FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/)
-   -   UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals/1851332-ua-usa-china-oj-303-ai.html)

CJPacker Jul 6, 2017 12:16 pm

forgot to mention the Fair Rules are
pair
City Fare class Fare basis code:
EWR-CAN G GLX77EM2
BJS-YVR G GLX03DM7

1KChinito Jul 6, 2017 12:20 pm

Google flight search still works. Getting error message doing a similar search on united.com. United maybe pulling this fare, if not already, so act quickly.

False alarm. United.com still offers the same fare.

Toronto1970 Jul 6, 2017 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Toronto1970 (Post 28522806)
Just booked EWR-HKG-HGH-SFO-IAH-IAD-YYZ in early April for $392US. Need to pay to get down to EWR for the positioning flight -- I couldn't find a way to make this work on one ticket starting from YYZ (is GLX03DM5 only valid leaving Asia?)

I'm going to answer my own question here:

I played around on ExpertFlyer, and it looks like for the months I searched next year (March and April), all of the G buckets on UA leaving from YYZ were totally zero'ed out (and in fact were 0 up until very high fare classes like B). From Asia back to YYZ there was lots of low-bucket seat availability.

I'm not sure what to make of this.

Pat89339 Jul 6, 2017 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by mpiotrow (Post 28527366)
When I view that itinerary on the UA website, it doesn't show me the PQD/EQM that will be earned. I've noticed that for most (maybe all) of the itineraries I've been looking at from this thread. Why is that? What am I doing wrong? Or how do I view the info...I'm guessing I don't actually have to book the flight in order to see it, right? Thanks!

united.com is a bit of a mess. If you want to see the PQD/EQM on the Book a Flight page, be sure to select Yes for "Show mileage earnings in search results?" That's the third to the last option before clicking on Search. Then select the Details option from the flight selection page for any flight that interests you.

mpiotrow Jul 6, 2017 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Pat89339 (Post 28527829)
united.com is a bit of a mess. If you want to see the PQD/EQM on the Book a Flight page, be sure to select Yes for "Show mileage earnings in search results?" That's the third to the last option before clicking on Search. Then select the Details option from the flight selection page for any flight that interests you.

I agree...that works if you're searching from the UA website, but if I'm just following a link from Google Flights, then I don't see that info because I'm not on the flight search page. Do I just need to go in and do a multi-city itinerary in order to view the PQD/EQM?

Kmxu Jul 6, 2017 1:38 pm

gcmap.com will provide you a good estimate of PQMs after you type in all airports (such as EWR-HKG, HGH-SFO-EWR). The CX flight (HKG-HGH or HKG-CAN) does not earn you any PQM/PQD (a few dollars). The taxes and fees part of this deal is close to $100.

Pat89339 Jul 6, 2017 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by mpiotrow (Post 28527849)
I agree...that works if you're searching from the UA website, but if I'm just following a link from Google Flights, then I don't see that info because I'm not on the flight search page. Do I just need to go in and do a multi-city itinerary in order to view the PQD/EQM?

Sadly, yes.

nobodyherebutme Jul 6, 2017 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Pat89339 (Post 28529030)
Sadly, yes.

What's the trick to getting united.com to return the same flights that Google Flights finds? When I try it, my $300 itinerary comes back as $3,000 or more.

cagcag Jul 7, 2017 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Toronto1970 (Post 28522806)
Just booked EWR-HKG-HGH-SFO-IAH-IAD-YYZ in early April for $392US. Need to pay to get down to EWR for the positioning flight -- I couldn't find a way to make this work on one ticket starting from YYZ (is GLX03DM5 only valid leaving Asia?)

KINDLY provide google flights link for 2018, ideally leaving from EWR. Looking for 2018 dates combinations. Thanks

Kmxu Jul 7, 2017 4:49 am

April 7-11.
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...,IADYOW0UA4772

March 31-April 4.
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...QB0UA4431;eo=e

cagcag Jul 7, 2017 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post 28530362)

Thanks much for your research and prompt response. I presume that sub-300$ fares not to be found in 2018?

Clincher Jul 7, 2017 6:56 am

Originally Posted by cagcag (Post 28530502)
Thanks much for your research and prompt response. I presume that sub-300$ fares not to be found in 2018?

There are a number of +- $300 fares from Northeast. I guess it depends on how far and convenient these cities are from your home. Here are some samples out of Hartford BDL, Providence PVD, Boston BOS, Burlington BTV. I understand there may be more outbound cities in Washington DC and Virginia airports.
Leaves on a Friday and return on Sunday, Monday/Tuesday. Also, with this routing there is no need to figure out how to get from Hong Kong to Hangzhou. These samples are round trip in and out of Hangzhou, near Shanghai is a great place to visit if you can swing the visa for a longer stay.

Two of these trips ($600 plus your return costs from YYZ) in the first quarter of 2018 will bring you nearer (+- 42kPQM) to UA gold thru Jan 2020. That is if you can meet all the other elite requirements set out by UA.

Kmxu Jul 7, 2017 7:32 am

Play with BDL link above. You can get off at EWR for $282. Hope that you can use it.
https://www.google.com/flights/?curr...-EWRYOW0UA4459

cagcag Jul 7, 2017 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post 28530798)
Play with BDL link above. You can get off at EWR for $282. Hope that you can use it.
https://www.google.com/flights/?curr...-EWRYOW0UA4459

Thanks again, my friend. I think this will work out, even out of BDL Looking to book additional flights with same itinerary. How are you able to find dates resulting in the same fare? Just trial and error? Or is there a more "advanced" method/

FLA77 Jul 7, 2017 1:14 pm

These fares turned out too good to pass, so I booked.

Question: flying back, I have a four hour layover in ORD on the way to YTZ, which is not my intended final destination. I plan to book a flight from ORD on UA to my real destination.

I have two options: 1- one that departs before the YYZ flight and 2- a better (cheap) one that departs after.

In my experience United combines separate tickets at times, and sometimes not. Which is why I am wondering whether the parallel bookings may be flagged and result in the cancellation of one of the flights.

Any thoughts or related experience anyone would want to share?