Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: UA MM / Plat
Originally Posted by stratofortress
Another data point:

Sounds like it's TG that's raising the stink now...
One thought for US based ticket holders: I imagine the DOT rules will be much more useful in protecting us against this type of behavior from airlines that have operations/offices in the US (including TG). For example, I imagine that the DOT would not be able to sanction an airline like Bangkok Airways (which has no US presence) for denying a passenger boarding in RGN, even if en route to the US.
Old May 7, 2012, 8:21 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Another data point:

Just got off the phone with a friend who works for a US-based carrier. They received a bulletin yesterday stating that Thai Airways had contacted them to let them know of an "exchange rate error" with that resulted in "tickets being issued for incorrect fares", and that persons who have those tickets "may have obtained them fraudulently."

Because of this, employees of this airline are not supposed to touch *any* tickets that originate in RGN until the situation is sorted.

Really pathetic if true.

If they think such an approach will get them any sympathy here then they can think again.

It's one thing to make a mistake, it is another to blame it on your customer. Especially by saying that fraud was involved.

Any business makes a mistake, just live up to it and move on.
Old May 7, 2012, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Keter
I still do not understand how MI could issue 'cheap' tickets in the beginning of April when BSR for 1 USD was 6.435 MMK. Did they have their own internal exchange rate?
That bit is unclear. Perhaps the exchange rate was already sitting at 800+ in somebody's system.

Originally Posted by metabourke
You have the actual email so are obviously in a better position to judge, but from your prcis the airline was suggesting that something dishonest had led to the tickets being issued. The airline knew there was a pricing issue up to the 12th so whilst they might not like the pre-12th tickets being issued I don't see how they can suggest anything dishonest.

We know there wasn't anything dishonest about the tickets issued after the 27th either, but if they don't understand how they were issued at that price (or want to pretend they don't understand) then they might well suggest that something fishy has led to the issue of the post 27th tickets.
It's easier to make the claim that someone got it dishonestly, rather than fessing up for a mistake......

Another data point:

Just got off the phone with a friend who works for a US-based carrier. They received a bulletin yesterday stating that Thai Airways had contacted them to let them know of an "exchange rate error" with that resulted in "tickets being issued for incorrect fares", and that persons who have those tickets "may have obtained them fraudulently."

Because of this, employees of this airline are not supposed to touch *any* tickets that originate in RGN until the situation is sorted.

When you say not supposed to touch - does that mean " not supposed to cancel" or "not supposed to honour" ?

What irks me more and more is that people who bought these tickets are labelled fraudsters.
Old May 7, 2012, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
...What irks me more and more is that people who bought these tickets are labelled fraudsters.
+1.:-: Thanks TGFlyergirl for this advance warning.
Old May 7, 2012, 8:26 am

I think someone else mentioned it upthread, but IMO "negligence" is a good buzzword to use in this situation, and in communications with airlines/TAs. It puts the onus of responsibility clearly on the airlines to make the customers whole...
Old May 7, 2012, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
So if I have a KE segment on OZ stock, KE can see what fare I paid for it, and decide to cancel it on their own accord?
KE cannot cancel OZ tickets, KE can refuse to accept it for KE flights. Normally, there is no reason for it as KE gets paid a normal fare anyway. But, now there is this memo which makes it murky.
Old May 7, 2012, 8:28 am

So can KE see the fare paid for the ticket, and deny me boarding at the gate in ICN?

Programs: M&M
As for non-ABC plated tickets with ABC as the first leg, it's not clear. I don't see why they wouldn't honor it since they'll go and ask the plating airline for the (i believe) fixed predetermined amount for their leg. IIRC, This is regardless of what was ACTUALLY paid for the ticket. (the plater is the one with the risk in this regard).

Then there's the risk of an overzealous ABC staff at the airport who reads the memo and applies it his or her way and denies boarding even if not on their own stock.
Wasn't SQ refusing to check in pax on some CMB-NYC AZ biz fare claiming they would never receive the correct amount for transportation after looking at the total price paid?

Programs: BA Silver, TK Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat AMB
If I had a ticket issued by THAI Airways I would be expecting not to travel.

They refused to honour tickets last year on an AF pricing error and cancelled tickets themselves, including denial of check-in at the airport.
Old May 7, 2012, 8:30 am
GmK

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by TerryK
KE cannot cancel OZ tickets, KE can refuse to accept it for KE flights. Normally, there is no reason for it as KE gets paid a normal fare anyway. But, now there is this memo which makes it murky.
Especially since noone is looking forward to any form of IDB in RGN.

Usually I would have said that using only OCLI might make it safer, but in this case...I don't know. If their tactics are to scare us from attempting, it is working slightly for me at least.
Old May 7, 2012, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Keter
They can, but I would assume this is illegal because they shall send any claims to the ticket issuer (stock owner) who in turn shall send their claims to the fare owner [ie KE 180 stock ticket under OZ fare]....
Tickets are supposed to be plated on fare publisher.@:-) In your example, KE stock under OZ fare, it is a plating error which KE can claim from TA or GDS. OZ fare should be plated on OZ 988 stock.
Old May 7, 2012, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by FrankTalk
Wasn't SQ refusing to check in pax on some CMB-NYC AZ biz fare claiming they would never receive the correct amount for transportation after looking at the total price paid?
Was aware of that - but really can't see why. IIRC, the rate is fixed. SQ couldn't care less.

Originally Posted by Boddingtons
If I had a ticket issued by THAI Airways I would be expecting not to travel.

They refused to honour tickets last year on an AF pricing error and cancelled tickets themselves, including denial of check-in at the airport.
Incidentally - TG did honour for me, as did SQ (on the same ticket) - and they were on AF stock.
Old May 7, 2012, 8:33 am
GmK

Programs: A few
Incidentally - TG did honour for me, as did SQ (on the same ticket) - and they were on AF stock.
OCLI or "human" check-in interaction?

And thank you for all the great insight so far!
Old May 7, 2012, 8:33 am

On another note: Since somebody has mentioned it already, my source has confirmed that I can reaffirm that the origin of the email was

....drumroll...............

TG:-:

Yes, the exact words Fraud and Forgery are used.
Old May 7, 2012, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by GmK
OCLI or "human" check-in interaction?

And thank you for all the great insight so far!
You're talking about those KTM fares right? Yes, Human interaction - and not once, but twice. Routing was identical both times, TG didn't care. They were gonna get their money from AF by hook or by crook.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.