Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: ORD-DFW-HKG-CGK (Jakarta) r/t ~$920 in Sept/Oct (4.2 cpm)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA: ORD-DFW-HKG-CGK (Jakarta) r/t ~$920 in Sept/Oct (4.2 cpm)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by skunker
There is a report in the LAX-HKG thread that you will get credit for DCA-DFW-HKG and not just DCA-HKG, even though it is the same flight number. I'm sure it is a YMMV as he appears to have broken the flights to upgrade. But, if you can get credit for all legs then you are looking at 27,282 miles. That's 3.5 CPM and one sore BIS.
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=lax-dca...kg-dfw-dca-lax
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
It appears this books into Q fares on Cathay Pacific. According to AA.com you earn zero EQM's or miles on flights operated by CW, is this not correct? So it will actually be less miles than people are posting on here.

Earn Miles
Earn miles when flying on Cathay Pacific marketed and operated flights for travel on an eligible published fare ticket. Miles are also earned on Cathay Pacific codeshare flights operated by oneworld carriers and oneworld affiliates.

Travel on Cathay Pacific Airways and affiliate airlines counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership.

Class of Service Purchased Fares Booked in:* Base Miles (elite status qualifying) Class of Service Bonus Miles Elite Qualifying Points per Mile Earned
First Class A, F 100% 50% 1.50
Business Class C, D, I, J 100% 25% 1.50
Premium Economy Class** W, R, Eˆ 100% 10% 1.50
Full Fare Economy Class Y, B 100% 1.50
Economy Class H 100% 1.00
No Mileage Credit* K, M, L, V, Q, S, G, N 0% n/a
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by william142
It appears this books into Q fares on Cathay Pacific. According to AA.com you earn zero EQM's or miles on flights operated by CW, is this not correct?

Not correct, you can earn EQM on some CX fare bucket tickets. I earned 100% on them when I was rebooked onto them due to IRROPS. I think i ended up in Y. Got 100% miles from CX and then also got Original Routing Credit for my AA/JAL originally booked flights.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by ericgdukie44
Not correct, you can earn EQM on some CX fare bucket tickets. I earned 100% on them when I was rebooked onto them due to IRROPS. I think i ended up in Y. Got 100% miles from CX and then also got Original Routing Credit for my AA/JAL originally booked flights.
But this particular fare books into "Q" which clearly says no mileage earning. How do you get around that?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:29 am

But this particular fare books into "Q" which clearly says no mileage earning. How do you get around that?
There's nothing to get around. The itinerary just posted has the CX flights as AA codeshares, so they earn 100%.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:29 am

Simple. If it's an AA codeshare (on any airline) then you earn as if it is AA metal.

Make sure you get all AA codes, and you will earn miles. See my example in post 163.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by skunker
Simple. If it's an AA codeshare (on any airline) then you earn as if it is AA metal.

Make sure you get all AA codes, and you will earn miles. See my example in post 163.
Learn something new everyday. I always thought that it was dependent on which carrier flying not if codeshare... Also, do you have to split reservation in order to get full mileage credit, IE the DCA-DFW mileage? or has anyone tried without splitting and still have it post?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:40 am

Learn something new everyday. I always thought that it was dependent on which carrier flying not if codeshare... Also, do you have to split reservation in order to get full mileage credit, IE the DCA-DFW mileage? or has anyone tried without splitting and still have it post?
Other programs are like that; I believe UA does it by metal.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by cakflyer
Hey everyone - just curious of any suggestions for somewhere to crash in CGK. I'll be getting in at 0100 and leave same day at 2100... I couldn't score the earlier flight out for the lower price on my dates. Is it worth getting a room at FM7? / will they do a late check out? Thanks!
Unless you strongly want to touch downtown, your situation is ideal for staying near the airport. A good sleep, breakfast, spa/massage/shower, some email/browsing and you'd be ready to head back to the airport. Find a place that will let you do a late checkout, even with a small surcharge.

If you must touch the city, remember you won't have time for more than one major attraction. Therefore decide if you are interested in a particular shopping mall, specific shopping (eg, batiks), monument, museum, etc., and choose a hotel nearby. There would be no traffic at 1 AM obviously, but getting back to the airport could be slow. I had decent experience at Favehotel Wahid Hasyim, but nearby Kosenda, Ibis, Cipta all looked good. If you can splurge for just one day, try Grand Hyatt; otherwise just go to their lounge for a beverage and view.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT., Marriott LT GLD
Actual Miles CGK-NRT?

