a sobering moment for the airlines, being parts of global alliances, global organizations, with global market presence and reach realizing that the consumers actually live in a global world as well. Welcome to 2014 Swiss.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 6:00 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Why not confirm receipt/express your disapproval of LX to the mailing list/Cathy Murphy/CTA/all LX legal counsel?

Does anyone think that the complainants' opinions of LX are not understood/secret/priviliged or that they will somehow affect the outcome? I don't for a moment believe any of that. I call them - again - what they are. Reneging gnomes. In fact, they are almost :-: best in class :-:
Old Mar 13, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: SPG Plat 100, A3*G
I'm glad I made you guys happy!

Now I just need help with a couple of sentences to write back regarding the "no change" thing being against fare rules and those DoT regulations.

I know some of you are pros when it comes to this
Old Mar 13, 2014, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Why would they? This hearing is between the CTA and Swiss, respectively their counsel.

I would love a free flight to YOW though.
Even without mileage earning?
(i.e. they put you in K/X class-though flying in the 77P on AC would be even worse even with mileage earning...)
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Face to face meetings could simply be to clear up the expectations of the regulator, and define how the airline is to to comply with the directive issued.
The oral hearing is requested as an opportunity to "present and test the evidence"

LX isn't interested in clearing up the expectations of CTA, it's interested in cross examining and intimidating the complainants.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
The oral hearing is requested as an opportunity to "present and test the evidence"

LX isn't interested in clearing up the expectations of CTA, it's interested in cross examining and intimidating the complainants.
In order for that to happen, the complainants (us) would have to be there right?

So, either we show up voluntarily, which would be the dumbest thing we could do, or CTA would have to issue international subpeonas. I doubt that a regulatory body could issue those. Here in Texas, courts can only issue a subpeona for up to 150 miles (I believe).

Can anybody post the text of the lastest email please?

Cheers
Old Mar 13, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I'm not so sure about that. Included in the letter is:
An oral hearing will allow for all of the parties and the Agency to gather the necessary evidence more effectively, as well as an opportunity to present and test the evidence as it pertains to the above issues.
I read "all of the parties" to include the complainants (but correct me if my legalese interpretation is not correct). The request is simply absurd and Davis LLP is "grasping at straws".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.