Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Fare Gone) AA: LAX-SYD in (QF) FIRST $1242 AI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Fare Gone) AA: LAX-SYD in (QF) FIRST $1242 AI

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
lol yeah, that's probably not for the best... do keep your fellow FTers in mind!

I don't know if they can/can't deny boarding but they definitely can't change/cancel your ticket without you physically presenting it to them.

I called EXP desk to change my BA paper ticket and they said they couldn't touch it - I had to bring it in.
I don't/won't call AA to discuss it in too much detail, I want my reservation to still be under the radar, but this opens an interesting twist... anyone have experience with Paper tickets.. the last one I had was back in 2001-2, as a non-elite... and it was just a regular ticket...

So if they can't change it without me presenting the ticket, it would improve the odds of it being honored... any advice fellow FTs?
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jfkeze
I'm waiting, it seems that it's 100 bucks.. I'll give it a day... I'll drop by, inquire at the office the real cost and see what to do... I mean I'm not one to rock the boat, in any way shape or form... But I think that if you have a paper ticket issued, they cannot deny boarding, right?????
They can deny boarding for hundreds of reasons however it would be MUCH more difficult for AA to mess with your reservation. The cupons are basically underwritten checks for QF to get reimbursed by AA one of the reasons why every travel agency in the old days kept the ticket stock in a safe ! Therefore QF would not really have a lot of motivation to deny you boarding as their payment is guaranteed.

If you show up with an e-ticket confirmation but AA messed around with your cupons beforehand, adjusting them to Q / Economy then you may be in a less fortunate position.

That being said, I would think paper tickets only make sense for people with booking class A to seal their deal ! I dont see the point for Q cupons to be printed except the printed itinerary would say First. Then you could argue AA even issued you the booked fare under supervision of a ticketing agent, referring to negligence / liability.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:11 am

OK, I got my ticket on Orbitz, but I did a search for First class and that was the fare that popped up...
The reservation on AA.com shows up as:

First
A

So I'm definitely a A fare per AA.com... so continuing with this thought process, a paper ticket with an A fare would significantly cement my case... right?
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:18 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
I don't/won't call AA to discuss it in too much detail, I want my reservation to still be under the radar, but this opens an interesting twist... anyone have experience with Paper tickets.. the last one I had was back in 2001-2, as a non-elite... and it was just a regular ticket...
Certainly do not call AA and mention your reservation details. The paper ticket looks very similar to a regular ticket, but it actually a set of flight coupons.

So if they can't change it without me presenting the ticket, it would improve the odds of it being honored... any advice fellow FTs?
I still have my AA issued BA ticket intact, so I'd say it wouldn't hurt.

Also, the booking code on the paper tickets will match what you see online, segment by segment.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
OK, I got my ticket on Orbitz, but I did a search for First class and that was the fare that popped up...

First
A

So I'm definitely a A fare per AA.com... so continuing with this thought process, a paper ticket with an A fare would significantly cement my case... right?
I would think so. The AA office is next to Grand Central IIRC !?

Can you get paper tickets from AA even though you purchased from Orbitz ? That I dont know.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Can you get paper tickets from AA even though you purchased from Orbitz ?
Yes, as long as they are issued on AA stock (001), AA can convert them for you.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold

First
A

Not so fast. Everyone's ticket is showing "A" as the booking code on aa.com. You don't know if your underlying fare code is A or Q. aa.com does not indicate this once the ticket is purchased. You very well may be on a Q fare, and that would definitely show up on a paper ticket.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justforfun
Not so fast. Everyone's ticket is showing "A" as the booking code on aa.com. You don't know if your underlying fare code is A or Q. aa.com does not indicate this once the ticket is purchased. You very well may be on a Q fare, and that would definitely show up on a paper ticket.
Yes but that would be irrelevant. Having a trained representative issuing you that tix (instead of a computer) will most certainly trump the argument "THERE it says fare code Q@@@") because 1. you do not see any fare regulations and 2. it would be the TAs duty to doublecheck ticket conditions before the tix gets plated.

