Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Fare Gone) AA: LAX-SYD in (QF) FIRST $1242 AI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Fare Gone) AA: LAX-SYD in (QF) FIRST $1242 AI

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
AA cancels on hold reservation

I had an on hold reservation - but AA cancelled - could have been the fare code change.

I had booked near same time that I already had (refundable) reward tickets - and decided it was not worth the risk to ticket.

Had I booked and held at a different time - I would have ticketed. Oh well.

Get message:

Your reservation details cannot be retrieved at this time. This may be caused by changes made to the reservation outside of AA.com. Please contact AA Reservations.
Apparently done at 1:59pm CST - as the ticket time is now tomorrow at that time.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:39 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WillR
When the QF frequent flyer number is added (online), the reservation including Amadeus record locator automatically appears under 'my bookings' on the QF website.
Thanks.

This wouldn't work for me since I booked on AA.com and used AA FF#s.

The fact that it did show up in your "'my bookings" and showed the correct class (not talking about fare code) is good news.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:23 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by Sagy
Thanks.

This wouldn't work for me since I booked on AA.com and used AA FF#s.

The fact that it did show up in your "'my bookings" and showed the correct class (not talking about fare code) is good news.

I think you need the QF Record Locator...not the assigned AA Record Locator. In order to get this (I presume) you need to call AA, QF, a travel agent, or somebody "connected" that can look it up.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:01 pm

Qantas A380 On Sale Now.

At least according to their website ;-)

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/a380/global/en
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Robt760
I think you need the QF Record Locator...not the assigned AA Record Locator. In order to get this (I presume) you need to call AA, QF, a travel agent, or somebody "connected" that can look it up.
And you should WAIT 24 hours until you do so. If you've received confirmation WAIT. If you're showing a debit on your CC and maybe received a confirmation wait until at least the weekend to call anybody. AA gives you a 24 hour grace cancellation period, and I would advise against getting somebody digging through a reservation on this fare within that window.

Call next week, if you get screwed over your CC company can sort it out.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by cova
I had an on hold reservation - but AA cancelled - could have been the fare code change.

I had booked near same time that I already had (refundable) reward tickets - and decided it was not worth the risk to ticket.

Had I booked and held at a different time - I would have ticketed. Oh well.

Get message:

Your reservation details cannot be retrieved at this time. This may be caused by changes made to the reservation outside of AA.com. Please contact AA Reservations.
Apparently done at 1:59pm CST - as the ticket time is now tomorrow at that time.
Well, that's not really a surprise. You couldn't have expected that in a million years they would honor this hold, could you?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (2.4MM), DL Gold, Marriott Gold, Starwood Platinum (Lifetime), Hilton Gold
They must have raised the fare for first class to compensate. Just tried a few random dates and it is over $27,000 round trip. Bummer I missed out on this.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by CO_Bulkhead
They must have raised the fare for first class to compensate. Just tried a few random dates and it is over $27,000 round trip. Bummer I missed out on this.
You just got the full-fare pricing. AA.com roughly 26K for most dates.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:48 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Robt760
Originally Posted by bschaff1
And you should WAIT 24 hours until you do so. If you've received confirmation WAIT. If you're showing a debit on your CC and maybe received a confirmation wait until at least the weekend to call anybody. AA gives you a 24 hour grace cancellation period, and I would advise against getting somebody digging through a reservation on this fare within that window.

Call next week, if you get screwed over your CC company can sort it out.
Thanks, no way I'm calling anyone before my credit card is billed. I would probably wait until I paid it (or at least the billing cycle is closed) before I make any calls about this purchase.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, AS MVP Gold. Happily ex-1K, ex-Exec Plat, ex-DL Diamond for 5 years each
Only that they'll have to get pretty creative in their arguments if they want to try and cancel these. Fare rule coding changes aren't retroactive. Fare rules get changed all the time but what matters is what was in effect at the time of ticketing.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over retroactivity of the Fare Class change from A to Q. Whatever AA uses to try and weasel out of this will use some different argument.
AA isn't going to have to weasel out of this one. All of the fare rules I've seen for this fare *clearly* state Economy Class Travel. You'd have a really hard time arguing that the booking code supersedes the "plain language" of "Economy Class Travel" in the fare rules (viz., your contract with AA). This is not like the BA "mistake" of a few weeks ago. Legal opinion: whereas BA claims will (and have been) holding up in small claims, AA isn't going to have to honor this one -- and you're going to have an uphill battle getting a judge to view it your way.

FWIW, if I hadn't read the fare rules before booking this one, I'd be doing some mad scrambling to get my $1000 back -- or I'd be heading to have my ambien scrip refilled, because 14 hours is a long time to spend in coach.

AA gives you a 24 hour grace cancellation period.
Actually, no, they don't -- you're thinking of DL (and others). AA allows holds, but no "courtesy cancel." Lots of threads on this in the AA forum.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ldpeters
AA isn't going to have to weasel out of this one. All of the fare rules I've seen for this fare *clearly* state Economy Class Travel. You'd have a really hard time arguing that the booking code supersedes the "plain language" of "Economy Class Travel" in the fare rules (viz., your contract with AA).
IANAL, but my understanding is that it is not legal for the "fine print" to directly conflict with the "big print", and in cases that it does the "big print" will apply.

So in this case we've got the "big print" of the website itself, the confirmation email, the seat selection all of which clearly state 'Cabin : First' and 'Booking Class : A' and the "fine print" of the fare rules which state Economy.

Clearly they directly conflict, and thus the 'fine print' does not apply.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I'd be heading to have my ambien scrip refilled, because 14 hours is a long time to spend in coach.
I'll wash down my ambien with some Krug on the flight over. Maybe Dom Perignon, but I've heard Krug is better.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:44 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
FWIW, if I hadn't read the fare rules before booking this one, I'd be doing some mad scrambling to get my $1000 back -- or I'd be heading to have my ambien scrip refilled, because 14 hours is a long time to spend in coach.
Why? AA/QF cannot make you sit in coach after you searched for and purchased what is clearly advertised as a first class ticket. They could try to use the fare rules as an excuse to cancel the ticket outright, but to tell you that you've bought a non-refundable coach ticket would be ludicrous.

If they took such a ridiculous position, I have zero doubt that any credit card company would hesitate to provide a full refund upon dispute.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:44 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
I'll wash down my ambien with some Krug on the flight over. Maybe Dom Perignon, but I've heard Krug is better.
Krug is better.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Well I am ticketed on the A380 with seats assigned F both ways. The website says that the Booking Code is A. I had a second reservation on hold that was cancelled so good thing I got one in.

Of note, a few years ago I purchased a ticket in C on AC to south america through expedia. A lot of FT'ers purchased this mistake. In the end, I got my money back and the EQMs on United I would have received anyways, but only after a lot of angry phone calls and being accused of stealing from AC by a phone agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.