FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/)
-   -   UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals/1851332-ua-usa-china-oj-303-ai.html)

rustykettel Jul 7, 2017 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by FLA77 (Post 28532090)
Any thoughts or related experience anyone would want to share?

Call me gun shy, but I wouldn't book on the same carrier I'm throwing away subsequent legs. That's just a red flag that it's intentional.

Toronto1970 Jul 7, 2017 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by FLA77 (Post 28532090)
Question: flying back, I have a four hour layover in ORD on the way to YTZ, which is not my intended final destination. I plan to book a flight from ORD on UA to my real destination.

I realize it was a typo, but I dream that I can fly one day on UA between ORD and YTZ! (CO once announced EWR-YTZ service but it never came to fruition)

bxg101g Jul 7, 2017 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by CJPacker (Post 28527614)
Hi, New to this. Was thinking to tale the EWR-HKG-CAN // PVG-SFO-YVR in early September - $323. Make a vacation of it with a 2+ week stay. From what i've read all major airlines have move to $ based mileage rewards. Is there still advantage as a mileage run? I've got credit card points of CITI Advantage of 61k And Chase BA card w point at 83K but i dont think they do any good for the UA flight. If i open a UA card and get the 50K point bonus, then also possibly the MQM's? But i already have 6 cards with points. lol
TKS :)

To get status, you need the miles and the money. You can meet the money by either charging $25,000 on the credit card or the required amount of money on flights (for silver it is $3000). With the card you can get a free checked bag and more access to flights when book with miles.

Pat89339 Jul 7, 2017 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by bxg101g (Post 28532462)
To get status, you need the miles and the money. You can meet the money by either charging $25,000 on the credit card or the required amount of money on flights (for silver it is $3000). With the card you can get a free checked bag and more access to flights when book with miles.

If you have an out of the country address for your MileagePlus account, the PQDs are waived.

EmailKid Jul 7, 2017 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Toronto1970 (Post 28532435)
I realize it was a typo, but I dream that I can fly one day on UA between ORD and YTZ! (CO once announced EWR-YTZ service but it never came to fruition)

UA is removing Dash 8 from its fleet (believe some will remain), and those are the only birds that can land and take off at Billy Bishop (OK, not only ones, but no large jets). Runway extension requests have been turned down up till now.

And new UA does not like to fly to secondary airports.

One of the reasons why Southwest is making a killing at DAL is that they leased UA's two gates (for an obscene amount of money) and are keeping planes full. Only Virgin seems to be in UA's shoes, as they have the only other (2) gates and can't seem to make it work either.

vickh Jul 8, 2017 10:33 pm

From PHX-Shenzen/Beijing?

Kmxu Jul 9, 2017 7:28 am

I am afraid that you cannot find a good fare for this itinerary. Shenzhen is too close to HKG (a short ferry ride), which is one of the stops for this great deal. You may want to think of positioning to certain cities (a separate reservation). You may want to play with some google links on this thread, for example, post #88 (BTV, BOS and BDL, all for $282). If your goal is mileage run, the stopover cities in China do not matter. You will be better off by stopping at HGH and PVG, instead of Shenzhen and Beijing. Good luck.

ejmelton Jul 9, 2017 11:19 am

Combined Status Run & Mini Vacation

Thanks to all of the FTers that shared Google Flights!

I was able to find ORD-HKG-HGH-ORD-YUL over the Thanksgiving holiday for $313. Over 17k BIS miles (1.8 cents per mile.)

1KChinito Jul 9, 2017 11:55 am

Originally Posted by ejmelton (Post 28538594)
Thanks to all of the FTers that shared Google Flights!

I was able to find ORD-HKG-HGH-ORD-YUL over the Thanksgiving holiday for $313. Over 17k BIS miles (1.8 cents per mile.)

This very low $/mile is also great for someone who is close to 1M or 2M.

riphamilton Jul 9, 2017 6:07 pm

these (flights ex-BDL/PVD, with an EWR return) are perfect for me, except that i'd like to fly in oct/nov of this year.

i'm more than willing to do the legwork (i've already started); but i'll ask for one hint - do i have to 'click through' all of the segments on google flights to for it to calculate the lower price, or will the initial price quoted be accurate? i know sometimes there's a discrepancy. thanks!

EDIT: google flights was essentially 100% at giving an accurate initial quote. no need to click through all of the segments.

ended up routing BOS-LAX-SFO-HKG-HGH-SFO-IAD-YUL in october for $282ai (1.47cpm). unreal. thanks!

EDIT 2: if you're truly sick, you can route this via HNL and GUM for >20k PQM after 500mi minimums (20551mi @1.37cpm): https://goo.gl/flights/4HXL

maybe hope for a misconnect and some beach time?

Originally Posted by Clincher (Post 28530687)
There are a number of +- $300 fares from Northeast. I guess it depends on how far and convenient these cities are from your home. Here are some samples out of Hartford BDL, Providence PVD, Boston BOS, Burlington BTV. I understand there may be more outbound cities in Washington DC and Virginia airports.
Leaves on a Friday and return on Sunday, Monday/Tuesday. Also, with this routing there is no need to figure out how to get from Hong Kong to Hangzhou. These samples are round trip in and out of Hangzhou, near Shanghai is a great place to visit if you can swing the visa for a longer stay.

tr71123 Jul 10, 2017 8:44 am

First off. Awesome find!!

I booked ORD-HKG-HGH-YVR for 331 for MLK weekend. I'm actually taking my 13 year old daughter on her first milage run!

Does anyone know what happens if the flight goes wait listed after being booked? The HKG-HGH is operated by Dragon Air and allows me to book it but the premier desk says I've been wait listed for it.

Any tips on what I need to do?

Thanks all

FaBSy Jul 10, 2017 9:24 am

Originally Posted by riphamilton (Post 28539844)

EDIT 2: if you're truly sick, you can route this via HNL and GUM for >20k PQM after 500mi minimums (20551mi @1.37cpm): https://goo.gl/flights/4HXL

Such a great find and fare. We over here in europe can only dream of something like this :(
Anyone got such a good fare in early september or august? May be even worth flying to the US for it.
Are these <1h connections even possible to make it?

1KChinito Jul 10, 2017 10:15 am

Originally Posted by riphamilton (Post 28539844)

Mileage runners are not sick, we are adventurous.:D.

kemichu Jul 11, 2017 10:27 am

been trying to find some dates in the first 2 weeks of october, but i must be doing something wrong since its all coming up as over 1k

Can someone give me a hand?
Looking for EWR to HKG (stop 3-4days) then routing back through EWR, which then i will skip the last leg

Toronto1970 Jul 11, 2017 10:52 am

Originally Posted by kemichu (Post 28547170)
been trying to find some dates in the first 2 weeks of october, but i must be doing something wrong since its all coming up as over 1k

Can someone give me a hand?
Looking for EWR to HKG (stop 3-4days) then routing back through EWR, which then i will skip the last leg

I don't believe the fare rules allow for a stopover in HKG. See the rules in post 58 of this thread.