And then, you still have the "blank checks" for QF
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by justforfun
Good point - I would confirm the fare basis on the AA Refunds site, first.

https://www.refunds.aa.com/

Enter ticket #, last name, and click go. It will bring up your itinerary and fare basis for each leg.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:33 am

the fare for this one pops up as QL0QP1Y , But, it did show up as First under AA.com/Orbitz/AA Emails/Orbitz emails etc...
Quoting my self here... again the fare does show up as QL0QP1Y and sorry in advance for the wall of text (from orbitz.com)

Code:
Fare basis code: QL0QP1Y

Penalties

This ticket is non-refundable. Changes to this ticket will incur an airline change fee of $250 per ticket and an Orbitz exchange fee of $30 per ticket.

CANCELLATIONS ANY TIME TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE IN CASE OF CANCEL/NO-SHOW/ REFUND. WAIVED FOR SCHEDULE CHANGE/ILLNESS OR DEATH OF PASSENGER OR FAMILY MEMBER. NOTE - WAIVER ALSO APPLIES FOR TRAVELING COMPANION. TICKET HAS NO VALUE UNLESS TICKETED FLIGHTS ARE CANCELLED PRIOR TO TICKETED DEPARTURE TIME. CHANGES ANY TIME CHARGE USD 250.00. WAIVED FOR SCHEDULE CHANGE/ILLNESS OR DEATH OF PASSENGER OR FAMILY MEMBER. NOTE - WAIVER ALSO APPLIES TO TRAVELING COMPANION. THE ORIGINAL NON-REFUNDABLE AMOUNT REMAINS NON-REFUNDABLE. CHANGES ARE PERMITTED PRIOR TO THE TICKETED DEPARTURE TIME OF EACH FLIGHT PROVIDED THE NEW ITINERARY MEETS ALL THE PROVISIONS OF THE NEW FARE PURCHASED I.E. ADVANCE RESERVATION/TICKET PURCHASE MINIMUM /MAXIMUM STAY REQUIREMENTS. ITINERARIES MAY BE REBOOKED AND TRAVEL MUST COMMENCE UP TO ONE YEAR FROM THE ORIGINAL TICKET ISSUE DATE PROVIDED TICKETED FLIGHT IS CANCELLED PRIOR TO TICKETED DEPARTURE TIME. IF TICKETED FLIGHT IS NOT CANCELLED PRIOR TO TICKETED DEPARTURE TIME TICKET HAS NO VALUE. TICKETS AT THESE FARES MAY NOT BE REVALIDATED TICKETS MUST BE REISSUED. FARE DIFFERENCE AND CHANGE FEE MUST BE PAID AND TICKETS MUST BE REISSUED WHEN THE ITINERARY IS REBOOKED. WHEN THE ITINERARY RESULTS IN A HIGHER FARE THE DIFFERENCE WILL BE ADD COLLECTED AND THE USD 250.00 CHANGE FEE WILL APPLY. WHEN THE ITINERARY RESULTS IN A LOWER FARE NO REFUNDS WILL BE MADE HOWEVER THE DIFFERENCE IN FARE WILL BE RETURNED TO THE PASSENGER IN THE FORM OF A NON REFUNDABLE TRAVEL VOUCHER WHICH MAY BE APPLIED TOWARDS THE PURCHASE OF A TICKET VALID FOR TRANSPORTATION GOVERNED BY AA. THE USD 250.00 CHANGE FEE WILL APPLY.
Return to top
Travel Restrictions

TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS: NO RESTRICTION
Return to top
Blackout Dates

BLACKOUT DATES: NO RESTRICTION
Return to top
Seasonality

PERMITTED 01MAY 10 THROUGH 08JUN 10 OR 24JUL 10 THROUGH 21SEP 10 ON THE OUTBOUND TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.
Return to top
Flight Applications

THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY AS FLIGHT AA FLIGHTS 6750 THROUGH 7128 AA FLIGHTS 7454 THROUGH 7637 AA FLIGHTS 8050 THROUGH 8099. AND THE FARE COMPONENT MUST INCLUDE TRAVEL VIA EACH TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR BUT NOT ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING AA FLIGHTS 7950 THROUGH 7969. AND THE FARE COMPONENT MUST INCLUDE TRAVEL VIA EACH TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING AA FLIGHTS 7290 THROUGH 7423.
Return to top
Day/Time Application

DAY/TIME APPLICATION: NO RESTRICTION
Return to top
Minimum Stay

MINIMUM STAY: NO RESTRICTION
Return to top
Maximum Stay

TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO LATER THAN MIDNIGHT 12 MONTHS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.
Return to top
Surcharges (included in your fare)

