FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/)
-   -   UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals/1851332-ua-usa-china-oj-303-ai.html)

Toronto1970 Jul 20, 2017 8:15 am

Originally Posted by gba (Post 28582061)
Does anybody have experience doing TWOV flying into HGH and out of PVG? As I read TIMATIC this should be allowed:

[KVS Tool 8.4.7/Diamond - TIMATIC: Visa/Entry Requirements]
Code:

National USA (US)              /Embarkation USA (US)
Transit China (People's Rep.) (CN)
Destination Japan (JP)         
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

[Visa Information - Transit] China (People's Rep.) (CN)

[Information For Normal Passports]
TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Visa required, except for Nationals of USA holding confirmed
onward air, cruise or train tickets to a third country,
arriving and departing from any one of the following
locations: Hangzhou (HGH), Nanjing Lukou (NKG), Shanghai
Hongqiao (SHA) or Shanghai Pudong (PVG) for a maximum of 144
hours, starting from 00:01 on the day following the day of
entry. (SEE NOTE 75232)

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g2....Transits.html

According to the summary on tripadvisor, the answer is yes for the 144 hour visa:

- You enter the country through one of these eligible airports and leave from another of these airports. So you do not need to leave the country by departing from the airport in the same city that you arrived in as long as the arriving and departing airport are among this list of four (You can arrive in Shanghai and leave from Hangzhou for example);

Note that they claim this isn't true for the 72-hour visa:

- You will leave the country by departing from the airport in the same city that you arrived in (for Shanghai you can arrive at one airport and leave from the other);

Oj778 Jul 20, 2017 2:23 pm

Thanks OP!, Firstly this is still available, I just booked this AWESOME trip, directly on the United Airlines website (not using Google Flights or ITA), for $340 USD/person. Warning: the website was extremely glitchy pricing out this itinerary:

Outbound:

-Burlington Vermont (BTV) -Chicago (ORD)
22 HOUR LAYOVER IN CHICAGO

-Chicago (ORD) to Guam (GUM) (via Honolulu Hawaii, 55 minute layover)
-23 HOUR LAYOVER IN GUAM

-Guam (GUM) to Tokyo Japan (NRT)
-14 HOUR LAYOVER IN TOKYO

Tokyo Japan (NRT) to Hangzhou China (HGH)

RETURN:

Hangzhou China (HGH) to Hong Kong (HKG)
14 LAYOVER IN HONG KONG

Hong Kong (HKG) to Chicago (ORD) (3 hour layover in Chicago)

Chicago (ORD) to Ottawa (YOW)

Out of all the destinations, I'm actually looking forward to seeing Guam the most... 23 hour layover in Guam is awesome. Also 14 hour layovers in both Tokyo and Hong Kong... super excited. My girlfriend never been to Chicago and always wanted to go, even though its for only 22 hours... she'll love it.

Kmxu Jul 20, 2017 4:57 pm

Good job!

Your reservation is most complicated on this board. Congratulations.
At Guam, you won't get a car if you do not book one before you arrive. At Hangzhou, you should get some cash with you. In other places, you can survive without cash.
Have a good journey.

Originally Posted by Oj778 (Post 28585154)
Thanks OP!, Firstly this is still available, I just booked this AWESOME trip, directly on the United Airlines website (not using Google Flights or ITA), for $340 USD/person. Warning: the website was extremely glitchy pricing out this itinerary:

Outbound:

-23 HOUR LAYOVER IN GUAM

RETURN:

14 LAYOVER IN HONG KONG

Out of all the destinations, I'm actually looking forward to seeing Guam the most... 23 hour layover in Guam is awesome. Also 14 hour layovers in both Tokyo and Hong Kong... super excited. My girlfriend never been to Chicago and always wanted to go, even though its for only 22 hours... she'll love it.

mpiotrow Jul 21, 2017 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Oj778 (Post 28585154)

Outbound:

-23 HOUR LAYOVER IN GUAM

RETURN:

14 LAYOVER IN HONG KONG

Out of curiosity, what dates are you flying? That looks like a great trip! Congratulations on finding/booking that!

pushmyredbutton Jul 21, 2017 10:35 am

Originally Posted by mpiotrow (Post 28588037)
Out of curiosity, what dates are you flying? That looks like a great trip! Congratulations on finding/booking that!

