FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/)
-   -   UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals/1851332-ua-usa-china-oj-303-ai.html)

pushmyredbutton Jul 30, 2017 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Tblack15 (Post 28626704)
Does everyone understand that this is a OJ self-dump and calling the airline to move things around should be avoided at all costs?

If one looks at HKG, PVG or PEK RT, it's $560 at the lowest (for me), but somehow when you include a KA or CX segment in the middle, then OJ it to Canada, it's $282.. Yes, it's a trick. Yes, it's published. Book it while it lasts and avoid calling UA and showing a human your itinerary.

Quite aware its an OJ self-dump...and until those types of tricks die, care should be taken.

But with that said, in a situation like this where a route has been outright cancelled, things get a little more sticky. UA has historically not automatically rebooked people on other flights when a future schedule change occurs, requiring pax to call in to reissue their own ticket. Sure one could advocate waiting until the deal dies, but at what point does it then become acceptable? The people who book this from blogs now see a "Call United to have your ticket reissued" message on their reservation and doubtful they will abide by our code of not calling the airline. This has been alive for well over a month and at some point calling to move things around becomes necessity with a route cancellation and refusal to reroute via the same airport.

as219 Jul 30, 2017 1:22 pm

I had no problem changing my ticket from NYC-HGH-NYC-YUL to NYC-HKG-NYC-YUL, though to be sure I did his yeasterday afternoon. (It did take an hour, but that's another story.) The NYC-YUL segment was not affected and was not an issue on my call with CS.

riphamilton Jul 30, 2017 1:35 pm

i wanted to cut out HGH, and then have some time in tokyo. my suggestion was HKG-HND on NH, continuing onto UA from there. i went through the twitter folks via DM, who gave me 3 options:

(1) pay my own way to tokyo, and then UA would pick up the rest. i wasn't interested in this
(2) on all UA metal, fly to NRT via GUM
(3) fly HKG directly to the states on UA metal

i was shocked (2) was offered, and took that. i'm now flying BOS-EWR-HNL-GUM-HKG, and spending 2 days in HKG. from there, HKG-GUM-NRT (9hr layover), NRT-ORD-YUL.

all UA metal, which is even better for me as i would like to SDC and get to hawaii a day early.

totals: 22076 PQM @1.28cpm. not bad!

rainrdx Jul 30, 2017 2:03 pm

The response I got from Twitter DM is quite positive:

"This is a very recent update so we are still working with other airlines to determine what alternative we will be offering out of HGH. Alternatively, you may be booked right now out of PVG, which is 103 miles away from HGH."

It seems that there may be alternative partner flights out of HGH (HGH-TPE-SFO, I am looking at you) to be rebooked on at a later date.

Flying Machine Jul 30, 2017 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by rainrdx (Post 28626891)
The response I got from Twitter DM is quite positive:

"This is a very recent update so we are still working with other airlines to determine what alternative we will be offering out of HGH. Alternatively, you may be booked right now out of PVG, which is 103 miles away from HGH."

It seems that there may be alternative partner flights out of HGH (HGH-TPE-SFO, I am looking at you) to be rebooked on at a later date.

Same as the SGN-HKG issue last year. Canned replies with ANA when the change first happened.. A few weeks later, have what ever you want within reason. Since it an OJ as some have stated. Wait.. is my advice then check in the next few weeks they may auto book you and if not call in.. all in your favor. Something will work out on other *Alliance carriers.. and PVG is not the end of the world if not..

Smiley90 Jul 30, 2017 2:35 pm

I just noticed this and am amazed the deal is still live.

Are HGH&PVG the only destinations this works for?

I'm YVR-based so wouldn't even need to throw away anything, just a short positioning flight.

Quinlanty Jul 30, 2017 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90 (Post 28626983)
I just noticed this and am amazed the deal is still live.

Are HGH&PVG the only destinations this works for?

I'm YVR-based so wouldn't even need to throw away anything, just a short positioning flight.

I saw an option for CAN (Guangzhou) & PEK. Its in one of the google flights links on this thread.

Kmxu Jul 30, 2017 6:37 pm

Labor Day "milk run."

About $325 for originating from RDU, BDL, BTV, BOS, and SFO. There may be some other cities with slightly higher fares. The routing goes through HNL-GUM-PVG/HGH-HKG(CX)-GUM-HNL-Canada cities. The total PQM could be as high as 21K. There will be one night hotel in Shanghai. You can skip the hotel to spend time at the Bund before taking the high-speed train to Hangzhou East station. You will walk inside the station to find the shuttle bus to Hangzhou Xiaoshan airport (very long walk, close to 10 min; the bus station is on your left hand side). You do not need a Chinese visa for this trip. Good luck.

https://www.google.com/flights/?gl#s...OW0UA3956;eo=e

FLA77 Jul 30, 2017 6:49 pm

Any sub $300 deals left?

I see people mentioning the deal is still alive, and while I see a few as low as $267 in September and October, I haven't found anything under $560ish in the November/December time frame. Has anyone seen any live deals in that time frame? I would love to grab a second!

FLA77 Jul 30, 2017 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by riphamilton (Post 28625474)
i would say essentially 100%, especially since a *A carrier (eva) flies the route nonstop.

I plan to call them asking for the TPE reroute. If the say no, I will wait to see what happens. Although just skipping the HKG- HGH and returning from HKG is perfectly acceptable for me too.

Something interesting that I just noticed as well is that while my original itinerary had me going from ORD to HNL to GUM to HKG, my new 'updated' itinerary, apart from the missing HGH-SFO segment has me going from ORD to SFO to HKG. it actually gets me there 3 hours earlier, and I am fine with it, but through all these years I hadn't come across this type of random unsolicited schedule change.

1353513636 Jul 30, 2017 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by FLA77 (Post 28627633)
I see people mentioning the deal is still alive, and while I see a few as low as $267 in September and October, I haven't found anything under $560ish in the November/December time frame. Has anyone seen any live deals in that time frame? I would love to grab a second!

Booked a $300 SFO-HKG-HGH//PVG-SFO-YVR for Thanksgiving time today.

FLA77 Jul 31, 2017 6:27 am

Originally Posted by 1353513636 (Post 28628321)
Booked a $300 SFO-HKG-HGH//PVG-SFO-YVR for Thanksgiving time today.

Thanks. I have been looking for east coast origins and destinations, which may be why I haven't found any. I will look at those dates and see what comes up.

flyer777lr Jul 31, 2017 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by FLA77 (Post 28629101)
Thanks. I have been looking for east coast origins and destinations, which may be why I haven't found any. I will look at those dates and see what comes up.

Found $ 321 BOS IAH HNL GUM HKG HGH HKG GUM HNL SFO EWR YOW / YYZ -

Feb 2018

FLA77 Jul 31, 2017 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by flyer777lr (Post 28631500)
Found $ 321 BOS IAH HNL GUM HKG HGH HKG GUM HNL SFO EWR YOW / YYZ -

Feb 2018

Thanks. I will check it out. At this price, they are worth booking if only for just in case...

pushmyredbutton Jul 31, 2017 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by FLA77 (Post 28627709)
I plan to call them asking for the TPE reroute. If the say no, I will wait to see what happens. Although just skipping the HKG- HGH and returning from HKG is perfectly acceptable for me too.

Were you successful? I contacted them via Twitter and they continually refused any *A re-routings (for any leg) but were able to pretty much do anything I wanted as long as it was all UA flights.
I ended up cancelling the HKG-HGH segment and returning straight from HKG, but was also offered SIN, CTU or NRT when I suggested them.

Go figure :confused: