Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Gone) HA: ICN-HNL-LAS/PHX/PDX/etc C class 699 USD RT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Gone) HA: ICN-HNL-LAS/PHX/PDX/etc C class 699 USD RT

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2010, 6:28 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA LT Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by incognism
Had to give up the good fight, good luck to the rest of you.

My travel plans had changed and I was no longer able to fly the booked itinerary, so I decided to take the vouchers and call it a day. Got them to extend the expiration date to Dec 31/2011. Unfortunately, I'm out ~$25 or so/ticket as I booked the tickets on a Canadian CC and the CDN$ has gone up in the past few weeks. The girl at the "dedicated line" couldn't up the voucher to compensate for the difference, but suggested I email the HA Advocate using the webform and see how it goes.
So what is the final value of the voucher HA issued to you? For me, I filed another complaint to DOT since HA changed the service class from Business to Coach. See how it will go.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 6:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by pigx5
My friend who travel next year would take the offer #2.
I ask them since the hard product is different should they offer something to compensate and they reject.
We booked this ticket is for KE not for HA.....
I think that's pushing your luck. You technically booked a seat on a Hawaiian Airlines flight, although it's code-shared on Korean metal. The fact that KE's hard product is superior is a bonus, but not worthy or eligible for compensation. Hopefully the flood of DOT claims will mandate that HA honor the original bookings and respect their contractual obligations.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
I think that's pushing your luck. You technically booked a seat on a Hawaiian Airlines flight, although it's code-shared on Korean metal. The fact that KE's hard product is superior is a bonus, but not worthy or eligible for compensation. Hopefully the flood of DOT claims will mandate that HA honor the original bookings and respect their contractual obligations.
Guys, guys, no this is not correct at all. I have the IATA manual from a few years ago sitting around at work, so I'll try to browse through it tomorrow. But basically codeshares are VERY particular, so IATA (and subsequently the DOT) take a very hard stand on disclosure of operating and marketing carriers.

In my DOT and BBB letters I explained that once a codeshare is booked, the operating carrier would have to either have a major schedule change (i.e. significant time change) or cancel it's flight/codeshare relationship altogether in order for the marketing carrier to make any unilateral decisions and move the pax to it's own operating flight.

You need to understand that Hawaiian can not make any changes to the booked codeshare flights without notifying the pax, due to the full disclosure requirements of codeshare handling. It is more complex than this, but at the core level you booked Korean, Hawaiian disclosed you were booking Korean, and therefore Hawaiian must have you fly on Korean unless there is a major schedule change on KE's side.

That being said, none of my flights have changed, class or otherwise yet.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
But you booked this on the HA website, not KE's. Therefore you cannot argue that.
Now that's funny and completely incorrect, Im pretty sure your not a lawyer.

Im still waiting on HA to do the right thing and give in to my demands. DOT got back to me and I replied, but DOT can't do much for me and frankly only alerted DOT to piss off HA. If by christmas time I do not have a resolution completely in my favor HA will be taken to task and after consulting with my local (and friendly) AG the host of issues HA will contend with will be very expensive. Do not give in for measly vouchers or useless options.

ETA: My itinerary has not changed one iota on ha.com

Last edited by psyflyer; Aug 13, 2010 at 9:16 am
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:29 pm

Programs: AC*P, SPG
Originally Posted by blueslip
So what is the final value of the voucher HA issued to you? For me, I filed another complaint to DOT since HA changed the service class from Business to Coach. See how it will go.
$600 USD per voucher, 1 voucher per traveller.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:00 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, SQ Krisflyer
My trip is late Dec. The additional sector HA had added to my itinerary, as seen in Manage My Trip, is deleted now. That sector preceded the first sector ICN-HNL. This may have occurred as a result of my fax to HA this week.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by foreigner
My trip is late Dec. The additional sector HA had added to my itinerary, as seen in Manage My Trip, is deleted now. That sector preceded the first sector ICN-HNL. This may have occurred as a result of my fax to HA this week.
O, what did you fax? So you mean they changed your itinerary back to normal?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:48 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, SQ Krisflyer
Originally Posted by philosophy_king
O, what did you fax? So you mean they changed your itinerary back to normal?
Yep. Back to what it was...the first itinerary read First for all sectors. Then it changed to Business for ICN-HNL vv. Now these sectors are reading First again. The HNL-LAS vv have been First all along. The extra sector to prevent me travelling is now removed.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:06 am

.....^
Old Aug 14, 2010, 2:55 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Do you have the terms and conditions?
Thank you.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 2:58 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
I'm assuming this is one voucher per traveler per reservation made.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
demand letter.