Can anyone who has had the actual AA miles from a CGK-NRT AA code share segement post provide me the actual miles? I am close enough to my 100K that it does matter what actual vs the Great Circle Mapper comes out to. Many thanks.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by planecrashlaw
Can anyone who has had the actual AA miles from a CGK-NRT AA code share segement post provide me the actual miles? I am close enough to my 100K that it does matter what actual vs the Great Circle Mapper comes out to. Many thanks.
I flew NRT-CGK (AA8499) and 3614 miles were posted.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by aglp2k
I flew NRT-CGK (AA8499) and 3614 miles were posted.
Yup, it was 3614 each way for me as well. Apparently they cheat you by 6 miles because gsmap gives 3620.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Carlson/HHonors GLD, National Ex, Hertz Gld, AMEX Plat
Yep, mine posted for full credit as well. Also, as for what to do on the layover, if you're a Starwood person and need a check-in, the Sheraton Bandara is within a $5 cab ride of the airport and as a category 2 is reasonably priced. You can go rest, swim, or get a massage and catch the free shuttle that leaves every 30 mins back to the airport.

Just finished this run and had a great time! Did HKG on the way over and NRT on the way back. Cleared both SWUs, and had a y row to myself to sleep on the JAL flight from CGK-NRT. The lounges at both HKG and NRT make this a fantastic trip if you're OWE.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Just returned from this trip and here are some thoughts.

DFW-NRT cleared into J 3~ days before the flight, despite 19 unsold seats (actual loads, not looking at seatmap) for two weeks before the flight. Y was fairly open, though F and J were full.

Sat next to another mileage runner who was just going to NRT for a day or two and then heading back to ORD. The first of many on this trip

NRT-CGK: Ended up in the satellite JL F lounge, which was not as nice as the one in the main terminal. Poor food offerings, though the wifi worked and the champagne was flowing ^

Flight was on a 767-300ER, which had 30 people (in J/Y). Asked about an u/g at the lounge, but they apologized multiple times and said there was nothing they could do.. J went out with 6~ people. Fortunately the seat next to me and the aisle next to my friend was blocked, though its still a cramped seat for somebody 6'+.

Food was meh.

VOA was very easy in CGK. They take USD and give change, so no worries about having exact change. Even appeared to take CAD.

(we flew on to DPS for two days on Garuda. Very good flights with GA and had a nice time in Bali)

CGK-NRT: When checking in, I spotted two other FTers who were doing the run from LAX. We also saw another EXP doing the same thing, though he said he is just a lurker on FT.

Had to pay the airport tax at check-in, which is not disclosed anywhere on the ticket I bought from AA. Also had the same racket with GA, which is quite annoying. No disclosure, whatsoever.

This flight was operated by a 77W, which only had 90 people onboard. 1 in F, 8~ in J, maybe 6~ in Prem. Y, and the rest in Y. Asked for an u/g at check-in and they offered to give me Prem. Y, but for $200. No thanks.

The aisle and middle in my row were blocked, and the four other EXP on the flight had the same thing happen. Certainly made it easier to sleep, as we each had a lie-flat Y seat a.k.a. ghetto J

NRT-ORD: Had 12 hours in NRT, so I booked a day room at the Hilton NRT to dump bags and shower. Went into the city and visited the fish market, the gardens nearby, and grabbed some sushi.

Was very pleased to see that the main JL F lounge added a sushi bar since I visited in April on my way to SIN. Excellent sushi (tuna and shrimp). Free flowing champagne, which was much better than the swill AA was serving.

SWU cleared Sat for the Mon departure. 14 J seats unsold two weeks before the flight.

Decent flight, though meals were definitely downgraded from what the AA J experience used to offer. Another cut by Douggie and Hector the Hatchet Man.

Arrived ORD 25~ mins late and waited a bit longer for CBP to conduct passport checks on the jetbridge. They were checking names, so obviously looking for somebody.

GE kiosks were moved into a center space, and now the area is very congested. Upside is that you no longer have to stop to talk to the Officer once finished with the kiosks. Just proceed straight to the exit (didn't see a GE exit).

Got a decent CBP Officer who when I mentioned that I was mileage running, smiled and wished me good luck. ^
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Carlson/HHonors GLD, National Ex, Hertz Gld, AMEX Plat
Elaborating on the above, (BTW hi FriendlySkies, great to meet you guys & glad you made it back too!) we found that the length of wait to do VOA in CGK varies wildly depending on when you arrive and how quickly you find the line. Advice- go right to the counter where you buy the visa, have exact change, and then get in line before everyone else.

Also, if you're on the 777-300 on JL and hoping for a row to yourself to lie down, avoid the exit rows/bulkhead rows. These seats all have immovable arm rests, even when not directly adjacent to an exit door. In comparison to the CX flight down though, the JL plane is nice metal.

As said above, definitely also a great trip for stumbling upon other Flyertalkers. I think I met about 7 or 8

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.