IF INFANT UNDER 02 WITHOUT A SEAT. OR - CONTRACT BULK INFANT WITHOUT A SEAT UNDER 02. OR - MILITARY INFANT WITHOUT A SEAT UNDER 02. OR - INE UNDER 02. OR - INCLUSIVE TOUR INFANT WITHOUT A SEAT UNDER 02. A SECURITY SURCHARGE OF HKD 33 PER COUPON WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR DEPARTURE FROM HKG AIRPORT. NOTE - SURCHARGE APPLIES TO - 1/ INFANTS 2/ PASSENGERS TRANSFERRING/TRANSITING HONG KONG 3/ PASSENGERS TRAVELLING ON INDUSTRY/AGENGY DISCOUNT /ID/AD/ TICKETS 4/ PASSENGERS HOLDING DIPLOMATIC PASSPORTS A SECURITY SURCHARGE OF HKD 33 PER COUPON WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR DEPARTURE FROM HKG AIRPORT. NOTE - SURCHARGE APPLIES TO - 1/ PASSENGERS TRANSFERRING/TRANSITING HONG KONG 2/ PASSENGERS TRAVELLING ON INDUSTRY/AGENGY DISCOUNT /ID/AD/ TICKETS 3/ PASSENGERS HOLDING DIPLOMATIC PASSPORTS AND - TO THE UNITED STATES - AN AIRPORT/TERMINAL SURCHARGE OF USD 4.80 PER COUPON WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR INTERNATIONAL SECTORS IN DFW. AND - A SURCHARGE OF USD 80.00 OR AUD 85.00 PER COUPON WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRANSPACIFIC SECTORS. AND - ORIGINATING THE UNITED STATES - A SURCHARGE OF USD 170.00 PER COUPON WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRANSATLANTIC SECTORS.
Return to top
Other discount/miscellaneous mileage info

SENIOR CITIZEN 62 OR OLDER - NO DISCOUNT.
Return to top
Accompanied Travel

ACCOMPANIED TRAVEL: NO RESTRICTION
Return to top
Eligibility

ELIGIBILITY: NO RESTRICTION
Return to top
Application Rule

PROMOTIONAL FARES BETWEEN AREA 3 AND AREA 1 APPLICATION AREA THESE FARES APPLY BETWEEN AREA 3/AREA 1. CLASS OF SERVICE THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE. TYPES OF TRANSPORTATION FARES GOVERNED BY THIS RULE CAN BE USED TO CREATE ONE-WAY/ROUND-TRIP/CIRCLE-TRIP/OPEN-JAW JOURNEYS. THESE FARES MAY BE USED FOR INDIVIDUAL INCLUSIVE TOURS. CAPACITY LIMITATIONS THE CARRIER SHALL LIMIT THE NUMBER OF PASSENGERS CARRIED ON ANY ONE FLIGHT AT FARES GOVERNED BY THIS RULE AND SUCH FARES WILL NOT NECESSARILY BE AVAILABLE ON ALL FLIGHTS. THE NUMBER OF SEATS WHICH THE CARRIER SHALL MAKE AVAILABLE ON A GIVEN FLIGHT WILL BE DETERMINED BY THE CARRIERS BEST JUDGMENT RULES NOT APPLICABLE 35 PASSENGER EXPENSES EN ROUTE.
Return to top
Advance reservations/ticketing

RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL SECTORS. WHEN RESERVATIONS ARE MADE AT LEAST 7 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN 3 DAYS AFTER RESERVATIONS ARE MADE. NOTE - FOR TRAVEL AGENCY BOOKINGS MADE IN MEXICO / THE CARIBBEAN / CENTRAL AND SOUTH AMERICA - AA WILL ASSESS A USD 25.00 FEE ON ANY UNTICKETED RESERVATION NOT CANCELED BEFORE DEPARTURE. OR - RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL SECTORS. TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN 1 DAY AFTER RESERVATIONS ARE MADE. NOTE - FOR TRAVEL AGENCY BOOKINGS MADE IN MEXICO / THE CARIBBEAN / CENTRAL AND SOUTH AMERICA - AA WILL ASSESS A USD 25.00 FEE ON ANY UNTICKETED RESERVATION NOT CANCELED BEFORE DEPARTURE.
Return to top
Combinability