Yeah, I'm curious about this as well. I can mostly get the construction on UA.com (long layovers are a must due to the flight options), but it is quite buggy with the per-leg pricing.

I can't seem to get it to price into G class though.

Oj778 Jul 21, 2017 10:46 am

Originally Posted by mpiotrow (Post 28588037)

March 20: BTV-ORD
March 21: ORD-HNL-GUM
March 23: GUM-NRT
March 24: NRT-HGH (ANA)

April 3: HGH-HKG (Dragonair)
April 4: HKG-ORD-YOW

Priced in G class

Parker512 Jul 21, 2017 6:48 pm

Was anyone able to get this to work with the United Island Hopper? I've been trying for days but I can only get the nonstop from HNL to GUM.

rustykettel Jul 21, 2017 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Parker512 (Post 28590185)
Was anyone able to get this to work with the United Island Hopper? I've been trying for days but I can only get the nonstop from HNL to GUM.

Have you checked the fare rules? I think it prohibits the Island Hopper but I'm fuzzy on the memory.

Parker512 Jul 21, 2017 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel (Post 28590376)
Have you checked the fare rules? I think it prohibits the Island Hopper but I'm fuzzy on the memory.

I've read it but the only flight it specifically mentions as a no go is UA 154 from GUM to PVG. From what I also get out of it there might be some small surcharges for the Island Hopper. Then again I'm not great at reading the fare rules.

stevenmirabito Jul 22, 2017 12:17 am

Has anyone found a combo that works in the late December/early January timeframe? I played around with the dates and stops a bit and it looks like the ~$300 fares don't pop up until mid-January.

rustykettel Jul 22, 2017 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Parker512 (Post 28590510)
I've read it but the only flight it specifically mentions as a no go is UA 154 from GUM to PVG. From what I also get out of it there might be some small surcharges for the Island Hopper. Then again I'm not great at reading the fare rules.

Ah, that must be it. i conflated the specific flight restriction with the surcharge for the Island Hopper.

1KChinito Jul 22, 2017 8:43 am

Originally Posted by stevenmirabito (Post 28590938)
Has anyone found a combo that works in the late December/early January timeframe? I played around with the dates and stops a bit and it looks like the ~$300 fares don't pop up until mid-January.

Could be Christmas and New Year blackout dates.

as219 Jul 22, 2017 9:18 am

Many thanks to the OP!

I pulled the trigger on LGA-HKG-HGH-SFO-DEN-LGA-XXX for ~$380 including two days in Hangzhao. Could have routed via GUM, but since I couldn't make a stopover work, it didn't appeal so much. Now I have 24 hours to decide if I actually want to do this!

(HKG-HGH-SFO is TWOV eligible, right?)

pushmyredbutton Jul 22, 2017 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Parker512 (Post 28590510)

Yeah from all the itineraries i've constructed, the hopper comes back at significantly more ($300 vs $1000), even though there is the right fare class available.

The only way you can get the hopper to work would be to SDC to it, and that will be problematic on the outbound since you can't SDC when there's a partner flight on the reservation, so you'd only be able to do it on the way back, and you'd need to budget enough time in GUM/HNL in order to make the longer hopper work.

swgsword Jul 22, 2017 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by as219 (Post 28591976)
Many thanks to the OP!

I pulled the trigger on LGA-HKG-HGH-SFO-DEN-LGA-XXX for ~$380 including two days in Hangzhao. Could have routed via GUM, but since I couldn't make a stopover work, it didn't appeal so much. Now I have 24 hours to decide if I actually want to do this!

(HKG-HGH-SFO is TWOV eligible, right?)

How did you get a LGA-HKG flight? Was it from EWR?

And yes, HKG-HGH-SFO is eligible, only the flights immediately arriving into and departing from China matters for the third country rule.