While I am no expert in drafting demand letters, I have drafted the outline of one that you can use to try and keep your ticket as issued. It is generic as written. The idea is that you mail it by certified mail to the CEO and the airlines agent of process either in the state purchased or in the state where the airline's HQ is.

VIA E-mail and Certified Mail Return Receipt requested, VIA agent of process and CEO

XYZ Airlines
<address line 1>
<address line 2>

Dear Mr. J CEO,

On <Date>, I offered through <website> $111.11 for SEA-SEA-SEA in F/J/Y class. Your airline/website accepted my offer and issued ticket number 999123456789. On <date> I received notice that your company was refusing to honor the contract we established on the date you accepted my funds.

This is not acceptable.

As your website solicited offers for $111.11 and accepted offers for that price, your organization is bound to the terms of the contract. The fact that your organization may or may not have made a unilateral mistake in soliciting offers for that itinerary and price is irrelevant. Unilateral mistake is not a defense to breach of contract.

As of <post date> my only demand is that you honor ticket as originally sold. If you proceed in making material changes to the ticket including, but not limited to: changes to dates, changes of operating carriers, changes to city pairs, changes to fare classes as originally booked, and/or changes to class of service as originally booked; the following shall happen.

1. I will file complaints with the DOT, FTC, and the State AG’s office for deceptive trade practices.

2. I will book a new ticket in the originally issued class of service between the original origin and arrival cities on the same dates as ticket number 999123456789.

3. I will seek compensation from your organization in a court of law that will make me whole, which will include a refund of the original ticket purchased and the difference between that ticket and the ticket purchased to replace it as well as cover court costs.

You have 10 working days from the receipt of this letter to insure that no changes are or will be made to ticket number 999123456789. If changes have already been made by your organization, then you have the same 10 working days dated from the receipt of this letter to reverse those changes that have you have made.

If you have any questions, you may contact me by phone/e-mail/post at the following number or address, <insert contact info>.

Very truly yours,
Annoyed customer.
I am curious as to your thoughts. I am not a writer by nature so please be gentle.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by colpuck
While I am no expert in drafting demand letters, I have drafted the outline of one that you can use to try and keep your ticket as issued. It is generic as written. The idea is that you mail it by certified mail to the CEO and the airlines agent of process either in the state purchased or in the state where the airline's HQ is.

I am curious as to your thoughts. I am not a writer by nature so please be gentle.
I am a lawyer, but I am, of course, not yours, not Hawaiian's, and not anybody else's who may be reading FlyerTalk, unless one of my existing clients coincidentally happens to also be reading this thread.

With that said, I think your letter is generally good, with one notable exception. You write: "Unilateral mistake is not a defense to breach of contract." This is not correct.

Unilateral mistake may be a defense to breach of contract. It certainly is in Hawaii. See, e.g., Honda v. Board of Trutees of the Employees' Retirement System of the State of Hawai'i, 108 Hawai'i 212, 218 (2005). With that said, it is not a particularly attractive defense because, among other things, it doesn't apply if the party asserting it fairly bears the risk of the mistake. See id.; see also Restatement (Second) of Contracts § 154 (1979).

Let me put if this way: when defending a client against a breach of contract claim, if our only defense is unilateral mistake, I generally do not consider us to be in a very enviable position.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA LT Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
I am a lawyer, but I am, of course, not yours, not Hawaiian's, and not anybody else's who may be reading FlyerTalk, unless one of my existing clients coincidentally happens to also be reading this thread.

With that said, I think your letter is generally good, with one notable exception. You write: "Unilateral mistake is not a defense to breach of contract." This is not correct.

Unilateral mistake may be a defense to breach of contract. It certainly is in Hawaii. See, e.g., Honda v. Board of Trutees of the Employees' Retirement System of the State of Hawai'i, 108 Hawai'i 212, 218 (2005). With that said, it is not a particularly attractive defense because, among other things, it doesn't apply if the party asserting it fairly bears the risk of the mistake. See id.; see also Restatement (Second) of Contracts § 154 (1979).

Let me put if this way: when defending a client against a breach of contract claim, if our only defense is unilateral mistake, I generally do not consider us to be in a very enviable position.
For a 'unilateral mistake' to be accepted as defense to breach a contract, what is the allowable time frame for HA to correct the fare? Can we also say that by allowing this fare to exist in HA's website for at least 4 days indicate that is not a unilateral mistake after all? Others could correct me here, but the fare had been in HA's website for at least 4 days before it was taken down.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 2:28 pm

Compromise itinerary

aloha

Last edited by soccerpapi; Aug 30, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.