DOUBLE OPEN JAWS NOT PERMITTED. ADD-ONS PERMITTED. END-ON-END END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED. VALIDATE ADJACENT LINE OF FLIGHT FARE COMPONENTS ONLY. TRAVEL MUST BE VIA THE POINT OF COMBINATION. END-ON-END NOTE - ADDONS NOT PERMITTED OPEN JAWS/ROUND TRIPS/CIRCLE TRIPS FARES MAY BE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS WITH AA FARES -TO FORM SINGLE OPEN JAWS -TO FORM ROUND TRIPS EXCEPT FOR AROUND-THE-WORLD FARES -TO FORM CIRCLE TRIPS EXCEPT FOR AROUND-THE-WORLD FARES. PROVIDED - COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE IN ANY RULE IN TARIFF IPRP - BETWEEN THE USA/CANADA-AREA 2/3 VIA PAC IPRPC - BETWEEN AREA 1-AREA 2/3 VIA PAC IPRSAAS - BETWEEN AREA 1-AREA 3 VIA PAC OR RULE 7100/8005 IN TARIFF PAMAAR - BETWEEN AREA 1-AREA 3 VIA PAC.
Return to top
Transfers

2 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION FREE FREE BETWEEN AA AND QF IN AUSTRALIA IN EACH DIRECTION FREE BETWEEN AA AND QF IN NEW ZEALAND IN EACH DIRECTION. AND - UNLIMITED TRANSFERS PERMITTED ON THE FARE COMPONENT ONLINE ON THE PRIMARY CARRIER FARE BREAK AND EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS PERMITTED ON THE FARE COMPONENT.
Return to top
Stopovers

2 STOPOVERS PERMITTED LIMITED TO 1 FREE AND 1 AT USD 150.00. 1 FREE IN AKL/SYD 1 IN AKL/SYD AT USD 150.00. CHILD/INFANT DISCOUNTS APPLY.
Return to top
Paper ticket

This ticket has a lost paper-ticket fee of $250 per ticket.
Return to top
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
And then, you still have the "blank checks" for QF
I wonder exactly how the payments get made. AA collected the money so they have to distribute it to QF. But how much are they on the hook for? They only collected ~$1500 so do they give out a proportion of that or is there a fixed rate based on the fare basis?

This was an AA fare on AA stock, so it makes sense they are liable. However, with the BA tickets, it was a BA fare, but many were issued on AA stock. If BA were going to get fixed amounts regardless, then I don't think they would have canceled the AA issued tickets.

Is it the issuing carrier that is liable or the carrier that publishes the fare? I would think the latter, but I'm not sure. If this were a QF fare, then I think they would still try to get out of the AA issued tickets.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:41 am

Quoting my self here... again the fare does show up as QL0QP1Y and sorry in advance for the wall of text (from orbitz.com)

Code:
Fare basis code: QL0QP1Y
Well, if you do decide to get the tickets in paper, your segments will still have 'A' code, although the fare construction (the mumbo jumbo of fare + taxes in tiny print) will have your Q fare basis.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, VS Gold, SPG Plat, Le Club Plat, Amex Plat
Well, if you do decide to get the tickets in paper, your segments will still have 'A' code, although the fare construction (the mumbo jumbo of fare + taxes in tiny print) will have your Q fare basis.
What exactly are the benefits of a paper ticket in this situation?
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by thomdis
What exactly are the benefits of a paper ticket in this situation?
I got mixed feelings, it would in theory show A fare and first Seats on paper, which would make it hard for AA to change... but the mumbo jumbo fine print Q fare would contradict the "reflected" A fare

ehh it's almost 3 AM... ZzzZzz gonna let this one rest till morning...
Old Jan 8, 2010, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder exactly how the payments get made. AA collected the money so they have to distribute it to QF. But how much are they on the hook for? They only collected ~$1500 so do they give out a proportion of that or is there a fixed rate based on the fare basis?
They are on the hook for whatever price AA purchases alotment in First / A on QF flights. Thats negotiated in codeshare agreements.

I'm not 100% sure but I would think there are things like collateral agreements, maybe even a liability insurance for cases like this. AA will not be out of 20K per ticket, in case the fare gets honored they will somehow talk with QF and agree to a certain amount of compensation, maybe on the basis of an award ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.