Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2012, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by antkleve
After being a regular reader of these forums for years I finally feel compelled to say something. Being a travel industry professional for 15 years, I have read in horror some of the advise and information posted on this thread, most of which is totally wrong.

My advice to anybody is, whatever you read on these forums, don't believe it. If you haven't got access to inside knowledge and expertise in a matter like this, you will get burned if you try to dabble with bookings you have made.

From reading this thread with stories about 15 year olds booking themselves on flights to Jeddah, through to people who aren't in the know that expect to be able to do turn-arounds without visas in Rangoon, it's becoming all too much.

Mind you, I'm glad that I'm not working on check-in in Rangoon or any other positioning port. I pity the staff there as I'm sure they will be pulling out a few grey hairs for the next 12 months dealing with the amateurs that have jumped on to this latest bandwagon.

Please everybody...just keep quiet. Don't contact airlines, don't do seating, meals or special requests, don't try to involve any human intervention whatsoever in your bookings. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Leave your bookings in place and don't touch them until you check in at the airport and get your boarding pass.

By doing us all a favour you won't be to spoiling the fun. And Remember the saying, Loose lips sink ships.
Too late the ship has already sailed.
Old May 18, 2012, 6:51 pm

From reading this thread with stories about 15 year olds booking themselves on flights to Jeddah, through to people who aren't in the know that expect to be able to do turn-arounds without visas in Rangoon, it's becoming all too much.
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I think he was 17
Just to clarify, I did end up scrapping my JED bookings- though my parents are still grilling me over RGN but hopefully I can convince them

I (would like to think) I know what I'm doing...
Old May 18, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Anyone heard from Vayama on canceled DL stock tickets? I haven't got the re-instatement email, though the flight I booked was to the US.
Old May 18, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Originally Posted by ung1
Anyone heard from Vayama on canceled DL stock tickets? I haven't got the re-instatement email, though the flight I booked was to the US.
Have you been able to look up your itinerary? Any positive changes to your itinerary
I have seen some positive changes to my 006 itinerary; flights back in place,etc. no email yet though
Old May 18, 2012, 7:02 pm

After being a regular reader of these forums for years I finally feel compelled to say something. Being a travel industry professional for 15 years, I have read in horror some of the advise and information posted on this thread, most of which is totally wrong.

My advice to anybody is, whatever you read on these forums, don't believe it.
antkleve, you are absolutely spot on. I will follow your advice, beginning with ignoring your advice ("don't believe it") of your first post here.

As for advice from others, I've picked some great advice and info here -- the TK $802 fare HKG/LAX, dumping miles into A3 for *A gold card, and this RGN/LAX-SFO-JFK, etc thread to stay the course and hang on tight, to name a few.

Might you give us a few examples of the advice and info here which caused you to react in horror?

As for your comment that "loose lips sink ships", well, the CSA BKK/Europe ship did sink, but not because of "loose lips"; it sunk from something totally out of our control -- system error due to indifferent/inept CSA management.
Old May 18, 2012, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by tangoll

As for your comment that "loose lips sink ships"
In this case, our loose lips... err keyboards... brought the ship back up. ^ to everyone that complained to the DOT.

Not only for this small victory over "errors" - but as a precedent for future errors.
Old May 18, 2012, 7:22 pm

I don't get why people still think they shouldn't call the airlines... the fare is long gone (except JED) and the airlines are already well aware so it's not you're pulling wool in front of their eyes. Not calling the airline may save your reservation for now (though with the recent KE/Vayama developments it doesn't seem so), but if they decide not to honour it, you're going to be stuck at the gate in RGN rather than at home in your lounge chair. Better to sort everything out and confirm that the flights will be honoured before you take off.

But then again, that's just my take on it, and what do I know?
Old May 18, 2012, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

From reading this thread with stories about 15 year olds booking themselves on flights to Jeddah,
Burma and Saudia may not be the idea places for a [17] year old to cut their teeth but by the same age I was already flying solo around the world to places like Yugoslavia and I learned some great lessons. In terms of safety - airports are not the most dangerous of places, and travelling in premium classes you get looked after.

So 17 and out and about is a good thing! Joan of Arc was leading an army at 19, Richard Branson founded Virgin at 20, around the same age for the founders of facebook and apple.
Old May 18, 2012, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
And miraculously JED is still alive!

Also, what is the airport like in RGN? A better question would be- how much English is there? How much difficulty would one experience if one does not speak the native language?

Thanks.
A very easy question to answer;

No problems whatsoever!

History lesson............How long have English speaking people been in Burma?
Old May 18, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
I don't get why people still think they shouldn't call the airlines... the fare is long gone (except JED) and the airlines are already well aware so it's not you're pulling wool in front of their eyes. Not calling the airline may save your reservation for now (though with the recent KE/Vayama developments it doesn't seem so), but if they decide not to honour it, you're going to be stuck at the gate in RGN rather than at home in your lounge chair. Better to sort everything out and confirm that the flights will be honoured before you take off.

But then again, that's just my take on it, and what do I know?
Don't say that. It's not about the issuing carrier but also about the feeders like RGN-BKK on TG.

Bottom line: DO NOT CALL THE AIRLINE !

Not sure what is there to discuss about this. If people are not willing or capable of taking at least 'some' risks along the way and would rather 'relax in their lounge chair at home' then booking error fares is not exactly what those people should be doing IMHO.
Old May 18, 2012, 7:38 pm

Didn't TG already announce their awareness and involvement in this matter? Again, better to get it sorted at home rather than at the gate in RGN (which based on the memo TGflyergirl released - thanks a lot! ^ - seems like a real possibility).
Old May 18, 2012, 7:43 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Burma and Saudia may not be the idea places for a [17] year old to cut their teeth but by the same age I was already flying solo around the world to places like Yugoslavia and I learned some great lessons. In terms of safety - airports are not the most dangerous of places, and travelling in premium classes you get looked after.

So 17 and out and about is a good thing! Joan of Arc was leading an army at 19, Richard Branson founded Virgin at 20, around the same age for the founders of facebook and apple.
And they have an 80% success rate of living to 25, so, those are good odds!
Old May 18, 2012, 7:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Clincher
Have you been able to look up your itinerary? Any positive changes to your itinerary
I have seen some positive changes to my 006 itinerary; flights back in place,etc. no email yet though
I can see the itinerary on DL.com, though I hadn't checked it after the ticket was canceled to see if it was still showing. I did check SQ, and it still shows PNR canceled.
Old May 18, 2012, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Fishhooks

History lesson............How long have English speaking people been in Burma?
According to wikipedia, British colonial rule until 1948.

< http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_rule_in_Burma > with heavy influence from India. The English speaking skill of Burmese is greater than that of Hong Kong people, whose British rule didn't end until 1997, and since then, English skills in HK have deteriorated even further.
Old May 18, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, IHG Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by Clincher
no change for me unfortunately. reservation still shows "ticketed" on vayama but itinerary is blank.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.