FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - (Fare Gone) AA: LAX-SYD in (QF) FIRST $1242 AI
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:25 pm
ldpeters

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, AS MVP Gold. Happily ex-1K, ex-Exec Plat, ex-DL Diamond for 5 years each
Only that they'll have to get pretty creative in their arguments if they want to try and cancel these. Fare rule coding changes aren't retroactive. Fare rules get changed all the time but what matters is what was in effect at the time of ticketing.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over retroactivity of the Fare Class change from A to Q. Whatever AA uses to try and weasel out of this will use some different argument.
AA isn't going to have to weasel out of this one. All of the fare rules I've seen for this fare *clearly* state Economy Class Travel. You'd have a really hard time arguing that the booking code supersedes the "plain language" of "Economy Class Travel" in the fare rules (viz., your contract with AA). This is not like the BA "mistake" of a few weeks ago. Legal opinion: whereas BA claims will (and have been) holding up in small claims, AA isn't going to have to honor this one -- and you're going to have an uphill battle getting a judge to view it your way.

FWIW, if I hadn't read the fare rules before booking this one, I'd be doing some mad scrambling to get my $1000 back -- or I'd be heading to have my ambien scrip refilled, because 14 hours is a long time to spend in coach.

Originally Posted by bschaff1
AA gives you a 24 hour grace cancellation period.
Actually, no, they don't -- you're thinking of DL (and others). AA allows holds, but no "courtesy cancel." Lots of threads on this in the AA forum.